Main Menu

Dredd - Box Office

Started by MattJW, 02 September, 2012, 09:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teivion

Im not that bothered yet, for example, check out Last King Of Scotland...
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=lastkingofscotland.htm

Opening Weekend:    $142,899
(#37 rank, 4 theaters, $35,724 average)
% of Total Gross:    0.8%
> View All 34 Weekends
Widest Release:     540 theaters

went on to do:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:     $17,606,684       36.4%
+ Foreign:     $30,756,832       63.6%
Worldwide:     $48,363,516    

;)

atp

Quote from: hazy efc on 24 September, 2012, 02:14:21 PM
how long have you gotta wait for dredd to come out in oz and is it being promoted well there

25th Oct  ( http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,36237.msg705990.html#msg705990 )Unfortunately at the moment there hasn't been any sight nor sound of Dredd publicly i.e. posters/radio etc
The freedom of choice should be compulsory

Rex The Runt

[/quote]You wont be disappointed mate its fantastic how long have you gotta wait for dredd to come out in oz and is it being promoted well there
[/quote]

There are posters in the cinemas you couldnt miss if you're seeing something else, but no TV spots or billboards that Ive noticed yet.  Late October I think it comes out here.  Probably see ads the week its released.

I think this is one of those films that'll gain cult status (and thereby warrant sequels) over time, like Alien.

@roguetrooper815

GordonR

Quote from: Teivion on 24 September, 2012, 02:43:55 PM
Im not that bothered yet, for example, check out Last King Of Scotland...
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=lastkingofscotland.htm

Opening Weekend:    $142,899
(#37 rank, 4 theaters, $35,724 average)
% of Total Gross:    0.8%
> View All 34 Weekends
Widest Release:     540 theaters

went on to do:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:     $17,606,684       36.4%
+ Foreign:     $30,756,832       63.6%
Worldwide:     $48,363,516    

;)

So all we have to do is wait for Karl Urban to win the Oscar for Best Actor for his Dredd performance, and the film's quids in?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: GordonR on 24 September, 2012, 03:12:38 PM
So all we have to do is wait for Karl Urban to win the Oscar for Best Actor for his Dredd performance, and the film's quids in?

Shhh. These straws won't clutch themselves, you know...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

GordonR

Quote from: Rex The Runt on 24 September, 2012, 03:08:19 PM
I think this is one of those films that'll gain cult status (and thereby warrant sequels) over time, like Alien.

Errrr.....Alien was a major hit when it was released. The reason it took 7 years for a sequel to appear was more because of the way the film industry operated back then, when not every genre film was automatically seen as studio franchise fodder.

atp

Quote from: GordonR on 24 September, 2012, 03:12:38 PM

On the off chance that he did, should he keep the helmet on to accept the award.
The freedom of choice should be compulsory

painbros22

Wow Prometheus was THE most disappointing film of the year. Supposed to be some existential musing on creation. All i got out of it was Evil Dead. Does that sound weird ? Well bunch of idiot teenagers ( scientists ) go into the dark woods ( alien world ) to a deserted cabin ( temple ) where they open a sealed area ( read the book of the dead ), Then they spit up, get stoned, have sex and all die one by one leaving a lone survivor ( Ash ). It just seems to use the lamest horror tropes available and wraps it all up in a pile of hogwash about "faith". Add to that it's far more scary to stand in line at the Post Office than watch Prometheus. But hey it looks great, people do like shiny things. Baffling how it nearly got half a billion.

The Bissler

Gutted to hear the news about the US box office takings.  It's a real kick in the teeth for all of us champing at the bit to get a sequel, but I feel sorriest for the people who worked so hard on making what has turned out to be an excellent film.  Their efforts deserved to be seen by a much wider audience.  I just hope that word of mouth can maybe turn things around...

JOE SOAP

jamesedwards

Quote from: painbros22 on 24 September, 2012, 03:32:15 PM
Wow Prometheus was THE most disappointing film of the year. Supposed to be some existential musing on creation. All i got out of it was Evil Dead. Does that sound weird ? Well bunch of idiot teenagers ( scientists ) go into the dark woods ( alien world ) to a deserted cabin ( temple ) where they open a sealed area ( read the book of the dead ), Then they spit up, get stoned, have sex and all die one by one leaving a lone survivor ( Ash ). It just seems to use the lamest horror tropes available and wraps it all up in a pile of hogwash about "faith". Add to that it's far more scary to stand in line at the Post Office than watch Prometheus. But hey it looks great, people do like shiny things. Baffling how it nearly got half a billion.

It didn't wrap everything up in a bow, it had some genuine "oh fuck" moments of body horror (direct quote from my date during the pregnancy scare) and it depicted stupidity in a way that's very believable. Better film than Dredd, and I liked Dredd.

painbros22

Quote from: jamesedwards on 24 September, 2012, 03:42:27 PM
Quote from: painbros22 on 24 September, 2012, 03:32:15 PM

Not 100% sure if you are being serious there. The body horror was fine, but jumping up and vaulting over things 10 minutes later made it very silly indeed dampening the effect greatly.

It didn't wrap everything up in a bow, it had some genuine "oh fuck" moments of body horror (direct quote from my date during the pregnancy scare) and it depicted stupidity in a way that's very believable. Better film than Dredd, and I liked Dredd.

jamesedwards

She was on a fuckload of space drugs. Have you ever had morphine? You wouldn't feel it.

painbros22

Thats not true, she appeared to be in great pain doubling over all the time if i remember. Anyway those puny staples would have a problem holding with that kind of activity.