Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a chosen rider

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 07 November, 2012, 05:08:59 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 07 November, 2012, 04:54:29 PM
Crikey I thought we lost him years ago - who'd have thought he'd be (almost) the last survivor?

Why so? Wasn't he one of the youngest of the cast?

Yeah, I was shocked to realise he was 92.  I knew he was only in his forties when they filmed the series - guess I hadn't really registered just how long ago that was.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Daveycandlish

I shall watch an episode in his memory tonight :-(
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 07 November, 2012, 05:08:59 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 07 November, 2012, 04:54:29 PM
Crikey I thought we lost him years ago - who'd have thought he'd be (almost) the last survivor?

Why so? Wasn't he one of the youngest of the cast?

Apparently so - just listening to the news, I had no idea that he was so much younger than than the characters he played.

Frank

Just Pike and Hodges (the ARP warden) left now. Even Philip Madoc, the U-boat captain from the "don't tell them, Pike" episode, is deid.

Daveycandlish

I believe the vicar is still going too...
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Frank

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 07 November, 2012, 07:05:19 PM
I believe the vicar is still going too...

Do you remember the episode of The Simpsons where the surviving cast members of Bonanza do a personal appearance at the Springfield mall, and it's just two fat Apaches?

Grant Goggans

That Ceefax page is completely brilliant.

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie on 07 November, 2012, 06:54:40 PM
Just Pike and Hodges (the ARP warden) left now.

And Pike was on Eastenders - that's a form of living death.  Stupid boy.

Both my grandfathers and all my great uncles having died when I was too small to appreciate them, Clive Dunn in his later incarnations functioned as a substitute TV grandad. Sad to hear he's gone, but glad to see he got in nearly 30 years of retirement in Portugal!  Quite like the sound of that myself.

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Adrian Bamforth

It's a tribute to Clive Dunn's talents that no-one questioned he was as old as the other actors. In the excellent episode 'Two and a Half Feathers' we get a rare glimpse of Jones in flashback the Sudan, and both Dunn and Lavander playing their own age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qow0q5nNXf8

Batman's Superior Cousin

Bill Tarmey, "Jack Duckworth" in Coronation Street!!!!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20270904
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

von Boom

Oh man, my wife is going to be gutted about that one. She loves Corrie and had a soft spot for Jack.

Sad news.

Dandontdare

that's a shame. I thought his screen death was the best ever in a soap, as the ghost of Vera came to take him to heaven on t'bus.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Dandontdare on 09 November, 2012, 02:39:09 PM
that's a shame. I thought his screen death was the best ever in a soap, as the ghost of Vera came to take him to heaven on t'bus.
Did you just make that up?
I hope not..!

Dandontdare

No it's true! he nodded off in front of the telly, then Vera came in and said something like "Ee Jack, gerrup we're late. T'bus is here, c'mon". He persuaded her into having a little dance, like they used to do down the palais, and then left with her. Tyrone came home later to find him dead in his armchair. I don't mind admitting I filled up.