Main Menu

Prog 2354: Owlbore Overload

Started by IndigoPrime, 15 October, 2023, 05:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Elson on cover duties this week, and then an amusing Droid Life (or, if you're a lettering droid, nightmare), before we get to Dredd, which keeps the mystery going before adding another twist (and, likely, piece of misdirection). Helium continues to be excellent, barrelling along as it does.

Devil's Railroad still to me has a quite old-fashioned vibe, but I'm liking it enough. Deadworld still isn't clicking, alas. (Reference city...) And Feral continues to be fun. Helium the clear high point for me this week, mind.

Helium > Dredd > Feral > Devil's > Deadworld

Le Fink

Dredd opens strongly with a Dutch angle and some nice Sov judge and Domino figure work. I'm digging PJ's art in this story! I'm not familiar with the Domino character. Worth checking up on? The last panel a nice close by the Williams droid. Good twist, did not see it coming.

Helium goes all Animal Farm. Bit of backstory. A new faction is introduced. It's fine.

The Devil's Railroad. Palamon asks himself the question I'm also asking... why are you doing this crazy murder stuff? Not really believing these characters yet. Art still fantastic. The 'stop intruding on my grief scene' is very funny and brilliantly drawn.

Fall of Deadworld errmmm... gawd I need to do a re-read of the previous chapters.

Feral & Foe last week's cliffhanger is dealt with fairly... prosaically... Who cares though as it's great fun and looks amazing.

Barrington Boots

Thought this was another good Prog although not quite as good as the last couple.

Dredd still going really well. I'm hoping that is a bit of misdirection at the end, as that's a character I'd prefer we were done with.

Helium Excellent stuff although I did have to dip back into the first series to check if we knew about this already. A quieter, more worldbuild-y episode than last week.

The Devil's Railroad. Three episodes in and this isn't clicking for me at all. The characters and the dialogue all just seems a bit stylised to me so it lacks engagement. Obviously not doubting Pete Milligan's pedigree, I just think this one isn't for me.

Fall of Deadworld Not the strongest episode here, not least when Dredd Eastwood demands to parley and then immediately kills off Ruin when she attempts to do so? Dark and grim as ever but feels like the story is getting a bit too loose.

Feral & Foe Last weeks cliffhanger resolved immediately by Wrath and Skeletor but its time for Bode and Barbary to run into a D&D classic foe. This is very lightweight stuff, but its funny and a pleasure to read. Looks terrific, but what's up with Wrath's face? She seems to be looking a lot smoother-featured this series around the nose and eyes, giving her a less alien and more conventional look.

Anyway - despite nitpicks, still a superb read.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

Given that the Sov thing was misdirection, I'm assuming – and hopeful – the reveal this week is too. And I think that's my problem with Deadworld too. It started off as something tight and horrific. Now it still has some of that. But it's also an Elseworlds Dredd. And some other things too. Oh well. Can't win 'em all and hopefully it'll come back on track at some point.

Le Fink

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 16 October, 2023, 09:46:37 AMwhat's up with Wrath's face? She seems to be looking a lot smoother-featured this series around the nose and eyes, giving her a less alien and more conventional look.
Hmmm. Hasn't struck me in the strip until now, but it is striking she seems much younger on the cover than I thought she was.

Richard

QuoteI'm not familiar with the Domino character. Worth checking up on?
She's in the latest Complete Case File.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Richard on 17 October, 2023, 01:10:10 AM

Domino Blank-One listing in my A-Z. (Now that I think about it, did she ever show up in the elements that culminated in Trifecta?)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Le Fink

Quote from: Richard on 17 October, 2023, 01:10:10 AM
Which is sat on the shelf, as yet unopened... doh! Thanks

Colin YNWA

To my eternal shame I'm not remembered Domino at all, To be fair didn't matter and Dredd remains excellent. As for the ending, well that's certainly intriguing!

Helium starts to fill in our new world and builds nicely

Devil's Railroad introduces baddies and gives them motivation which quickly leads to consequence... though I suspect the cliffhanger is a feint, just as last time, well it has to be clearly but over all good stuff.

Fall of Deadworld solid enough as forces seem to reluctantly join.

Feral and Foe quickly casts off the tension form the last episode but no denying its good fun.

So yeah its interesting that with the same line-up last weeks Prog was such a blast. This week its simply not as good. Don't get me wrong its still a good Prog but none of the episodes, aside from Dredd are absolute bangers and so its not as strong.

norton canes

Thought the prog rocked along very nicely this week. Particularly liked the subtle little betrayal of emotion on Dredd's face (chin?) at the end of 'Poison', the lovely extended discourse on class in Helium and "Stop intruding on my grief!" in The Devil's Railroad, though the 'FAKK!' rather obscured the exit wound (sorry) - was it an homage to this?

Agreed this was a slightly sluggish instalment of Deadworld. Good to see Feral & Foe rolling through the D&D clichés, exactly what it's supposed to do. 

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: norton canes on 18 October, 2023, 12:19:29 PMthough the 'FAKK!' rather obscured the exit wound (sorry) - was it an homage to this?

I like to imagine it was a reference to this, although it almost certainly wasn't. :)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Proudhuff

A Prog of two halves for me...

Dredd: Great stuff and looking good, most enjoyable.

Helium Excellent stuff and soooo well drawn/coloured

The Devil's Railroad. Enjoyable but not the thrill of a new thrill is you get me?

Fall of Deadworld I now top and tale these: first and last frame, you generally get the drift without wading through the murky bits in-between

Feral & Foe If I was to put together a list of things I didn't like in 2K, this would probably tick most boxes...
DDT did a job on me

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Proudhuff on 18 October, 2023, 03:17:28 PMFeral & Foe If I was to put together a list of things I didn't like in 2K, this would probably tick most boxes...

Funny and exciting with really great art...?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.