Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Spaceghost on 06 November, 2014, 10:01:20 AM
Also, having a Deerhoof binge. I could try and describe what they sound like, but you're better off listening to a bit yourself. The drummer is brilliant - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7etn2czISU&list=ALBTKoXRg38BC4CJEugKzOXHTISMT-b6-x

One of my top three bands and responsible for some of the best gigs I have ever been to. Really must get my hands on the new album. Sounds like its a lot better than their last 'Break Up Songs' which is about the only bum note in there glittering back-catalogue... well the stuff after John Dieterich joined in 1999 that is. I tend to ignore their earlier stuff as I don't get on with it!

Just a brilliant brilliant band and if you don't know them you bloomin' well should check them out.         

Spaceghost

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 06 November, 2014, 01:21:12 PM
Sounds like its a lot better than their last 'Break Up Songs' which is about the only bum note in there glittering back-catalogue

It took a good few listens, but I prefer Breakup Song to Deerhoof vs Evil now, although I can find something to like in everything they've done.

Good to meet another fan!
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Spaceghost on 06 November, 2014, 02:02:02 PM
Sounds like its a lot better than their last 'Break Up Songs' which is about the only bum note in there glittering back-catalogue

It took a good few listens, but I prefer Breakup Song to Deerhoof vs Evil now, although I can find something to like in everything they've done.

Trust me I've tried. It breaks my heart to not like a 'Hoof record but I just don't get on with it. Maybe one day. That said I'm also a fan of Vs Evil which clearly not best is still a very under-rated record.

I'm lucky up here there's a number of my friends who dig da 'Hoof. We discovered them in 2004 when going to our first ATP (and whatever my mate Jeff says it was me what found them, ya hear me, me) and when we save them live there that was it a love for life was born.

We saw them at the Brudenell Social Club in Leeds (well okay it may have been the Irish Centre but I'm sure it was Brudenell)  and in one of the great gig moments of my life they decided since the crowd was relatively small to take their gear off the stage and play in the crowd. As we were at the front it was incredibly intermit! Well in a crowded room rockin' out kinda way! Just incredible.

I've also embarrassed myself when very drunk in front of them... but that's a different story!

Spaceghost

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 06 November, 2014, 08:32:03 PM
Quote from: Spaceghost on 06 November, 2014, 02:02:02 PM

Trust me I've tried. It breaks my heart to not like a 'Hoof record but I just don't get on with it. Maybe one day. That said I'm also a fan of Vs Evil which clearly not best is still a very under-rated record.

I'm lucky up here there's a number of my friends who dig da 'Hoof. We discovered them in 2004 when going to our first ATP (and whatever my mate Jeff says it was me what found them, ya hear me, me) and when we save them live there that was it a love for life was born.

We saw them at the Brudenell Social Club in Leeds (well okay it may have been the Irish Centre but I'm sure it was Brudenell)  and in one of the great gig moments of my life they decided since the crowd was relatively small to take their gear off the stage and play in the crowd. As we were at the front it was incredibly intermit! Well in a crowded room rockin' out kinda way! Just incredible.

I've also embarrassed myself when very drunk in front of them... but that's a different story!

There's a good chance we were at the same gig (wherever it was!) as I've seen them live at both the Irish Centre AND the Brudenell. The Irish Centre gig was for the Friend Opportunity tour, and the Brudenell was just after the release of Offend Maggie. Brilliant gigs, both of them.

And yeah, I introduced all my friends to them too. ;)
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Colin YNWA

Yep seen them on both those tours, so we will have been at the gigs at the same time given THEY NEVER BLOODY PLAY SHEFFIELD... my one beef with them.

Noisybast

My post-breakup angry metal phase has finally burnt itself out and I went to see Arthur Brown play in Liverpool last night. Excellent stuff! I picked up a copy of his new album while I was at it, so that's this evening's listening sorted, then.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

CrazyFoxMachine

I missed him in Bristol recently which is a damned shame - seen him quite a few times he's always amazing.

Frank

This takes the idea of the power of repetition to magnificent new highs of annoyance. He's done that Deadmau5/Se7en thing with his name:

Shift K3Y - Not Into It:   http://youtu.be/juDBRj65bTI?t=1m2s

8-Ball

Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Greg M.

Quote from: Albion on 24 October, 2014, 02:34:18 PM
Primus and The Chocolate Factory

Finally got my hands on this. Absolutely as mad as one would expect - Les Claypool and Willy Wonka are, with hindsight, a remarkably obvious pairing. Never has the phrase "I've got a golden twinkle in my eye" sounded so sinister.

Joy Division - Heart and Soul boxset

It's the right time of year for it.  :)

I, Cosh

Quote from: 303 on 12 November, 2014, 09:53:43 PM
Joy Division - Heart and Soul boxset

It's the right time of year for it.  :)
Haven't had that on for a while. It was worth every penny just for that crazy, early version of Atmosphere.
We never really die.

SuperSurfer

Caught the end of Dusk till Dawn the other day. Some fine tunes in that, which I've been listening to eg The Blasters 'Dark night' and ZZ Top 'She's just killing me'.

Just got The Beatles In Mono CD boxset today, that's the next few days listening sorted.

8-Ball

It breaks my heart that this has vocals but I do love the shit out of this...

Mogwai - Teenage Exorcists http://youtu.be/5Jgo7qZbsH4
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.