Main Menu

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Started by TordelBack, 23 January, 2017, 04:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SIP

It's a business decision. Disney wants to be seen as wholesome. Gunn in his explanations states that he "understands the business decision".

It's tricky.....if it was Jimmy Carr making the same jokes it would only help sell more tickets, but if you are a film director tor who is always going to have to work in the studio system, you have accept that what you publicise may not be in line with others marketed image.

I'm not condemning the man, merely commenting that I understand why Disney took the actions it did, and he clearly understands it himself.

SIP

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 25 July, 2018, 09:13:30 AM
Quote from: SIP on 25 July, 2018, 08:54:42 AM
It's a business decision.....Disney don't want to be associated with the subject matter, they cut him loose. Harsh, but hardly surprising.

Will this soon apply to all Fox -soon to be Disney- employees if they've written something in the past Disney believes doesn't fit in with their family image?

I would assume so. You'd have to ask Disney. I didn't sack James Gunn folks.

Link Prime

Quote from: Steve Green on 25 July, 2018, 08:55:12 AM
spunk spattered status of Starlord's ship.

Someone order a Milano pizza with extra ricotta?

Just read up on that James Gunn thing - all seems a bit mad.

A threesome of thoughts;
1) Glad I never joined Twitter- seems to bring nuthin but confrontation and misery.
2) I would never be able to stand over everything I've said in the past - or probably posted on this forum.
3) Really enjoyed the first two Guardians movies - shame JG won't be back for the third.

SIP

As for Ryan Reynolds, he is appearing in "R" rated films.....not associated with the "family" films Disney puts out. He's  (arguably) not being marketed to kids, though I can appreciate the blurred lines considering he's in a superhero movie.

Professor Bear

Quote from: SIP on 25 July, 2018, 08:54:42 AM
It's a business decision.....Disney don't want to be associated with the subject matter, they cut him loose. Harsh, but hardly surprising.

Disney have hired convicted pedophiles to make movies for them.

I recall confirmed SJW Chris Sims threw himself under the bus when Gamergaters tried to dredge up a petty beef he had with fellow comics blogger Valeria D'Orazio from years earlier - this isn't a new tactic for the alt-right, the real question is why Marvel gave a fuck in this particular instance.
I've seen it suggested that the Disney/Fox merger needs Department of Justice approval because of the size of the companies involved and Gunn was the scalp they threw to Trumpers on account of his prominent anti-Trump social media posts.  Normally you could dismiss this as conspiracy nut stuff, but given how corrupt and petty the Trump administration is... I dunno.
Interesting times.

SIP

Who was the convicted pedophile that Disney hired? Curious on that one.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 July, 2018, 09:06:04 AM

(Obviously Tips should, but that's a different matter).

Hey, I'm right here!

It is a strange situation. People do change. I would certainly apologise for my past behaviour ("Hello cows. I am sorry I used to eat beef and drink milk". "Hello women, I realise obectifying you is not harmless fun." "Hello writers, artists and other creators, I now understand what balanced online  criticism should be) but it's stuff I don't do now and wouldn't countenance. I don't see why that sort of statement and viewing of recent history wouldn't be ok.

So why Gunn *had* to go seems really odd.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

Quote from: SIP on 25 July, 2018, 12:18:19 PM

Whoever that bloke is what made the Jeepers Creepers movies.  After he got out of jail for noncing, Disney waited a whole two years to hire him to make Powder.

SIP

Quote from: Professor Bear on 25 July, 2018, 01:09:20 PM
Quote from: SIP on 25 July, 2018, 12:18:19 PM

Whoever that bloke is what made the Jeepers Creepers movies.  After he got out of jail for noncing, Disney waited a whole two years to hire him to make Powder.

Cheers, wasn't aware of that one.

I'm most interested to see if all this goes any further. There has been enough outcry and support in the wake of the sacking, notably from a lot of "Disney/Marvel" employees (including most of the guardians cast).

Doubtful they would back track......but interesting to see.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Quote from: Professor Bear on 25 July, 2018, 01:09:20 PM

Woah, I just looked that up, Victor Salva. He's made 11 films, nine of which were after he was exposed as a paedophile and jailed for molesting kids. What the hell?

TordelBack

Look, at least he didn't joke about it. 

Or criticise Trump & Coprolites.

Professor Bear

Harvey Weinstein's behavior was an open secret for decades, as was Jimmy Savile's.  One of the most disturbing bits of rewatching This Morning With Richard Not Judy was seeing Rich and Stew joke about people dying on the London Marathon and Rich suddenly impersonates Savile, saying "now then now then - bagsy me a ride in the ambulance taking them to the mortuary."  Not suggesting a connection here, but a few weeks later, and despite adequate ratings, the show was cancelled.

Steve Green

I can't remember exactly when the (then) urban myth around Savile first did the rounds - guess it really came to the fore prior to his death with the (fake) transcript from Have I Got News For You.

Could have been Popbitch, so relatively late in the day.

Re-reading the Comic Relief comic from 1991 I think, there's a Roger Mellie strip which drops a massive hint without being libellous, but passed me by at the time.

Frank

Quote from: Steve Green on 25 July, 2018, 02:36:28 PM
I can't remember exactly when the (then) urban myth around Savile first did the rounds - guess it really came to the fore prior to his death with the (fake) transcript from Have I Got News For You.

Paul Merton speaks about that hoax, here. Lee and Herring have spoken about their Savile gag, too.

Lee frames it in the same way as the Marc Almond and Richard Gere rumours; fun gossip nobody thought was true. How many of us made jokes about Cliff Richard's sexuality as we grew up. None of us had a fucking clue how he preferred his hole; we were just copping attitudes we picked up from others because it made us feel clued-up.

Everyone cites John Lydon, but all he said was he'd 'heard rumours'. We project knowledge onto some and blame onto others because of the misplaced guilt and stupidity we feel because our primary reaction to Savile on telly was wishing we could have a go in a race car, rather than calling the cops because he had weird hair and seemed a bit off.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SIP on 25 July, 2018, 09:14:02 AM
It's a business decision. Disney wants to be seen as wholesome. Gunn in his explanations states that he "understands the business decision".

The timing and the trend of Gunn's current political tweeting suggests it's really a political decision to suit the current climate (post Roseanne) as Gunn has all ready apologised in the past for poor taste jokes he made before he joined - so Disney were all ready aware of his schtick - and the boss has political ambitions.

Quote from: SIP on 25 July, 2018, 09:33:48 AM
As for Ryan Reynolds, he is appearing in "R" rated films.....not associated with the "family" films Disney puts out. He's  (arguably) not being marketed to kids, though I can appreciate the blurred lines considering he's in a superhero movie.

Disney's "wholesome image" is avoided every time its wholly owned ABC channel produces another R-rated/TV-MA season of Punisher or Daredevil for Netflix. It will be avoided again for their Fox output. Can't have rules that only work for some parts of their organisaon, some of the time.