Main Menu

I'm going to jump!

Started by richerthanyou, 11 April, 2016, 12:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richerthanyou

It's finally time to make the leap to digital. After moaning about how much I hate ebooks and how much better a physical book is, I do not have the space to keep buying books, nor do I have the energy to lug them around with me.

So it is time for me to invest in an e-reader. And that is where you lovely people come in. Which is the best brand to go for? I've been looking at the Kobo N250. Amazons kindle is also high on the list. So in terms of ease of use and availability of material/file formats etc... what would you recommend?
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

IndigoPrime

It depends how much money you can afford, where you're going to be using it, and so on. Arguably, Kindle's the best bet for standard books, primarily on the basis that you know Amazon's going to stick around. As NOOK readers recently discovered, backing smaller horses can be a bad thing, not least when you consider you don't really own ebooks—you're just paying for an ongoing rental.

I'd strongly recommend trying devices in the flesh, too, to get a feel for their weight, screens, UI, and so on. (And, naturally, if you want to go further afield in digital, to comics and the like, you're probably best off with an iPad, if you can afford it, or a decent Android if not.)

The Enigmatic Dr X

I have a waterproof Kobo so I can read it in the bath/ swimming pool on holiday.

I've only ever used it while travelling.
Lock up your spoons!

von Boom

I have a kindle paperwhite, but suddenly after this last system update the power now drains in only a couple of days with the damned thing being turned off! I'm currently trying to find a solution, so I'd be wary of buying a new kindle device in case this is more than just my problem.

Mardroid

I've never come across that power draining issue!

I have a Kindle Paperwhite too. Or rather I did, as I recently lost it. I didn't worry about it too much when I became aware it was missing as I figured I'd probably just misplaced it in the house. After a recent room clean, I'm not so sure. I wonder if I left it on a bus. (I may contact their lost and found soon.)

I can read ebooks on my tablet which is also a Kindle. Its a HDX 8.9. It's very nice for that, so I'm not really in a rush to replace the other if its gone for good, but it would be a shame nonetheless. The Papetwhite was a great thing, just the right size for a book, and the battery life was amazing.

Although whether it would be if there's a dodgy update, is another thing!

von Boom

It's only started since this last update. It's clearly causing some sort of power drain as I got home last night and it was completely discharged yet again after only a couple of days.

I hope I can find a fix.

TordelBack

Jump! You fucker, jump!
Jump into this here blanket
What we are holding,
And you will be all right.
He jumped, hit the deck,
Broke his fucking neck:
There w-a-a-a-s no blanket.

In the immortal words of Derek and Clive, as sung in its entirety by my father on long family car journeys.  Sorry, it's been running around my head since this thread started, had to exorcise it.

JayzusB.Christ

One of my all-time favourites too. I've sung it loudly and drunkenly in otherwise quiet pubs.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Adventurer

I've had my iPad going on 4 years now, and it's one of the most effective and ifficent devices I have ever owned. And if you're going to be using it for comic reading it's fantastic.

The only thing is, I choose to buy a 32gb version over a 64gb. Not realizing that HD quality comics can be rather hefty in size. So I recommend the 64gb version for comics.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

IndigoPrime

Quote from: The Adventurer on 12 April, 2016, 07:40:46 PMThe only thing is, I choose to buy a 32gb version over a 64gb. Not realizing that HD quality comics can be rather hefty in size. So I recommend the 64gb version for comics.
What app do you use for comics reading? If you don't already use Chunky, try that (for PDF/CBR/CBZ/folders full of image files), pay the one-off IAP, and connect it to a local Mac/PC network share. That way, you can store all your comics on your network, and just download whatever you're reading to your device.

The Adventurer

Oh I use Chunky (I think you turned me on to it). and I take full advantage of its network connectivity. I still have to do a lot of juggling of content on a regular basis. I primarily use Chunky (for DRM-Free CBRs) and ComiXology (everything else). I was using the Viz Media and Dark Horse apps, but they both went on ComiXology in the last year so I just buy/read them there.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Rately

Currently using Comixology on my Kindle Fire HD and i absolutely love it.

Love being able to have a massive collection of books, comics etc. easily available to download dependant on what i fancy, as well as being able to buy graphic novels, new books and having them available to me instantly.

The option of being able to zoom in on the artwork, especially the likes of Quitely and James Stokoe's stuff, is also a massive plus.

Jim_Campbell

Chunky + 12" iPad Pro — just an amazing comic-reading experience. I never thought I'd let go of paper, but I'm on the verge of it.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mardroid

The score mentioned Kindle HDX 8.9 is my comic reader as well. (And main internet browser for that matter.) It does a pretty good job of it. Apart from my phone, it's my all round main gadget really.

IndigoPrime

Good to see the Chunky love (so to speak). Great upscaling, a lovely indie dev, and an app that actually lets you remove page transitions entirely (even if the dev admitted to me that was an accidental feature that arrived because he was trying to do something else).

The Adventurer: you obviously have WAY more comics at any given time than I do (or go high-res all the time—I quite often plump for faster download and take the quality hit).

Jim: for the short time I had a Pro to hand, Chunky wasn't ready, sadly (and just upscaled). It'd be really interesting to give the latest version a go on an even larger display.