Main Menu

Does my Art look big in this?

Started by staticgirl, 10 February, 2010, 02:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTurner

Interesting to see the leap between the sketch and the ink.

With pencils why not try using a retractible pencil with 2B lead (I'm assuming the sketch was with a regualr sketching pencil?)- your line and hatching work is strong and this would complement it.

David Broughton

Quote from: JTurner on 16 November, 2012, 11:00:43 AM
Interesting to see the leap between the sketch and the ink.

With pencils why not try using a retractible pencil with 2B lead (I'm assuming the sketch was with a regualr sketching pencil?)- your line and hatching work is strong and this would complement it.

Hi JT,

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a go sometime soon. I tend to use HB and 2B lead pencils when drawing thumbnails, penciling pages etc.  The pencils on the picture below were also rendered with a regular pencil...its always good to try new things.  Do you have any pencil work I could look at?

http://dbroughton.blogspot.co.uk/

David Broughton

Hi JT, just spotted your picture on the Hot Dang Doodle thread.  Awsome!  Love the droid design.

antodonnell

Needed to exercise the comic art muscles tonight. Here's a 40 min Dredd head

Daveycandlish

A Mignola inspired cover for my forthcoming comic...
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Jon

I love that, Davey.

Putting stuff together for the weekend I remembered this piece that I was working on with Emperor. In light of comments received at Thought Bubble I think I'm going to reappraise a lot about how I work however, I still have quite a soft spot for this;

IAMTHESYSTEM

Ah, brings back such emotive memories..

Nice artwork too Jon. :)
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JTurner

Thanks, Megabus. The mech was actually all pencil work re-levelled using photoshop.

Jon - Loving your use of colour.

staticgirl

Jon - wow. That's ace. a) You have a fight scene in a saloon - always good b) Is that St Sebastian??? Ha ha ha! and c) zombies!  Love the colouring too.

Jon

Quote from: staticgirl on 19 November, 2012, 11:52:43 AM
Jon - wow. That's ace. a) You have a fight scene in a saloon - always good b) Is that St Sebastian??? Ha ha ha! and c) zombies!  Love the colouring too.

Thanks!

Yeah, I think it is. Well, they're all different saints. I'd have to check the script, to be honest. My memory's terrible.

David Broughton

I like you're inking style Davey, very pure and clean.  As JT mentioned I love the way Jon has used colour especially on his last pic and I also lke the extra character detail on his first pic.

Frank

Quote from: Jon on 19 November, 2012, 07:20:27 AM
I think I'm going to reappraise a lot about how I work

The colours and textures in that page, are extraordinary, Jon. Change is good, but don't throw the baby out with the bath water, chief.

M.I.K.

Ooh... nice... and I've read that script.

Best. Title. Ever.

David Broughton

Did this at the end of 2011.  Richard posted it on ECBT2000ad a few months back.
I don't think I've posted it on the forum so here is a lighthearted Dredd vs Death pic.

http://dbroughton.blogspot.co.uk/