Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: vzzbux on 09 December, 2012, 10:53:35 AM
The media have a lot to answer for around the world but never want to put their hand up to anything and when it does blow up  in their faces they try to pass the blame.

As BigBarryPenge! points out above, the media are only pandering to an ugly side of all our natures.

vzzbux

A recent example was with the BBC after the Saville stuff started coming out, they jumped on the alledged unnamed tory MP involved in child sex pushing it as top news. We all know now that was untrue and it was ITV and Schofield that took the brunt.
Get your facts right first, media.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Trout

Quote from: Big Barry PengeBack on 08 December, 2012, 09:22:28 AM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 08 December, 2012, 08:58:28 AM...the hypocrisy of the media.

The media we get are the media we pay for.  And before Troutfire has to say it, 'media' is not some homogenous entity.

Exactly. When this hospital made a reference to "journalistic trickery", every journalist I know was horrified and angry. These idiots aren't journalists. Everyone I know was very sad for this poor nurse.

Zarjazzer

Quote from: vzzbux on 09 December, 2012, 10:53:35 AM
The media have a lot to answer for around the world but never want to put their hand up to anything and when it does blow up  in their faces they try to pass the blame.

V

They want power but no responsibility. I feel very sorry for that poor nurse and her family. A terrible tragedy.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Steve Green

Quote from: vzzbux on 09 December, 2012, 11:16:18 AM
A recent example was with the BBC after the Saville stuff started coming out, they jumped on the alledged unnamed tory MP involved in child sex pushing it as top news. We all know now that was untrue and it was ITV and Schofield that took the brunt.
Get your facts right first, media.

V

ITV and Schofield?

Give over.

The BBC took a far bigger hit, and the This Morning stunt was more amateur hour than even Newsnight's risible attempt at trying to atone for punting the Savile investigation.

And both pale into what is said on social media.

SKD

It's just been on the news that Sir Patric Moore has died.

Stew.

Dandontdare

Sir Patrick Moore.

Legend.

Frank

Goaty

Zarjazzer

And a navigator as well. RIP Sir Patrick Moore. A giant in every sense.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Spikes

Aye, a true one-off. RIP Patrick Moore.

TordelBack

Patrick Moore has been one of my heroes for as long as I can remember, singlehandedly inspiring my love of stargazing and things astronomical*, and probably costing me more sleepless nights than the prospect of nuclear war and amphetamines combined. 

I only met him once, maybe 25 years ago, after a lecture in Dublin's RDS, and he was everything you would expect: warm, focused, brilliant and not a little nuts.  I have a whole bookshelf proudly dedicated to his writing, including his wonderfully British kids' SF series Scott Saunders, which at one time were my favourite books in the whole world**.

I've been pleasantly amazed to see him soldiering on for ages now, but that doesn't mean I can believe he's actually gone.  A very sad day.

* Coincidentally Patrick led at second-hand to my son getting into trouble in school on Friday, for (no doubt rudely) insisting that there were constellations called the Little Bear and Pegasus (only 'the Big Dipper' is on the curriculum ,it seems), and what's more he could point them out (he can), and that a micro-planet called Cruithne shares our orbit (it does). 

** I must have spent whole days just looking at the displays and panels on this one:

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Big Barry PengeBack on 09 December, 2012, 02:52:46 PM
Patrick Moore has been one of my heroes for as long as I can remember

Me too; when I had thoughts of being smarter than I was back in Christmas 1985 I asked for and received this magnum opus,

He was one of a kind.

Zanti Misfit

Very sad news.  I met him in the 90's, a true gentlemen.  He said his favourite SF novel was Last and First Men by Olaf Stapeldon, so I immediately went and read it (loved it too).
Farewell, Patrick.