Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Albion on 22 February, 2013, 06:11:15 PM
Animator of some fine cartoons from my childhood, Bob Godfrey. Just a few days after Richard Briars who narrated Roobarb & Custard

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21552718

That's sad. Godfrey said he developed the strobe-effect action and dancing colour of his animation because he didn't have the cash to pay a team to fill in the colour and drawn the linking frames between poses necessary to provide the illusion of smooth movement. As a kid, I just thought it was a stylistic choice and two fingers up to the pretty but anodyne animated features being produced by Disney and Bakshi at that time. When I first heard Firestarter, it reminded me of the energy of the Roobarb and Custard theme and the effect it had on me as a wee boy.

He did the more sedate but still irreverent Henry's Cat too.

Spikes

Quote from: sauchie on 22 February, 2013, 06:31:05 PM
That's sad. Godfrey said he developed the strobe-effect action and dancing colour of his animation because he didn't have the cash to pay a team to fill in the colour and drawn the linking frames between poses necessary to provide the illusion of smooth movement. As a kid, I just thought it was a stylistic choice and two fingers up to the pretty but anodyne animated features being produced by Disney and Bakshi at that time. When I first heard Firestarter, it reminded me of the energy of the Roobarb and Custard theme and the effect it had on me as a wee boy.

Indeed it is sad news, and coming so soon after Richard Briers death, as well.
Roobarb and Custard is burnt into my subconsious, but it was nice to revisit that opening scene again via that link.
When my eldest niece was a lot younger, we had a 'best of' DVD that contained an episode each from all those 70's kids programmes - Roobarb was a particular favourite, and we both would regularly watch it together. Shrieks of laughter from her that then started me off. Great fun.

Heath C Ackley

Sorry to hear about Godfrey. I can remember watching a documentary on him years ago. He seemed to be regarded as quite radical in his methods and outlook by his fellow animators. As well as his kids tv work he also made risque adult 'toons as well!
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

TordelBack

For some significant time Roobarb and Custard was my favourite cartoon in the world - I clearly remember being utterly shocked to see it in colour for the first time, after years of watching in B&W. Where once I used to wreck the couch bouncing up and down violently in time to it, the theme tune still frequently plays in my head whenever I have to pick up the pace - nan-a-nang-nang nan-a-nang-nang dang-de-dang-de-dang.  So sad to see both Bob Godfrey and Richard Briers bow out at the same time. 

JOE SOAP

I once had a Henry's Cat mug, wish I still did. Ebay here I come.

1970's doc on Godfrey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1iNllsFj_c

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 23 February, 2013, 12:03:23 AM
I once had a Henry's Cat mug, wish I still did. Ebay here I come. 1970's doc on Godfrey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1iNllsFj_c

Cheers, Soap. It's brilliant that Godfrey speaks exactly like Henry's cat in real life. Obviously he employed The Method to 'become' Chris Rabbit.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: sauchie on 22 February, 2013, 06:31:05 PM
Quote from: Albion on 22 February, 2013, 06:11:15 PM
Animator of some fine cartoons from my childhood, Bob Godfrey. Just a few days after Richard Briars who narrated Roobarb & Custard

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21552718

That's sad. Godfrey said he developed the strobe-effect action and dancing colour of his animation because he didn't have the cash to pay a team to fill in the colour and drawn the linking frames between poses necessary to provide the illusion of smooth movement. As a kid, I just thought it was a stylistic choice.

Yes indeed - and it has been adopted since as a legitimate technique by many animators to inject life into otherwise static scenes. I've used it myself on more than one occasion - it also allows for the static scenes to be easily amended, such as the rolling of eyes and sticking out tongues etc.  I uploaded a demonstration of this particular technique/effect some time ago. I'll see if I can dig it out.

Yep, he was a legend - hugely influential. Sad to see him go.

Dandontdare

very sad - anyone remember the naughty adult cartoons he did for OTT, the grown-up spin off of Tiswas?

Daveycandlish

Ray Cusick has died aged 84.

You may not know the name but you will know his most famous design - he was the man who designed the look of the daleks;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21563344
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

von Boom

Sad. Those pepper pot aliens helped to bring a lot of happiness to people.

[dalek voice on]Rest...in...peace.[/dalek voice off]

Hawkmumbler

Pity he never got as much recognition as Terry Nation. RIP.

Spikes

Pity Terry Nation wouldnt let him get recognition, more like.

rogue69

Colin Andrew british comic book artist from the 50's 60's & 70's worked on classics like TV Century 21, Doctor Who magazine, & Eagle

Frank

Mokhtar Belmokhtar, who the media assure me was the mastermind behind January's raid on an Algerian oil refinery and the hostage taking and murders which followed. Go Chad.

Hawkmumbler

Lost a dear freind on friday evening, she was crushed against the pavement on the way to the karate dojo we attend when two cars collided. 54 is no age to die, not with grand children and a large circle of freinds like us. RIP Margaret, we'll all miss you.  :'(