Main Menu

Bix Barton was good.

Started by Jayzus B. Christ, 28 November, 2002, 02:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayzus B. Christ

Having just seen Bix Barton in another thread; can I just say that although the series were slated, I liked Bix Barton. So now.
I thought it made very good use of social satire; and was among the few genuinely funny comedy series in 2000ad (as were certain other Milligan comedy series). It was certainly funnier than most of Sinister Dexter's half-arsed throwaway quips. I remember a comics journal saying that Bix Barton was Milligan 'insulting our intelligence and his own', but me, I thought it was scripted like a (slightly) futuristic Blackadder.  The only dodgy thing was Jim McCarthy's unpleasant coloured artwork. It was fine how it started, in black and white.
The bit with Paul Daniels was my favourite bit.

Now: Attack me! I'm ready.

paulvonscott

No, I always liked Bix, agree about those colours too.  it was just a nice bit of milligan weirdness.

Slippery PD

I always felt that Bix beniffited from an reread, as the art was sometimes rather troublesome to follow IIRC.  It was never the worst thing in 2000ad

yer slippo

satchmo

I always liked Bix and Michael Cane,it had some really funny and subtle stuff in it,Steve Ditto I remember made me laugh a lot..
I can't believe people hold it in such low esteem,compared to the rubbish it ran alongside(Harlem Heroes for a start) and several current thrills(sindex is on part 6 has anything happened yet?)

Smiley

Always in two minds about Bix Barton. Most of it was self-indulgent twaddle, but had a few genuinely funny moments. Like Bix teaching a lost tribe to play Rugby, urging some strapping young warriors on and panting "That's right! Wrestle me to the ground! Wrestle me to the ground!"

2000AD Online

michael cane is a comidic genius

Trout

Okay, I'll bite.

I hated Bix Barton. It was unfunny, the art was sloppy and the story went absolutely nowhere.

We are better off for its abscence, IMHO.

- Trout

Bolt-01

No it wasn't. not really. I can't even bring myself to read it now.

Dave6795

Devons Daddy

i tried but it never appealed to me.
art was a bit off as well. looked like it was being drawn in a hurry, i was never able to get into the world he was supposed to inhabit.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Banners

Of course Bix Barton was good - It was written by Pete Milligan! If not the most gifted & innovative comics writer of the 90s (for Vertigo especially), then certainly my favourite.

Agree some of Jim McCarthy's colours were lurid, but it matched the surreal tone of the stories, which were original, clever and packed with a knowing kind of humour - that was great for everyone who was in on the joke.

I see a 'Shade' of Pete Milligan's humour in some of the recent SinDex - but Abnett lacks genuine wit and seems able to merely manage simple farce.

I reckon Bix Barton was wonderful - great franchise potential too. And 2000AD was all the better for it.

M@

ukdane

Another underused character that I would like to see return (but only if Milligan is on writing duty!).
Cheers

-Daney

Wood

I loved Bix.

My particular favourites were the Bloated Case of the Fatted Keef... and The Case of the Full English Breakfast (about a possessed breakfast. "AAAAGH! Croissants!!!")

Queen Firey-Bou

Was it more unpopular with scots readers? cos i couldn't stand all the carry-on, rugby, brit humor of it, just not something i could relate too, but i could see how it should have been funny, it just wasn't for me. as well as there being too much snot & vomit... I am remebering the right story huh? not just the colours?