Main Menu

Its forbidden

Started by Proudhuff, 10 June, 2003, 10:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Just went to the Forbidden Planet in Edinbro' and how disappointing is it! It used to be crap but now its worse... first the important stuff they were playing Micheal Jackson's greatest hits!! If thats not enough, the comic section is tiny only about a quarter of the shop, the rest seems to be taken up with endless reprints of Gor-type/dragonfest books and crap dolls from even crapper yanquee TV shows and birthday cards.
All I wanted was the most recent 3 LXG comics, not even one! and the staff were more disinterested than a couple of burger flippers in Mcds.

Be warned, if this is the future of yer olde comics shope we're fecked...

oh and their webfu is crap too

humblehuff
DDT did a job on me

Trout

Yeah, that's FP for you. It's a toy shop now.

But you were on a hiding to nothing looking for old LOEG. Rarer than hen's teeth now.

- Trout

Tex Hex

Never fear Proudhuff, for Electronic Popcorn Comics is coming....

Hopefully Ill have a link soon...

Mikey

Yep-as a younger squaxx i dreamed of a FP shop near me,it never appeared,but when i got older i could travel long distances on the bus on me own to the principality to a really good independent comic shop.It's been taken over.By FP.It's full a fuckin tat,comics appear secondary.What *is* all that about?
M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

DavidXBrunt

Maybe there should be a web-site dedicated to promoting good comic shops, such as Millenium Comics on Warrington Market?

Leigh S

And readers World in Brum....

longmanshort

And Calamity Comics in Watford
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Slippery PD

ISTR ther is an index of comic shops on the web.  I just cant remember what teh URL is.  

Ill plug WonderBooks in Boscombe though, choice is limited, its a small shop.  But if you ask they will get it for you and you cant say fairer than that...

Yer Digs

GordonR

I was in the same place today, looking for the new Apocalypse War collection.

They obviously didn't have the shekels left to order it in, after cramming their order forms and shop full of Hulk movie merchandise.

Richmond Clements

Couldn't you get a copy from the Mighty One?
Or where you sent in to move the copies to the front of the shelf?

But you are all right, FP is like Toys'R'Us now.

GordonR

>>Couldn't you get a copy from the Mighty One?

Hey, I'm happy just to score a free Mean Machine mug once in a blue moon.

I imagine it'll be a lot easier to score freebies like the book collections.....uuuuh, I mean 'ask Tharg for vital research material'....when the collections are all done in-house at Rebellion, and not through Titan.

Richmond Clements

Free stuff is great, isn't it?

My cousin used to be in a band, and the free cds where very useful.

W. R. Logan

>I was in the same place today, looking for the new Apocalypse War collection.

I've got it and its the best book Titan have ever produced.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Huey

For crappy comic shops you can't beat the American chain of "Newbury comics". These huge stores justify their name with the smallest display of dog-eared comics shoved onto a rack. The rest of the shop is filled up with fridge magnets, incense burners, CDs, beer glasses and any other crap. None of it even comic-related tat either.
The last time I was in one I perused to the sound of Frank ****ing Sinatra.
Not good.

Misanthrope

Nostalgia and comics in birmingham.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?