Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tombo

Quote from: johnnystress on 06 June, 2012, 03:30:34 PM
awww hell

http://io9.com/5916175/rip-ray-bradbury-author-of-fahrenheit-451-and-the-martian-chronicles

Rather spooky coincidence, I was looking at a copy of the Martian Chronicles in Waterstones today, thinking I should get around to reading them.  I'll have to pick up a copy next time I'm in town.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: johnnystress on 06 June, 2012, 03:30:34 PM
awww hell
http://io9.com/5916175/rip-ray-bradbury-author-of-fahrenheit-451-and-the-martian-chronicles

Damn. 'A Sound of Thunder' is one of the greatest Sci fi stories ever written. Must re read some of his books.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

von Boom

That is sad news. Another giant of sci fi has fallen.  :'(

Zarjazzer

R.I.P Ray Bradbury. He was a great writer and better still a great human being.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

locustsofdeath!

I started reading Ray Bradbury (Something Wicked This Way Comes) at nine years old, and over the years his work has been like a comforting friend to me. I'm not one to get too broken over a passing celebrity, but this really hits home. R.I.P., Mr. Bradbury.

TordelBack

Bradbury has been one of my favourite authors since the (tangentially related) Martian Chronicles TV series inspired me aged 10ish to pick up the book of the same name.  I've enjoyed almost everything he ever wrote, but particular favourites are the Green Town trilogy that spins loosely out of Dandelion Wine and the collection S is for Space.  Even helping my mildly-dyslexic brother through 'Franaeiht 541' for exams didn't dent my appreciation. 

A true master of both atmospheric detail and the hauntingly inexplicable.  91 isn't a bad innings when you've been out and about until almost the very end, and I'm truly delighted he lived to appreciate that song. 

Zanti Misfit

Very sad to hear this -  Ray Bradbury, the poet of Science Fiction, no longer with us. I Remember reading and loving 'A Sound of Thunder' many, many years ago; he had an incomparable talent for creating clever and magical short stories.

Bye Ray, finally going to Barsoom!

Syne

Sad new indeed about Bradbury. I'm not as big a fan of his work now as I was growing up, but hearing of his death reminds me how much I loved reading him. The Martian Chronicles of course, also one of his comic-thrillers A Graveyard for Lunatics, and especially Dandelion Wine - I read that one in one all-night session when I was about 14.

Have fun on the million year picnic, Ray.

Rog69

I started reading Ray Bradbury after the Martian Chronicles TV series too. It was the first proper sci-fi novel that I read and is still one of the best. I still have my paperback copy from the early 80's, I'm going to read Rocket Summer to my daughter for her bedtime story tonight if I can keep it from falling to pieces.

RIP Ray.

Syne

Quote from: Rog69 on 07 June, 2012, 08:38:19 AM
I'm going to read Rocket Summer to my daughter for her bedtime story tonight if I can keep it from falling to pieces.

That's a beautiful story, and it's a good example of how Bradbury used sci-fi concepts as an excuse for poetic imagery. Entire races ascending to Mars on clouds of warm air. . .

Dandontdare

Quote from: Rog69 on 07 June, 2012, 08:38:19 AM
I started reading Ray Bradbury after the Martian Chronicles TV series too. It was the first proper sci-fi novel that I read and is still one of the best. I still have my paperback copy from the early 80's,

yes, me too. That TV adaptation really blew my mind as a kid - time for a re-read I think. 'Something Wicked..' was also an incredible book, but y'know I don't think I've ever actualy read Farenheit 451.

SmallBlueThing

I was thinking exacty the same thing this morning, when looking over the bradbury section in waterstones. I think it's the one (of his major works) ive not got or read. Will remedy that very soon. I also first found his stories through the tv martian chronicles back in the day, which also blew my mind. A week or so ago i spent a few bedtimes reading the boys some of his stories- the jar and skeleton notably, as well as some of his dinosaur tales- and they loved them, even if they maybe didnt 'get' them completely. Rest in peace, ray.

SBT

Noisybast

Quote from: Tombo on 06 June, 2012, 03:47:02 PM
Rather spooky coincidence, I was looking at a copy of the Martian Chronicles in Waterstones today, thinking I should get around to reading them.  I'll have to pick up a copy next time I'm in town.

Bet the price has gone up now...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Albion

I think Fahrenheit 451 is the only Ray Bradbury book I have read. Must read more.
I've never seen the Martian Chronicles tv series either.  :(
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

TordelBack