Main Menu

IDW JUDGE DREDD G/N

Started by W. R. Logan, 01 July, 2013, 01:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. R. Logan

Just read the IDW collection reprinting issues #1 to #4 and my first impression was thank god I didn't buy it (I was lent it) and so glad my Dredd completist addiction has been cured.
Whilst not everything was the worst thing I've ever read featuring Dredd on the whole it was very close.
About the only saving grace is the cover looks ok and will look ok on your bookshelf as long as no one looks inside and the Greg Staples pic inside.
These four issues I'm sure have been discussed to death but tapatalk doesn't make finding them easy.
Whilst not buying the IDW series my only concern would be if any fresh American readers come to Dredd via this then they must surely wonder how Dredd has lasted so long and have such a following in the UK.

Proudhuff

I gave up on this after issue two, however the Year One stuff is class and I'd recommend that, can't wait for the Trade
DDT did a job on me

Alfaro

Just got mine in the post. It doesn't really capture Dredd, just feels like generic future cop. I'm curious to see where the story is gonna go but it had damn well better improve.
@DJ_AlphaT

sheldipez

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 01 July, 2013, 01:09:14 PM
Whilst not buying the IDW series my only concern would be if any fresh American readers come to Dredd via this then they must surely wonder how Dredd has lasted so long and have such a following in the UK.

That's just you comparing this version to what you know and love with the ol' rose tinted glasses. IDW's Dredd has been swimming in constant 4/5 review scores since it started.

Bat King

Not sure Logan can be accused of rose tinted glasses...

The storytelling in the IDW ongoing is not as strong as the average in 2000AD. The character of Dredd is hit & miss. It isn't awful but it isn't good.

But, is it cultural? It may be, I've expressed before that I don't know if I don't like it because I am a Brit. Yes we Brits broadly 'get' US writing in books,comics, TV and film but at times we don't. Similarly the broad US don't always get our things.

Year One though, same setting as their ongoing series, not 2000AD setting. It is cracking!

If you haven't tried Year One do consider it. 1st issue review here http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/2013/03/23/judge-dredd-year-one/
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Richmond Clements

Quote from: sheldipez on 04 July, 2013, 01:21:36 AM
Quote from: W. R. Logan on 01 July, 2013, 01:09:14 PM

That's just you comparing this version to what you know and love with the ol' rose tinted glasses. IDW's Dredd has been swimming in constant 4/5 review scores since it started.

Rose tinted glasses? No.
Comparing it? Absolutely, and it comes up wanting.

W. R. Logan

Isn't Dredd, Dredd no matter who writes it?
Different writers and artists bring different things to each story and we've had our share of bad writers and artists appear in 2000 or the Megazine over the years but the IDW stories I've read don't feel like Dredd.
Would it be rose tinted glasses is a Brit writer or artist treated an American icon like Superman or Batman in the same way.

Jo-L

I haven't hated it as much as some.  Perhaps I am looking at this series juxtaposed to the DC series that came out some years ago, but if you're going to reinvent the series for a new audience, I don't hate the new direction, in fact I rather enjoy Dredd in the 24 page format, which is really a very different medium than the 5-6 page anthology strips.

That said...  the 2000AD version IS the "real" version.  I'd much prefer getting the word about Dredd and 2000 AD to my fellow Americans.  Unfortunately, there are real problems here in the U.S. getting the "real" Dredd though:

1.) Years of continuity discourage the new reader
2.) Cost of the prog 5$ an issue thru Diamond?, weekly? WOW!
3.) Irregularity, inconsistency, and high price of reprints

Proudhuff

Quote from: Bat King on 04 July, 2013, 01:44:23 AM

Year One though, same setting as their ongoing series, not 2000AD setting. It is cracking!

Are you sure about this? Can't recall having read that anywhere else
DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jo-L on 04 July, 2013, 07:43:21 AM

You understand that you get 28 pages of strip for those five bucks, yes?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Bat King

Not 100% sure it is the same setting no. But my best guess, given it different quite match the official version in some details.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

sheldipez

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 July, 2013, 09:55:41 AM
Quote from: Jo-L on 04 July, 2013, 07:43:21 AM

You understand that you get 28 pages of strip for those five bucks, yes?

On much better paper stock than what Marvel use too.

Quote from: Proudhuff on 04 July, 2013, 09:47:57 AM
Quote from: Bat King on 04 July, 2013, 01:44:23 AM

Are you sure about this? Can't recall having read that anywhere else

Matt Smith says in this interview that Year One is within IDW continuity.

Banners

Having seen the mess that the regular series appears to have become (I gave up a few issues back), and the quality of Year One, especially in how well it matches the tone of the regualr Dredd, Mr. Smith may wish to retcon that statement.

James Stacey

I don't think there has been anything to contradict the 2000ad continuity in Year One and lots to tie it into. Whereas the main IDW series has clearly gone its own way.

Recrewt

Quote from: James Stacey on 04 July, 2013, 10:43:30 AM
I don't think there has been anything to contradict the 2000ad continuity in Year One and lots to tie it into. Whereas the main IDW series has clearly gone its own way.

No - but why burden yourself with all the decades of continuity when you can start fresh with something that is basically aimed at a new market?  Matt clearly knows the score so he is not going to write any major discrepancies.

Year One has been outstanding and I must admit, I have not seen much of the main IDW strip, but I have seen several comments say that this is more of an 'all ages' comic. Plus - it is aimed at the US market.  Just look at some of the stuff Marvel/DC put out that sells well over there!