Main Menu

Black Siddha + Reprints

Started by Flesh666, 06 March, 2003, 05:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flesh666

I can't comprehend why people prefer a mediocre dredd Story than the much more beautiful Family, or Black Siddha (Mills at what he does best if you ask me. Why so many reprints anyway? Darkie's Mob? Straight shit OK! The Megazine was supposed to have about 25% in reprints as i recall.

Marbles

I agree the 'Family' is excellent and Dredd was mediocre but 'Black Siddha' has failed to do anything for me so far. Nice art but dull and impenetrable plot IMO - still there is time for it to pick up.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

paulvonscott

Sopranos with superpowers and documentary spliced storyless Siddha vs. Judge Dredd and Darkie?  No contest.

Quirkafleeg

Family? Forget-about-it... anyway the real Sopranos is back on 4 next week, rock on!

Devons Daddy

for my money the meg has never been better.its finally lived up to it abiltiy.it is almost better then the weekly prog.which given the current standard is bloody amazing.

black siddha i am enjoying every moment
Dredd top stuff as always.
the family. very very good.
darkies mob, this is reprint.? come on this is classic stuff,it does not deserve the title reprint.its a rendetion of a classic.
no i have to say i disagree. the meg is totally blowing me away.never been finer.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Slippery PD

Well it is a matter of taste.  But in my humble opinion, dredd was OK.  Im enjoying Family, it has potential.  I like Darkies Mob, but Im not sure if thats because I loved Bad Company so much as a kid.  Black Siddha isnt exactly Mills at his best, its not quite dragon heist or time killer or Sky chariots or the gothic empire.  But its certainly better than it has been.  

As I said before these are only my opinions....

Yer Slippo

Oddboy

Is the new Meg out? Or is this a late review of the last one?
Better set your phaser to stun.

Devons Daddy

its a rarely sighted on topic thread here odd boy.
basically about the meg current month.
care to add your views.
the thread is not spoiler ridden its more disscusion related.
for a change.
I AM VERY BUSY!

NO 2000ad no life!

Oddboy

I would add my opinions - but it's been ages since I read the Meg & I can't remember what the Dredd story was...
Better set your phaser to stun.

rius

What I can't believe is that nobody on this thread has even mentioned Devlin Waugh! This is the one thing I most eagerly await in the Meg every month.

First off, its Devlin Waugh. Second, its the sequel to Swimming in Blood. Third, its Colin MacNeil at his most sublime (his art just keeps getting better and better!). And fourth... It's Devlin Waugh, ok?

DavidXBrunt

Yeah, Devlin is class.

Oh, and Mr. Nathan it was the 'Bride of Death' blind-date episode by Wagner and Gibson. It was really good too.

Devons Daddy

well said that man.
 devlin waugh, at his truly eccentric best. wonderful art,strong basic story,and plenty of his trademark one liners.an absolute thrill.
i find it hard to ever sight a time in the megs history when it has been this good.
and the dredd was a great spoof.nothing better then a light romp like that to add balance to the entire meg.

i have said it before and i will say it again.
under rebellion,we have seen a resurgence to the highest levels of  thrill power.
I AM VERY BUSY!

NO 2000ad no life!

HiEx

Loved the Gibson drawn Dredd in the last Meg.

Black Siddha started well in the first episode, but I couldn't really get into the second episiode. Hopefully it will pick up in part 3.

Family is OK, but nothing special. I'm enjoying Juliet November far more than family. At least Juliet November is set in Dredd's world, so that makes it more interesting to me.

Not interested in Darkies mob at all. The fact that the artist can't even draw a Tommy gun correctly doesn't help either.  I can accept different artists intepretations of fantasy weapons, but Darkie's Mob is a WWII story with known hardware, so the weapons, equipment, uniforms etc should be drawn correctly.

Enjoying Slaine. The recent installment in Meg 203 was much better than the confusing first part in 202. Still think Mills should be put up against a wall and shot for coming up with something as corny as 'Layzer' guns.

The Meg and 2000AD are both very strong at the moment, although I think 2000AD has the slight edge.

HiEx

Tex Hex

Well Im thinking that Black Siddha is pretty good, and is squaring up to be pretty special. However I wish they had just included some glossary of terms at the start instead of all the "Bhang: cannabis and milk!" stuff (I did pull that from my drink addled memory so its probably wrong).

paulvonscott

I really liked all the wordplay with the El worlds and Laysers and the like.  I really liked that there was this rich celtic world, and beyond that, other worlds, stranger and darker still, inhabited by exotic beings of immeasurable power.  Though as I've been away for a long time, I've seen very little of that aspect to Slaine.  Shame really.

I don't mind Black Siddha (as I don't mind family really, though it's not my thing) but it does suffer slightly from the infomation overload syndrome.  I thought early slaine (where sometimes there would be a glossary) got it right, but the information started to overtake the story in Pat Mills' work.  

Particularly with Third World War which would have been much better with less info in the strip and more references and notes outside of the strip and concentrating more on the story.  I'm pretty sure Pat Mills would say I was talking bollocks here, but as from what I've gathered he's stopped listening to what readers have to say, I can get away with it.  I hope.

Anyway, I enjoyed the first issue of Black Siddha, I really liked the basalt carving of the legend, but started to get a bit supsicious with issue 2.  The characters felt more like they were explaining things to a third party than talking to each other.  It could be that there is a lot of information to set the scene before the story becomes more involving and really gets going.  I'll read it with interest anyway, he's not done yet.

I like Develyn Waugh, probably one of AD's most poorly exploited characters and now we have a (much appreciated) sequal to the first of only a handfull of lengthy strips.  Hopefully he won't be gone so long after this.