Main Menu

Prog 2351 - Sam vs The Lawman

Started by Tjm86, 23 September, 2023, 03:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

A good prog with a good cover

Dredd – A good start to the Dredd story and hopefully after this series we have all our answers rather than a continuation of the pathogen storyline.

Feral and Foe – Good start and great to see this series back. I always loved the LOTR setting of any story and Abnett twist on the genre is great. I must say that Elson's excellent art took another step-up, those last two pages just feel epic.

Helium – They say patience is a virtue, but 8 years is not a virtue it is a lifetime in comics. I like the setup is done by giving us the background and then it morphs into the last panel on to where we are now. I will recommend rereading book 1. Before I forget is D'Israeli not one of the best colorist on the planet.

Robo-hunter – Not my favorite Wagner character so maybe that is why I did not really get this one-shot. Flint's art as always is a joy to watch the story itself was just too bland for my taste. Does this mean that Ennis next tooth venture will be the Return (yet again) of Robo-hunter?

Next week we have the return of Deadworld and a series that was advertise along time ago, The Devil's Railroad.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Woolly

Quote from: matty_ae on 26 September, 2023, 02:44:28 PMI thought the art on Sam Slade was brilliant but the story was pretty much just like a Marvel movie post-credits scene.

So a neat conversation with a very slight twist

but I'd much rather see them team up to solve a case (or fight).

Just seemed a bit throw away unless there's more.

It did feel like a joke spread over a few too many pages, didn't it?
I think if it had just appeared without any editorial fanfare the thrills would have been better appreciated! (Last panel made it all worth it though  :lol: )
And since when has Dredd cared for warrants issued in Brit-Cit? Surely Sam had no jurisdiction?

That said, I'm always happy to see more Henry Flint in the prog, and this doesn't disappoint.
I'm just worried for the seemingly immortal Mrs Gunderson now. Dredd better sort out some kind of new home help for her!

IndigoPrime

Quotesince when has Dredd cared for warrants issued in Brit-Cit? Surely Sam had no jurisdiction?
In the modern world, we have various intentional agreements regarding some aspects of policing and such. No reason to think that wouldn't be the case in the future. And although MC1/BC have had their ups and downs, they've mostly been portrayed as close allies throughout 2000 AD's run.

And I'm now thinking about this too much. I should have gone with: <pitchmeetingvoice>"Because that means the story can happen!"</pitchmeetingvoice>

broodblik

Here is interview with Ian Edginton and Disraeli related to Helium:

https://www.comicsbeat.com/interview-edginton-disraeli-on-the-return-of-helium-to-2000-ad/

Interesting about what Ian is saying about Brass Sun:
After Helium, Matt and I will be working on a Scarlet Traces prequel and then the LA story if it gets approved! We do have designs on more Stickleback at some point. Ampney Crucis or a variation thereof will be cropping up so keep your eyes peeled!

I keep on meaning to get back to Brass Sun. I have it all laid out right to the very end. I just need to sit my arse in the chair and get on with it!

Colin YNWA

From a readers perspective thats Ian Edginton's biggest problem. He does seem to get too distracted by the new shiny thing (he's said as much himself in other interviews I seem to recall) and that means he leaves things hangin' for ages. See Stickleback, the fact we seem to be getting more Ampney Crucis and Brass Sun is just sat there twiddlin' its thumbs.

Can understand why any creator would feel that, but add to those delays the fact he works with very busy artists and it leads to a very frustrating reader experience!

IndigoPrime

Didn't Stickleback end up in a place that could serve as a long-term pause/conclusion (like where Kingdom is now)? I like Ampney, but don't really care if it shows up again. More Scarlet Traces is all good, but that hit a good pause spot as well.

Honestly, it's more frustrating to know Brass Sun is all plotted out. If he was just winging it and didn't know where it was going next, fair enough. But, good grief. And there may well just come a point where it's abandoned, which would be a crying shame.

Max Headroom

More 'Stickleback' is great for me.

norton canes

After last week's Battle-Action behemoth, another blisteringly brilliant prog.

The cover's great but I can see how awkward it must have been to compose, incorporating Walter, Sam's reflection, his own gun arm and Dredd. Fortunately the McCrea droid's perspective circuits are up to the task! The story itself is beautifully written and realised (kudos to Rob Steen's delicate colour palette), with a thoroughly blindsiding denouement. Maybe this'll open the door for more adventures of Sam C. Slut.

Feral & Foe is my favourite of the Abnett droid's current strips so a double helping was very welcome. Lovely way to reintroduce the characters and recap the strip's premise. With Richard Elson (and Jim Campbell, of course) knocking things out of the park it almost - almost, mind - makes up for the recent lack of Kingdom.

I wasn't around for the first book of Helium so that's on the catch-up list, but it's always lovely to have Ian Edginton's very distinctive voice in the prog. Throw in an intriguing start to 'Poison' and you've got solid win from cover to cover. Ghafflebette!

nxylas

The Dredd/Robo-hunter story did seem like the setup for something. I hope so, anyway, otherwise it seems a bit inconsequential. Also, who is Rob Steen, and why does he always letter Ennis's stuff?
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: nxylas on 27 September, 2023, 03:14:26 PMAlso, who is Rob Steen, and why does he always letter Ennis's stuff?

Garth is very, very particular about how his stories are lettered, right down to balloon placements. I'm assuming that Rob does the lettering pretty much exactly how Garth wants it, and then Garth doesn't feel the need to do a round of notes getting the lettering 'fixed' to his liking.

(Mike Moreci asks for me on pretty much all of his books, for broadly similar reasons.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

norton canes

Oops sorry, I credited Rob Steen for colours in my post up there, not lettering

nxylas

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 September, 2023, 03:25:28 PMGarth is very, very particular about how his stories are lettered, right down to balloon placements. I'm assuming that Rob does the lettering pretty much exactly how Garth wants it, and then Garth doesn't feel the need to do a round of notes getting the lettering 'fixed' to his liking.

(Mike Moreci asks for me on pretty much all of his books, for broadly similar reasons.)
Interesting, I figured it might be something like that. I've heard of certain writer/artist combos working well together, but never a writer/letterer team.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

broodblik

Talking about lettering, I just noticed that the Dredd strip is lettered by Simon Bowland. The more interesting thing is I cannot the last few years remember anyone except Annie Parkhouse lettering Dredd.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: broodblik on 27 September, 2023, 07:57:05 PMThe more interesting thing is I cannot the last few years remember anyone except Annie Parkhouse lettering Dredd.

Annie's been unwell recently — she's recovering fine (as far as I know, from a brief communication with Steve P) so Simon and I are keeping her seat warm between us until she's ready to resume her duties in the Thrill Mines once again.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.