Main Menu

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Started by TordelBack, 23 January, 2017, 04:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Incidentally, in my rewatching of those scenes this morning I noticed that Ben's apprentice-era sabre appears to be the slefsame hilt as Kylo's broadsword yoke.  Which means he basically added spoilers, a noisy exhaust and painted it black.  Who says evil is cool?

SIP

Quote from: wedgeski on 24 July, 2018, 01:43:50 PM
Quote from: SIP on 24 July, 2018, 11:53:08 AM
Quote from: wedgeski on 24 July, 2018, 11:43:42 AM
I quite enjoyed Luke's character in TLJ, but have given up trying to convince anyone else of that. As soon as I report my feelings on the film to someone new, they immediately go on a tirade about Luke as if there's nothing else I could possibly dislike!

Personally, I have no tirade to hurl at anyone, I'm merely expressing an opinion and partaking in a discussion on the Last Jedi in a thread about "The Last Jedi". I thought that was the whole point?
I'm not sure how you read that as being directed at you, but I assure you it wasn't. :)

Sorry sir, I may have been overly touchy there based on the fact that I was offering the opposite opinion in my reading of Luke's character.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 July, 2018, 01:46:18 PM
Who says evil is cool?

He has an impressive calligraphy set for when the edgelord needs to break-out some stanzas proclaiming "Luke is a rotter and his robes smell of old piss".

TordelBack

I did find the calligraphy set amusing at the time. I'm not sure those Sacred Jedi Texts that Luke tracked down led him to design an entirely practical guarding-peace-and-justice-in-the-galaxy curriculum. Either that or there's a TESB deleted scene somewhere where Yoda instills in Luke the value of good penmanship in defeating the Empire. 

TordelBack

So in the wake of the James Gunn disaster, Rian Johnson has apparently deleted 20K tweets.  Is this the beginning of the end for the most interesting aspect of social media, interacting with creatives and other professionals and getting insights into their work?  I'm reminded of the flight of many artists and writers from this very forum for different reasons, now are we going to see everyone of any interest clamming up for fear of having their past remarks dragged out by far-right assholes and used to lobby for their dismissal in the present?  Can't be many of us who've been on here for a while could risk a job in the public spotllght, so!

And yet that mound of fly-blown human waste in the White House endures.

SIP

I think I'm generally relieved. It may now stop Lucasfilm from seemingly wanting to constantly pour fuel on to the fire.

Do you think that Disney have stepped in post "Gunn"?

Tweets from a broad range of Lucasfilm management and creatives inferring that if you don't like "new" Star Wars that you can either be labelled as a man baby, a misogynist, a racist, a sexist etc have not exactly been endearing to huge portions of it's "custoners". It's also given more and more ammunition to the you tube ranters.

I know that these tweets were intended to be directed at a very select group of people, but unfortunately they don't always read that way.

Insulting your customers on a very regular basis isn't the best of business decisions. I have to wonder if Disney finally woke up to it as Lucasfilm have been uncharacteristically quiet for a month or so, especially Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson.

SIP

As for Gunn....a little common sense was required there I think.

I work in a College, my wife an infant school. If either of us decided to tweet in our free time the sort of things Gunn was tweeting*, we would rapidly be unemployed.

He was working for Disney, the home of family and child entertainment......

* I haven't read the tweets.....so I'm commenting based on the reports that I heard regarding their content.  I have read the majority of the Lucasfilm tweets, including Johnson's and they are incredibly badly judged.

TordelBack

Quote from: SIP on 25 July, 2018, 08:39:45 AM

No, he wasn't - if that was the case, he'd deserve no sympathy at all, and Disney would be well rid of him.

His (stupid, unfunny) tweets date from the period he was working for Troma etc, back before 2012, when he was actively trying for as crude a sense of humour as possible.  He has sincerely apologised in the past for his online persona back then, and expressed regret on numerous occasions.  Disney was fully aware of all this taking him on, and there's been no repeat behaviour since he started making kids' movies.

In short, he made stupid jokes in the past, but he's trying - and by all accounts succeeding - at being better.

His mistake was criticising Trump and his online shitheel pals.

Take a look at the archives of this very forum. See us all acting like assholes on several notable threads.  See most of us acting a lot better now.  People change.

SIP

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 July, 2018, 08:51:15 AM
Quote from: SIP on 25 July, 2018, 08:39:45 AM

No, he wasn't - if that was the case, he'd deserve no sympathy at all, and Disney would be well rid of him.

His (stupid, unfunny) tweets date from the period he was working for Troma etc, back before 2012, when he was actively trying to for as crude a sense of humour as possible.  He has sincerely apologised for his online persona back then, and expressed regret on numerous occasions.  Disney was fully aware of all this taking him on, and there's been no repeat behaviour since he started making kids movies.

In short, he made stupid jokes in the past, he's trying - and by all accounts succeeding - at being better.

His mistake was criticising Trump and his online shitheel pals.

To clarify "he was working for Disney", I'm referring to his recent sacking, not his employment at the time of the tweet.

SIP

It's a business decision.....Disney don't want to be associated with the subject matter, they cut him loose. Harsh, but hardly surprising.

Steve Green

I'd also add that these kids movies have one character being called a 'green whore' and a reference to the spunk spattered status of Starlord's ship.

SIP

Also, anyone can dredge up anything that I've written online since I discovered the Internet, you may find me rambling about a film or comic, but you won't find me making jokes or passing comment on such sensitive and inappropriate issues.

My children are taught this at school.....don't put things on the Internet that may well destroy your career prospects..

SIP

And another day of "heated debate" begins...... :lol:

TordelBack

Quote from: SIP on 25 July, 2018, 08:58:15 AM
Also, anyone can dredge up anything that I've written online since I discovered the Internet, you may find me rambling about a film or comic, but you won't find me making jokes or passing comment on such sensitive and inappropriate issues.

Lucky you!  A blameless past!

Many of us here contributed to a thread called "Who wants to look at women's underware[sic]?", pretty sure most of us regret it, and wouldn't do it now.  Should we now be placed on a watch list somewhere?  (Obviously Tips should, but that's a different matter).

I do take Steve's point about certain elements of GotG though: and Whedon's Avengers for that matter.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SIP on 25 July, 2018, 08:54:42 AM
It's a business decision.....Disney don't want to be associated with the subject matter, they cut him loose. Harsh, but hardly surprising.

Will this soon apply to all Fox -soon to be Disney- employees if they've written something in the past Disney believes doesn't fit in with their family image?

Ryan Reynolds does not fit the Disney image.