Main Menu

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Started by TordelBack, 23 January, 2017, 04:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SIP

Professor Bear

I assume there are no new characters in the trailer because of DisneyWars' already-noted reliance on the familiar.
It's pretty clear from the goings-on behind the scenes that, like Marvel movies and comics, these movies are the product of committee meetings more than they are individual creators, but only a fool would argue that At-Ats and Tie Fighters aren't enough for most fortysomethings to already have their tickets booked.
Still, it looks nice.  Like a really fancy fan movie.

TordelBack

Indeed. There were new characters in the previous trailer, mind, and heavily featured in the Vanity Fair shoot

Slightly offsetting my dislike of the new walkers is the clever inclusion of old-style walkers in the shot. If you absolutely have to have yet more walkers, may as well indicate the scale.

I hope the 'Mary Sue! Mary Sue!' crowd are paying close attention to Snoke and Luke's dialogue snippets here.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Professor Bear on 10 October, 2017, 12:44:39 PM
I assume there are no new characters in the trailer because of DisneyWars' already-noted reliance on the familiar.

What about that hairy rat bird thing in the MF cockpit?  Is that not a new character of some kind?

What about this dude?  Is he new?

PS - Carrie Fisher.   :'(

TordelBack

The porg (for that is its registered trademark) from the Fakcon's cockpit was in the behind-the-scenes video, and Benico's character hasn't appeared in anything other than that Vanity Fair shot.

I just find it interesting that the trailer emphasises Rey and Finn, over even Luke and Leia, rather than showcasing new or unseen elements. It suggests a degree of confidence that the audience is already  engaged in their story - which I definitely am.

Of course going by Rogue One it's quite possible that none of this footage is in the  movie...

Link Prime

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 10 October, 2017, 07:39:41 AM
any film that has call-backs to the prequel trilogy (overhead shot of Ren with the platoon of troopers) makes me sad.

But it looks much nicer this time. From the textures in that trailer it's like the best merge of practical and CGI; like they looked at the concept art and said, exactly that but make it move...and don't lose any of the detail.

radiator

Speculation - Snoke is talking about/to Rey in the voiceover dialogue, and not Ren as the trailer seems to imply.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 October, 2017, 09:06:27 AM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 10 October, 2017, 07:39:41 AM
Meh. I'll still go and see it, but any film that has call-backs to the prequel trilogy (overhead shot of Ren with the platoon of troopers) makes me sad.

This seems rather self-defeating: you don't have to like the prequels, but consciously avoiding any reference to them seems painfully contrived. It's fairly clear that Ren riffs off whiny-Anakin in the first place, rather than OT-Vader as it initially appeared, so making some visual references is just developing that theme, hopefully for the purposes of misdirection.  One might equally note the similarity of Ren's fighter to Maul's underused TPM ship, from the rear at least.

I tend to share Tips' hopes/fears regarding plot spoilers, but mapping the already-established elements onto the slavish mirroring of Empire Strikes Back already seemed to spell the whole thing out.  The most the trailer adds to Spoilerfest '17 is to give a bit of shape to the timeline, measurable with reference to Ren's healing process (love the cyber-bandage thing).

A pox on your internet rationality. Shame on you and yours. And on a Star Wars thread no less.
Lock up your spoons!

Goaty

It lovely to see AT-ATs back as you can see them next to AT-M6s

TordelBack

After watching this thing 20+ times today, I'm pretty sure it's my favourite SW trailer since the TPM teaser.

Just love the wonderfully simple music, the strong colour themes, the toying with expectations, what Luke has become, the apparent understanding that the strength of TFA was its characters, the sense that it's moving the story forward at long last.

I have a good feeling about this.

Which is never a good thing.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Colin YNWA

So much to love there. I adore (as did my daughter) the magic fox thingies... mind it would be even better if it was the Rabbit aliens from the old Marvel comics!

Anyway yeah suspect there's been some smart editing there to give the impression stuff is happening that might not. Is Mardy Teen Neil Gaiman really about to shoot his mum? Is Ren really about to turn (it would be an interesting turn of events)? Who knows, but it looks good...

... hmmm I've been fooled into thinking that before... when will I stop handing over my cash by default for this stuff... cos you know I will, I'm such a muppet, and not even one flying with Chewie.

Magnetica

Just watched the trailer and the extended one.

The flying and battle sequences look really cool - but really that is the sort of thing I expect them to up their game on every time.

I am sure the trailer is deliberately edited to mislead about who is saying what to whom and who is or isn't going over to the dark side. I mean you would wouldn't you? All helps to build excitement.