Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: BPP on 08 January, 2016, 12:33:04 PM
I saw a film with a posho english lass running around...

I believe the drama schools on Jakku are excellent.

JamesC

I don't know what 'Twerpin' means

Hawkmumbler

Aliens the directors cut. Yeah, still probably my favourite movie of all time. An A+ and then some.

Tiplodocus

Pulp Fiction

For the first time in ten years. I was slightly underwhelmed. Remind me again why it's so good? It seems to have dated more than Reservoir Dogs. Doing drugs and saying motherfucker and the n-bomb aren't cool.

Still, Tiny Tips loved it. Especially the concept of how bad the "not a date" with Mia went.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dandontdare

QuoteRemind me again why it's so good?

You got old, man

radiator

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 08 January, 2016, 09:26:59 PM
Aliens the directors cut. Yeah, still probably my favourite movie of all time. An A+ and then some.

Aliens is one of those rare films that I'm pretty much always in the mood to watch - they're showing it at my favourite local cinema (an old converted Missionary church) next week for its 30 year anniversary. Can't bloody wait.

I'm in the process of giving our junior staff members an ongoing crash course in movie education (most of them have never seen so many classic films its insane) so this will be something of a field trip for them.

Pulp Fiction is a weird one - it was one of those films that had such a huge impact on pop culture and was so heavily parodied and referenced in everything I found it unwatchable for about 15 years. I finally found that there had been enough distance from it to revisit it recently and if anything think its improved with age. A true classic.

Jabberwocky

I watched The Martian last night ( Matt Damon was surprisingly good!) and watched The Hateful Eight today. Both were decent movies. I think if you enjoyed Django, then you'll equally enjoy The Hateful Eight and if you enjoyed Gravity then you'll love The Martian.

J

richerthanyou

12 Monkeys. I remember seeing this when it came out on video when I was about 12. The future vision with the underground society along with the people in cages and the weird scientist people really freaked me out at the time. Probably a bit harder for my 12 year old brain to grasp than Back To The Future, but I still remember really enjoying it. Despite all of the naked male rear ends in the film.

18 years later the film still stands up. Easily in my top 10 time travel movies. I actually watched it twice just now, once with the commentary too just in case I missed anything in the film. Great film with the solid acting in it.
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

Spikes

:crazy:
Quote from: radiator on 09 January, 2016, 12:49:54 AM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 08 January, 2016, 09:26:59 PM

Aliens is one of those rare films that I'm pretty much always in the mood to watch - they're showing it at my favourite local cinema (an old converted Missionary church) next week for its 30 year anniversary.

30 years old..... gulp.....

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Dandontdare on 09 January, 2016, 12:20:39 AM
QuoteRemind me again why it's so good?

You got old, man

Well that much is certain.

But I didn't have similar issues with Reservoir Dogs so there must be more to it.  I had it in my head that Pulp Fiction was all crazy and non-linear but it ain't much. The Bonnie Situation is simply lifted from the middle of the film and stuck at the end. Odd how your memory plays tricks on you.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

sheridan

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 09 January, 2016, 12:58:12 PMBut I didn't have similar issues with Reservoir Dogs so there must be more to it.  I had it in my head that Pulp Fiction was all crazy and non-linear but it ain't much. The Bonnie Situation is simply lifted from the middle of the film and stuck at the end. Odd how your memory plays tricks on you.

No, I think the non-linear structure is as you remembered it.

1 - "Prologue—The Diner"
2 - Prelude to "Vincent Vega and Marsellus Wallace's Wife"
3 - "Vincent Vega and Marsellus Wallace's Wife"
4a - Prelude to "The Gold Watch" flashback
4b -  Prelude to "The Gold Watch" present
5 - "The Gold Watch"
6 - "The Bonnie Situation"
7 - "Epilogue—The Diner"

If the seven sequences were ordered chronologically, they would run:

4a - Prelude to "The Gold Watch" flashback
2 - Prelude to "Vincent Vega and Marsellus Wallace's Wife"
6 - "The Bonnie Situation"
1 - "Prologue—The Diner"
7 - "Epilogue—The Diner"
3 - "Vincent Vega and Marsellus Wallace's Wife"
4b -  Prelude to "The Gold Watch" present
5 - "The Gold Watch"

Magnetica

Quote from: richerthanyou on 09 January, 2016, 10:42:24 AM
12 Monkeys. I remember seeing this when it came out on video when I was about 12. The future vision with the underground society along with the people in cages and the weird scientist people really freaked me out at the time. Probably a bit harder for my 12 year old brain to grasp than Back To The Future, but I still remember really enjoying it. Despite all of the naked male rear ends in the film.

18 years later the film still stands up. Easily in my top 10 time travel movies. I actually watched it twice just now, once with the commentary too just in case I missed anything in the film. Great film with the solid acting in it.

Just shows how opinions vary...easily in my worst two films of all time.

richerthanyou

Quote from: Magnetica on 09 January, 2016, 11:22:33 PM

What would the other one be then?
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

TordelBack

Quote from: Magnetica on 09 January, 2016, 11:22:33 PM

I can understand that you may not like 12 Monkeys - it's an odd one certainly - but worst film... Please elaborate!

Magnetica

Yes probably a poor choice of words. It's not that it or the other film I am referring to were badly shot, acted, directed etc. What I really mean is I did not like them at all. Both films were just way too wierd for me and I was bored watching them. Unlike virtually anything else they left an impression on me that I really did not like them and have no intention of watching them again.

The other film was Brazil, which if I recall correctly had multiple false endings. Each time I was thinking "please, please let this be the end".