Main Menu

Dredd - Box Office

Started by MattJW, 02 September, 2012, 09:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudley

You haterz have no poetry in yore soles.

Quote from: hazy efc on 25 September, 2012, 10:54:48 AM
I dont no what it is
with folk in the states

from what im
hearing
the movie was promoted pretty well
over there
they were aware of it
they just dont want to give it a chance
and thats sad

just like with the sex pistols or oasis
whether you guys like those bands or you dont
i for one do
they were pretty fuckin popular almost everywere but the states
and
it just makes you sit back and think
why this is
im not saying every ones gotta like dredd
or those bands
but it seems pretty apparent
when the brits come a shouting
something them lot in the states love to do
they dont like it
and therefore
turn their nose up at it

they no about dredd in the states
and they hear all the great things being said
about this british/south african produced FILM
they wont give it the time of day
in my opinion
because
A.it isnt american made
and
B.its been making a little noise outside of the states
a noise they started with the great reviews
at comic con
and i think
they didnt like the fact it opened in the uk first
the sex pistols go over there
the yanks dont want to
no
but the ramones do just fine
hmmm
i wonder why
oasis were suppose to do big things over there back in the mid nighties
and they got booed out the fucking country

and i no
it aint over for dredd yet
but it aint looking good
it seems
anything with a bit of attitude
non american made
be it music or film
and they shit on it
knowing its good
and then they do what they always do
admit it later
they like it when its to late

now i aint saying us brits are perfect
i for one am not

but what you see is what you get with us
we like something
or we dont
regardless of were a band or a film is coming from

ps if you live in the states get your ass down the cinema and see dredd haha

Dudley

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 25 September, 2012, 11:35:44 AM
Sounds like Dredd's to some extent hit the chain restaurant problem.

Possibly - but Dredd's been trying to crack the States for nigh on forty years and yet again has proved not to be to American tastes (comic book fans aside).  If you think about it, though, that's hardly surprising, as Dredd's a punky British satire on America's ugliest traits - the ones that mainstream America really doesn't recognise in itself.  Even in the wonderfully stripped-down Garland version, it's basically a giant "Fuck You USA, you self-parodic violent hellhole."

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: Dudley on 25 September, 2012, 12:38:59 PM
Dredd's a punky British satire on America's ugliest traits - the ones that mainstream America really doesn't recognise in itself.  Even in the wonderfully stripped-down Garland version, it's basically a giant "Fuck You USA, you self-parodic violent hellhole."

Maybe that's the problem. DREDD depicts America as a failed State where an oppressive government imposes it's will on all it's citizens. Not much pioneer spirit in Mega City 1 no band of self reliant, armed and willing citizenry riding to the rescue. Also I think as others have pointed out it's a case of bad timing to boot.

DREDD comes to US Cinemas during the worst economic downturn since WW2. Judge Dredd is pretty unfamiliar to most Americans so do you really want to go to the Cinema to spend your hard earned dollars on something your not really sure about? The empty Theatres tell the tale there.

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Michaelvk

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 25 September, 2012, 01:07:05 PMDREDD depicts America as a failed State where an oppressive government imposes it's will on all it's citizens.

...ummmmm
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

judge devs

Quote from: Radbacker on 25 September, 2012, 10:38:30 AM
Still no confirmation from my cinema that they're gonna get it but hell as long as it got a release i could see me traveling 700kms to Perth to see it. 

CU radbacker

I am in awe of this commitment. I salute you Sir!

Mind you having said that, I've travelled that far to go and see bands.

painbros22

:sadface: I live in Denmark, Dredd opens on thursday, but Denmark has a nasty habit of pulling movies that flopped in the USA, and right on cue 80% of showings got pulled, now i have to see it in a crappy vomit laden theater where they show movies like Antichrist. Sucks to live here, high taxes, rampant xenophobia, more pigs than people and now Dredd on a shitty screen. Oh well, bring on the Dommerman !

hazy efc

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 25 September, 2012, 12:09:54 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 25 September, 2012, 11:50:02 AM
No offence Hazy, but when I see a single sentence that length my eyes break.

I'm afraid my ignore list now regularly includes people who won't punctuate, spell or use paragraphs properly. If you can't be arsed to take an extra two minutes to formulate your posts in a coherent fashion, then I'm not going to waste my time trying to decipher them.

Plus, I'm supposed to be watching my blood pressure.

Cheers

Jim
Sorry sir lol  :thumbsup:

hazy efc

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 25 September, 2012, 11:50:02 AM
No offence Hazy, but when I see a single sentence that length my eyes break.
Well if they have ill buy you a new pair  :D

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Dudley on 25 September, 2012, 12:38:59 PMPossibly - but Dredd's been trying to crack the States for nigh on forty years and yet again has proved not to be to American tastes (comic book fans aside).  If you think about it, though, that's hardly surprising, as Dredd's a punky British satire on America's ugliest traits - the ones that mainstream America really doesn't recognise in itself.  Even in the wonderfully stripped-down Garland version, it's basically a giant "Fuck You USA, you self-parodic violent hellhole."

Now, there are a few ways to break down that analysis, which I disagree with by the way. For one, studying say film for example, you'd know with Vietnam and movies and culture in the 70s, it's actually quite popular to criticize the government or the police. There are plenty of successful movies that paint authority in a negative light, yes even in America. In fact, especially in America.

And of course, if you think Dredd's message only applies to America, I think you're missing the big picture.

Plus as I've mentioned before, we got poorly colored reprints of random Dredd arcs and issues in the 80s, and a poor DC series, but saying they're tried very hard to get America in on Dredd for decades is a bit of an overstatement.

Dredd works the best in it's native serialized format, which we never got over here. Unless you paid a bit extra and got it imported at comic shops, or paid massive shipping charges for a subscription etc. And of course now that the Case Files that collect everything in order are being released here, theyr'e doing great. As was mentioned recently, Vol 1 sold out. Just sayin'.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: painbros22 on 25 September, 2012, 02:08:45 PM:sadface: I live in Denmark, Dredd opens on thursday, but Denmark has a nasty habit of pulling movies that flopped in the USA, and right on cue 80% of showings got pulled
How odd. I'd have thought for English-language movies Scandinavian countries would pay more attention to the UK response than the American one, given that Northern Europeans have more in common than Scandinavians and Americans. (BBC4's practically Scandinavian TV a good chunk of the time—it's shown Danish, Swedish, Norwegian and Icelandic shows over the past year.)

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: hazy efc on 25 September, 2012, 10:54:48 AM
A.it isnt american made and B.its been making a little noise outside of the states a noise they started with the great reviews at comic con and i think they didnt like the fact it opened in the uk first
I don't think the majority of the uninitiated even know this film is foreign, Karl Urban and Lena Hedley are well liked in Hollywood for example. I also don't think they'd know it opened in the UK first.

And of course, if they've heard it had great reviews at comic con, or even care about comic con, they probably are already initiated.

Judo

Poor Dredd running against Jake Gyllenhaal in End of Watch.  Pretty boy, only grossed about $666,233,283 in his lifetime says t'internets.  Hopefully you're all getting yer knickers in a twist and Dredds profile will pick up as the weeks go... but either way everyone better buy the books!! x
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Dash Decent

How many weeks can we expect Dredd to be screened in the US?  Or in other words, how many days left for it to earn the money it needs to get to sequel status?  I assume it would be shown simultaneously across the states?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

JOE SOAP

$2,068,482 opening weekend Russia (850 theatres)

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Dash Decent on 25 September, 2012, 03:27:48 PM
How many weeks can we expect Dredd to be screened in the US?  Or in other words, how many days left for it to earn the money it needs to get to sequel status?  I assume it would be shown simultaneously across the states?

Yeah it's in theaters all across the country, though there are some "second run" smaller theaters that might run it a bit later. I'd say it'll probably be in most theaters for about three weeks. Though they'll probably be fewer total showings of it, for example maybe say 3 showings a day instead of 6 a day at some screens.

Anyways, I'm going to see it again today to show somebody else, so I'm doing my part.  :thumbsup: