Main Menu

Favourite Art Droid CLASSIC - POOL 4 Qualifying

Started by Colin YNWA, 22 October, 2020, 06:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Select your two favourite droids form the list of 10 below (I know, I know. No one said it was going to be easy) pop those names in a post in this thread and in three days (Sunday 25th October) I'll count up the votes and the two droids with the highest counts will qualify for the tourney proper when it starts.

So that's nominating your 2 favourite droids by clearly naming them in a reply to this thread... want to know more. Well there's some linkies below the list.

Simon Harrison - more info

Jon Davis Hunt - more info

Alex Ronald - more info

Mike White - more info

Rian Hughes - more info

Mike Dorey - more info

John Cooper - more info

Vanyo - more info

Calum Alexander Watt - more info

Jeff Anderson - more info

What the hell is all this? Find out more about the Art Droid Tourneys

Whose in the two different tourneys?
Entrants in the Classic Art Droids Tourney

Entrants in the Current Art Droids Tourney (eventually took me like 3 or 4 goes to get the list right!)

Rules for what they are worth

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

First of all I am going to vote for Mike White as he never seems to get a mention. He just got on with telling the story in a very clear and unfussy way. Which as Dave Gibbons has said, is what it is all about.

Secondly I'll go for Alex Ronald based on his covers.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

abelardsnazz

Simon Harrison, for Revere and, yes, Strontium Dog - huge shoes to step into but I thought his take on McNulty was great.

Jon Davis-Hunt, for great work on Tempest and Age of the Wolf.

rogue69

Greg M.

Revere is one of the greatest comics ever published, so Simon Harrison is an easy first call. Again, second place is tougher - Jeff Anderson draws some iconic Dredd moments, whilst John Cooper and Vanyo are great artists, but both more associated with other comics.

Nonetheless, I'll go John Cooper, because his 'Oompa-Loompa cosplaying as Zoidberg' design for the Gila Munja is oddly endearing. Plus - he once drew Dredd with a jet-pack on. Rock 'n' roll!

credo

Simon Harrison Revere was awesome, everything about his Stront (other than Alpha) was great, his Future Shocks were brilliant, his test image for Slaine (if you can find it) is amazing and even Bradley was inspired.

Rian Hughes for his hipster Tharg.

Tomwe

Simon Harrison to start.

Second choice a little more troublesome, but am going with Jeff Anderson for his Democracy era stuff.

AlexF

Simon 'would you let this man vomit on you?' Harrison
Mike 'Quack, Quack Volgs!' Dorey

JayzusB.Christ

Delighted to see Simon Harrison is so popular.  Definitely my first choice here too.  Bradley for when I was a sprog myself, the Dog (I loved his version, anyway) for when I was a teenager, and Revere for when I was a grown man.

Very tough call between Rian Hughes and Alex Ronald.  While I wasn't fussed on Alex's early prog stuff, his work these days is freaking amazing and he's up there with the best cover artists ever.  Rian, though, has a truly unique style - he hit the ground running from the very start with his effortlessly cool retro sci - fi style, bravely trying something completely different when everyone else was trying to be Bisley.  And, despite the wildly original art style, Dan Dare looked exactly like Dan Dare, and Sam Slade looked exactly like Sam Slade.

So, with some hesistation, Rian Hughes it is.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Link Prime

broodblik

Simon Harrison are paying the price for killing Johnny Alpha.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

paddykafka

ming

I'll take a Simon Harrison and an Alex Ronald please, Bob.