Main Menu

Dredd - Box Office

Started by MattJW, 02 September, 2012, 09:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Hairwolf on 12 September, 2012, 10:44:20 AM
Unfortunately not so much on the promo front here (Ireland) in terms of billboards etc...

Yet to see a billboard or poster, and it's not even on in my local multiplex...

Mind you, I've yet to wriggle free of commitments long enough to actually see Dredd yet, so I'm hardly helping the cause.

SuperSurfer

Quite surprised that I've only seen four billboards/banners for DREDD in London.

One billboard in Wood Green (now replaced); one just opposite Lambeth North tube station (good spot); poster and banner outside Empire cinema at Leicester Square of course.

I don't even know if there have been tube adverts? (Must say, back in 95 I was impressed with the tube posters from 'that' film.) Now I think of it, are there that many film adverts on the tube?

atp

Come on guys 'n' gals, this is the internet age. Look how many people are posting on this site. If everyone with a non country specific email address i.e. .com and not .co.uk etc, sent an email to all the entertainment pages/ editors of the main national newspapers in the countries that Dredd 3D has not yet opened in, asking when the opening date is going to be, or when they are going to add a review, then bigger the number of enquires the greater the interest these papers will pay to Dredd 3D to see what's going on. Then hopefully it will get more international exposure, which in turn may boost bums on seats around the world. While you're at it get your work mates etc to do the same. Before you know it we may well have a whole series of films. If Dredd does well this time round we could see other 2000AD characters on the big screen in the future. If you shout loud enough in the right places then ears will prick up and people will listen.
The freedom of choice should be compulsory

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

My plan to help the box office is:

Go see it with my little brother - acheived.
Take Mrs Tips up the Odeon on Friday.
Take Princess Tips to see it at some point next week.
Take Prince Tips to see it at some point next week.

That way I'll have dragged four other people to see it and seen it four times myself. 
That should help the Box Office.
I don't have any mates otherwise I'd ask them too.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 12 September, 2012, 12:31:08 PM
Take Mrs Tips up the Odeon on Friday.  :o

She likes that, well she does when I do it  ;)
DDT did a job on me

James Stacey

Quote from: norse_sage on 12 September, 2012, 12:52:56 PM
Quote from: CraveNoir on 12 September, 2012, 12:22:42 PM
Spain box-office
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/spain/?yr=2012&wk=36&p=.htm

That's...not good.
Isn't it ? Almost 1/2 a million dollars in the opening weekend of what I assume is not a key demographic sounds pretty good to me.

Adrian Bamforth

Is 3D really a box office asset for an 18 certificate? It's hard to find many, and most adults I know simply don't like it. Seems like it's limiting its audience to have so few 2D screenings in the UK. Personally, I don't feel I've actually watched it since I was so distracted by it (not in a good way), and can only wait for the DVD to give it my full attention.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Adrian Bamforth on 12 September, 2012, 01:15:05 PM
Is 3D really a box office asset for an 18 certificate?

Maybe not but 3D was a main selling point in getting the film funded.

radiator

If Dredd doesn't make more money than Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter I'm officially giving up on the human race.

QuoteIs 3D really a box office asset for an 18 certificate? It's hard to find many, and most adults I know simply don't like it. Seems like it's limiting its audience to have so few 2D screenings in the UK. Personally, I don't feel I've actually watched it since I was so distracted by it (not in a good way), and can only wait for the DVD to give it my full attention.

I saw it again last night in a Vue Xtreme (basically a state of the art, massive 3d screen) and was blown away. It looked ten times better than the two other times I've seen the film; really crisp, solid and sharply detailed, and the 3d (despite the odd bit of ghosting and noise) blew me away. Was a bit pricey, but I'd recommend seeing it this way if you can. Probably best use of 3d I've seen in a film. I think like most things 3d has a bad rep because it's so often set up/exhibited very poorly by incompetent staff. It wouldn't surprise me to find that the majority of 3d cinema screenings are wrongly calibrated, because the effect tends to usually be so flat and underwhelming.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 12 September, 2012, 01:24:11 PM
If Dredd doesn't make more money than Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter I'm officially giving up on the human race.

If the Sweeney makes more this week it's officially the end of the world.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 September, 2012, 11:04:37 AM
Quote from: Hairwolf on 12 September, 2012, 10:44:20 AM
Unfortunately not so much on the promo front here (Ireland) in terms of billboards etc...

Yet to see a billboard or poster, and it's not even on in my local multiplex...

Mind you, I've yet to wriggle free of commitments long enough to actually see Dredd yet, so I'm hardly helping the cause.

Part of the problem is that some chains and theatres don't deal with Entertainment Films (IMC) or have had disputes with them over costs (Savoy) which may cause big problems for the Hobbit since it's the same distributor but I've not seen one poster for Dredd in Dublin.

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: radiator on 12 September, 2012, 01:24:11 PM

QuoteIs 3D really a box office asset for an 18 certificate? It's hard to find many, and most adults I know simply don't like it. Seems like it's limiting its audience to have so few 2D screenings in the UK. Personally, I don't feel I've actually watched it since I was so distracted by it (not in a good way), and can only wait for the DVD to give it my full attention.

I saw it again .. the 3d (despite the odd bit of ghosting and noise) blew me away. Was a bit pricey, but I'd recommend seeing it this way if you can. Probably best use of 3d I've seen in a film.

This ^