Main Menu

You know what thought did.

Started by karne, 12 February, 2003, 04:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karne

You know when you get one of those obscure, bizarre and usually unanswerable thoughts popping into your head, but there's never anyone around to share it with?

You know the type of thoughts I mean: Why don't fish drown? Why are colours all different and are we all myriad splinters of one single schizophrenic being? All the things we take for granted, but seem unlikely when you really think about them, that sort of thing.

Well here's your chance to unburden your mind of all of those annoying little things that make no sense and get in the way of you living a healthy well adjusted life, whilst giving the rest of the boarders the chance to solve life's little, and not so little mysteries.

My current musing's are:

Telephone's transmitting your voice, how unlikely is that?

What inspired someone to mix all those ingredients together, bake them at just the right temperature, and produce a cake? (Or indeed any recipe).

Why do so many people reject the existence of supernatural events, but accept the cycle of reproduction and birth unquestionably? (That's VERY unlikely when you think about it).

Feel free to attempt answers, and add questions of your own, but I'll leave you with one final thought:

Remember, just because evidence can be provided to justify why some thing is possible does not make it any less unlikely.

El Spurioso

Why do cows, horses and sheep - which all eat grass - produce such utterly different types of cack?

ukdane

Cheers

-Daney

The Enigmatic Dr X

Eyebrows are supposed to keep sweat from getting into your eyes (which they do)

And men have nipples cos we start to develop female breasts as a foetus and then our chromosomes switch, we become blokes, and then they stop developing.

Christ, I can be a boring know-it-all.

Anyway, to bring down the tone, why are you never offended by  your own farts?
Lock up your spoons!

Mk13

>What's the point of eyebrows?

Accepted wisdonm is that they're there to protect the sticky out bits of your skull from damage when you drunkenly walk into doors, and to stop sweat from running into your eyes.

Oddboy

Also : Eyelashes are for stopping dust in the eyes...

Why doesn't the paint dry in the tin?
Better set your phaser to stun.

Mk13

>Why doesn't the paint dry in the tin?

Because paint drying is due to evaporation of a constituent component, whether water or a solvent, and in a sealed environment no evaporation is possible.

Same reason why wine or water doesn't dry up in the bottle.

rius

At what point does glue go from being just sticky slime to actually holding something solidly?

How do snails decide who's going to where then frilly underwear and who's going to roll over and go to sleep afterwards?

Politicians? What good do they actually do?

Mk13

Smiley

You can be underwhelmed or overwhelmed, but is anyone really just whelmed?

damnandblast

"War (huuuh!) What is it good for?"

The miltary-industrial complex.

Why does red mean stop?

Nigel

ukdane

Red also means danager, and port (as in left)
whilst Green means go and starboard (as in right)...
why?
Cheers

-Daney

Oddboy

Red is port because port is a kind of red wine.

Starboard could be the name of a fancy cocktail, which might be green, I don't know.
Better set your phaser to stun.

damnandblast

"Starboard could be the name of a fancy cocktail, which might be green, I don't know."

Starboard is a contraction of 'steering board' which, before the central (dorsal?) rudder was invented was a damn great paddle stuck over the right hand side of the boat to steer it. To avoid damaging the steering board boats were always moored with their left-hand sides to the harbour wall - hence 'port'.

Nigel (trivia spelunker)

Queen Firey-Bou

red is danger because its the colour of blood.
war is good for polititians.
polititians are good for makeing wars.
snails get to decide who wears the frillies with a lot less fuss & fairness that bigotted humans.
glue goes sticky because the gluey molecules are suspended in water or solvent base & when that evaporates they are forced to bond together.
people are allegedly not offended by their own farts , because i presume same reasons as dogs etc use their bodily stuff to mark their territory, primative instincts, same as why people are still scared of spiders etc.

why do girls squeal for attention & men spit when a lady looks straight at them ? instinctual beasts we are i tell you.

why do birds suddenly appear, every time you are near?