Main Menu

Ex Machina.

Started by dweezil2, 19 March, 2013, 07:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

That's fantastic news. Onwards and upwards, Mr Garland!

I really need to make time to get my arse down to the cinema - maybe double-bill it with Avengers.

The Adventurer

About a week ago a coworker comes up to be asking, "have you heard anything about this new sci-fi Ex Machina?" I said "No" and immediately opened up my iPad to Apple trailers to see what was up. The wonders of modern technology, no?

From there a quick google search lead me to IMDB and Wikipedia. Seeing the name Alex Garland attached as writer/director definitely got my eyebrow up. 28 Days Latter, Sunshine, DREDD... guy's had his hand in some pretty good pies.

I'm actually surprised that this is his directorial debut. For some reason I thought he had directed those other films. I really should pay more attention.

At any rate, Ex Machina. Its a techno thriller about artificial intelligence and its perceived dangers. In a secluded compound far from society the world's first artificial intelligent machine has been built and computer programmer Caleb has won a chance to interact with it to determine if its intelligence is real or simply programmed algorithm.

In many ways I'd describe it as a lower key Blade Runner, focusing more on a protracted Voight-Kampff experiment (or in this care, the real world 'Turing Test'). The movie is very much a thriller, with tension you can cut with a knife. And unlike in many similar science fiction films, it actually asks (and even sometimes answers) some of the more obvious questions the audience might be asking. Which definitely made this sci-fi nut happy.

In many respects I don't agree with the films conclusions about artificial intelligence, but it definitely touches on some of the fears today's top minds have on the subject (as the trailer I watched was very overt in presenting). But its an EXCELLENT film. Smart and just a little unnerving*. I highly recommend checking it out. Unfortunately its not getting wide showing, I actually got lucky and a local art house theater was doing a showing. None of the big chain theaters seem to have it, despite my seeing advertising on the major TV networks. BAFFLING. Did it get wider play in the UK already?

*going into the flick I actually was not sure if it was an out and out horror film based on the trailer. Its not.

For the 2000 AD bunch, Ex Machina is basically a really great [spoiler]Future Shock[/spoiler]

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Adventurer on 02 May, 2015, 03:29:54 AM
None of the big chain theaters seem to have it, despite my seeing advertising on the major TV networks. BAFFLING. Did it get wider play in the UK already?

It all ready had its nationwide release in the UK last January. It's getting a slow roll-out in the US because it's an indie film released by a small distributor so it takes a few weeks to go nationwide and all depends on how well it's selling. It's now playing in 1,255 cinemas.

It's playing at AMC and Regal.

JOE SOAP

The indie Ex Machina has now made more than Dredd in the US with less promotion.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=exmachina.htm

Beating Spring Breakers it's the highest earner for indie distributor A24.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?studio=a24.htm

radiator

Any idea what the budget for EM was? I imagine it's probably quite a bit less than Dredd - around $15-20m?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 11 May, 2015, 12:47:53 AM
Any idea what the budget for EM was? I imagine it's probably quite a bit less than Dredd - around $15-20m?

$16.4 million, apparently.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Good for Mr Alex Garland. I hope Marvel or DC offer him a few film franchises like Iron Man/Batman but I suspect Alex is more interested in smaller indie films that he can control rather than working as a hired hand. After all some writers in Hollywood are so shocked at the re writes, studio tampering  and being credited [or not] over Films they've worked on that their advice is to try writing for Television instead. 
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

radiator

Garland's talents have not gone unnoticed, and he is apparently signed up to write and direct a trilogy based on the 'Annihilation' books for Universal, with Natalie Portman in talks for the lead role. From what I've heard about the books it sounds right up his street - grown up, character-based sci fi.

radiator

Maybe it's also time to dust off that old script he wrote for Halo?

Hawkmumbler

Still yet to actually see it, but got warned before hand that their is a few instances of ableist language against autistic people. I find this stuff incredibly upsetting and is guarentied to ruin my enjoyment of a film so if anyone has any recolection and could shed some light on this I would be grateful.

Steve Green

I didn't recall anything.

I looked up the script and found one line of dialogue about Ava making a joke, and one of the characters describing her functioning in a non-autistic way.

Of course lines may have been added/changed.

Sorry I can't help further.

maryanddavid

Having just watched it and thats the only mention I think was in it Steve/Hawk. Enjoyable film, it had a bit of the 'I knew the end, just not how it played out' but well played out!

Hawkmumbler

Well thanks for that Steve, David.

Though honestly I find the description of something as 'non-autistic' incredibly unpleasant and actually rather shitty but, context. I'll watch the damn thing before I get my knickers in a twist.

Link Prime

Quote from: maryanddavid on 01 June, 2015, 12:45:27 AM
Enjoyable film, it had a bit of the 'I knew the end, just not how it played out' but well played out!

Yeah, a late bit predictable, but a very entertaining film.
[spoiler]The inevitable murder was handled brilliantly[/spoiler]- quite chilling.

Zanti Misfit

Finally saw this film today, and yes, mostly enjoyed it. I could see where it was heading perhaps too easily[spoiler](Once again, Frankenstein's monster turns against creator [/spoiler] but it was stylish, atmospheric,thought provoking +cool soundtrack. 
[spoiler](Though I would have tried to escape with the very lovely Kyoko instead of Ava ;))[/spoiler]