Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Quotethought Bub was one of the few highlights of that film, it made sense that the authorities would try to experiment on the dead to find some cure for the reanimation process or weapon against them (other than chronic head trauma),

While I agree that they would be doing research into how to stop Zombies without resorting to killing them, it's the actual results they get that bug me. It's tantamount to "humanising" the ultimate horror bad guys and therefore, I reckon, is stupid. ST: TNG did it with the Borg in various shows and I disliked that too.   Nobody tries to show you that Great White Sharks have feelings too. If "Bub" is the whole point of the film then Romero became shite earlier than I'd previously given him credit for.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

A dumb as you can get disaster movie that does exactly what it says on the can. Dumbly, I missed the sort of twist about the spaceships.

The destruction on display is spectacular and at times genuinely terrifying.  The plot holes, inconsitsencies and narrow escapes on display are equally so.  And hey, we're back to a happy nuclear family at the end.  But I knew those elements would be rubbish before going in so was just happy to enjoy the effects. 

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mardroid

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 15 April, 2012, 04:19:07 PM
While I agree that they would be doing research into how to stop Zombies without resorting to killing them, it's the actual results they get that bug me. It's tantamount to "humanising" the ultimate horror bad guys and therefore, I reckon, is stupid. ST: TNG did it with the Borg in various shows and I disliked that too.   Nobody tries to show you that Great White Sharks have feelings too.

Great White Sharks are a very different kind of monster to zombies though. I actually think it's the fact that zombies are essentially, human, yet equally essentially not*, which is part of what makes them so scary.

Even the ordinary bitey kind strike me as quite sad melancholic creatures. I liked what they did with Bub and the humour was welcome. It certainly made more sense than the reasoning behind the humanised zombie of the new film of the same name** [spoiler]who is basically that way because he fancies the main female lead[/spoiler].

Anyhow. The last film I watched was Predators.  I can understand peoples criticism that it was too much like the first film, but I thought it pretty good just the same. I found it rather slow moving at the start, yet thought that quite good as a lot of modern films tend to get to crazy stuff pretty quickly.

I'm not really sure what purpose his new breed of predator served though. The designs were good, but, apart from the fact [spoiler]these guys seem a bit less honourable, (although I'd argue it's more about sport than honour even with the previous predators. They might not kill you one on one if your unarmed, but they'll willingly nuke you and the entire neighbourhood if they find themselves in a no win situation.), but the creatures in the other films seem equally as tough. Until they're pitted against one of the uberpredators in this film of course.[/spoiler]  I think it might have made more sense if [spoiler]the original predators had a larger role, so that we see more of the conflict between these two breeds,[/spoiler] but I can understand why they didn't go that route in what is essentially a reintrodction to the Predator series. If there's a sequel I hope we see more of the conflict and an explanation of the two kinds.

At least we got to see a fight between individuals of the two kinds. [spoiler]And I'm glad the original iconic guy got to hold his own for a bit.[/spoiler]

So yeah.  A decent film but I think maybe more should have been done with it. I saw that twist with a certain character a mile off though, as I'm sure many other viewers did too. It wasn't unwelcome though.

*I'm aware that looks like a contradiction, but, think about it...

** I wouldn't really count it as a remake as the stories are very different. The second one isn't even set in a military complex although it is mainly about army guys.

Keef Monkey

Last night I introduced my mate to Slither because he hadn't seen it and it is ace. Some great Fillion moments and lots of splatter and laughs. In return he made me watch Yo Yo Girl Cop. It was not good. I thought Yo Yo was the girl cop's name, but it is in fact a reference to the fact that her only weapon is a yo yo (and a weird but not unattractive armoured catsuit that she whips out from nowhere at one point). It was truly awful, completely unintelligible and seemed to exist solely for the 5 minutes of actually quite fun action that happened towards the end. The rest was a lot of weird teen angst that I couldn't make any sense of, and a lot of off-screen explosions. When an on-screen explosion happened it was fairly obvious why they kept the others off-screen. The heroine is very easy on the eye, but that's not enough to get you through it and I struggled to stay awake for most of it.

Apparently from the director of Battle Royale 2, which made me a bit glad I've never gotten round to watching that.

Roger Godpleton

Cabin in the Woods, The. Worth seeing just because it has Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford having a ton of fun. I'm weary of anything Whedon does just because his fanbase is so annoying, but when he delivers it's always top shelf stuff. Plus I always have time for [spoiler]Fight CLub style "fuck all y'all" endings.[/spoiler]
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

brendan1

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 15 April, 2012, 11:36:30 PM
Cabin in the Woods, The. Worth seeing just because it has Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford having a ton of fun. I'm weary of anything Whedon does just because his fanbase is so annoying, but when he delivers it's always top shelf stuff. Plus I always have time for [spoiler]Fight CLub style "fuck all y'all" endings.[/spoiler]

Oh, I really want to see this, but is it worth the babysitting money?

JamesC

I really enjoyed Cabin in the Woods - great fun.
One of the things I liked most about it was that you could argue most horror films from the last 30 years are a part of this film's universe.

DeFuzzed

Interesting re Cabin, it's got lots of moments from movies past and instead of people crying hackjob and copycat etc etc, it's being praised for it. Do it right and everything old is new again.

Satanist

Drive – Michael Manns slow moving, violent lovechild and I quite enjoyed it. Couldve done without the synthi-pop though, that was a rip off tribute too far.

And Walter Whites in it too which made me happy.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

TordelBack

Walkabout.  Now I would have sworn in court that I'd seen this film all the way through at least twice in my childhood and early teens, and retained very fond (false) memories of a distantly-bathing Agutter, but on watching it the other night with the wife (who'd read the book, but not seen the film) it bore little or no resemblance to what I remember, from its savage beginning to its second inexplicable suicide(?) and the copious close-up oogling of Jenny with and without underthings.   I'd always understood it to be one of those 'noble savage/repressed whitey/ corruption of modern life/ majesty of the earth primeval'-type things, but it seemed to take an indecent interest in naked schoolgirls to get that across.  Indeed it took a visit to the IMDB and some quick sums to reassure me that I wasn't ready for the Nonce Wing quite yet. 

All I can figure is that my Dad must have been a master at sending me out to make a cup of tea at (numerous) appropriate moments.

Still, I loved the cinematography, the use of stills and intercut images and bizarre interludes. Clever boy, that Roeg.  Pervy, but clever.

dweezil2

Quote from: brendan1 on 16 April, 2012, 09:50:08 AM
Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 15 April, 2012, 11:36:30 PM

Oh, I really want to see this, but is it worth the babysitting money?

It is great fun and definitely worth a punt even the logic of the thing never really rings true. Nice cameo too. And yeah, you can never get enough of Richard Jenkins- loved his work since Flirting With Disaster. What a great film that is, even if it does star Ben Stiller.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Professor Bear

Immortals - which I stopped watching about twenty minutes in because my tv broke.  I was trying to watch the film but the picture was too dark and I couldn't make out a bloody thing that was going on, while some of the cast seemed to be mumbling nonsense rather than human speech.  Clearly there is something wrong with the television, like that time it broke during the Hangover and I didn't laugh once.

COMMANDO FORCES

God Bless America

I watched this last night and enjoyed the one upmanship over Falling Down. I'm sure you've all seen the trailer and know what goes on but believe me the best bits are not just left in that. One of my favourite scenes is with the baby but I'll leave you to see what I mean  :lol:

Judo

I reaaaaally want to see cabin in the woods - its looks exactly my sort of film - but fucked it up today and saw a french film about fostering called something that's translates roughly as 'The Kid with the bike'. It was actually quite a good film but it wasn't quite the same as expecting to see cabin in the woods.

Just watched alien vs predator 2 and I loved it... Except for the humans. Like cut every single scene with the humans out cept when they're getting killed and itd go from 3/10 to 10/10. Also the aliens and predator have blatant sexual tension and should just go for dinner x
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Judo on 18 April, 2012, 11:49:04 PM
Just watched alien vs predator 2 and I loved it...

I enjoy the AVP flicks more than most, particularly the much maligned second film. Don't know why folks rag on them so much.

Well, I've got a few flicks coming my way: Dario Argento's DEMONS 1&2 and a UK indie flick called SPLINTERED. Thoughts to follow...