Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 02 April, 2013, 11:45:21 AM
One of the greatest directors of all time.

Jess Franco RIP

:'(

Great? Hmmmm. Certainly mad as a box of frogs and often did reasonably well with a very limited budget but I think great may be stretching it a bit.

Still, glad he got to see the release of his final film. I haven't seen it yet but the fact that he died the day after it came out does not bode well.  ;)

He did helm one of the best adaptations of Dracula and his Virgin Among The Living Dead is fascinating.

I think the death of Linda Romay last year may just have hastened his departure.

Farewell Jess.

Mister Macheath

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 02 April, 2013, 01:24:03 PMGreat? Hmmmm.

Agreed. Definitely far from my favourite Euro horror kook, but certainly an instituion and a ferociously interesting character to boot.

While the hit to miss ratio of his canon is weighted pretty heavily on the negative side IMHO, I've got the utmost respect for his ability to get a picture made, his way. He'll be missed!

Pete Wells

Hmmmm, RIP, 'a man.'

When driving back from the beach with my little girl just now there was a bunch of police cars next to the train tracks. I stupidly looked and am pretty sure I saw a headless body.

It was a fleeting glance but I can't get it out of my brain, got awful butterflies too. Poor bloke.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Pete Wells on 03 April, 2013, 03:59:30 PM
Hmmmm, RIP, 'a man.'

When driving back from the beach with my little girl just now there was a bunch of police cars next to the train tracks. I stupidly looked and am pretty sure I saw a headless body.

It was a fleeting glance but I can't get it out of my brain, got awful butterflies too. Poor bloke.
How horrible.  :-\

darnmarr

That sounds quite harrowing. Good job it was you and not the young lady with you that saw that particular scenario though.

SKD

RIP Jane Henson, co-creator of The Muppets, aged 78.

Stew.

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Hawkmumbler

Zarjazzer

Ah corporate trash. Cut jobs to boost the profit. Oldest trick in the book from a bunch of psychopaths.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 03 April, 2013, 09:01:23 PM
Ah corporate trash. Cut jobs to boost the profit. Oldest trick in the book from a bunch of psychopaths.

Or cut jobs because LucasArts was operating in the red.

Zarjazzer

No.It's just about control.And they do control it now. Lock,stock and...
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 03 April, 2013, 09:01:23 PM

From the linked article:
QuoteIn the 2000s, the company became more reliant on its Star Wars products and licenses sold to other developers as new efforts like Fracture failed to take hold. The decade's most notable successes—Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Star Wars: Battlefront—were both externally developed, by BioWare and Pandemic Studios, respectively. LucasArts' last title to see mainstream success was 2008's Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. A 2010 sequel didn't live up to expectations. The last game published by LucasArts was Kinect Star Wars for the Xbox 360 last year, a game widely panned by critics.

That's why.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 03 April, 2013, 09:06:35 PM
No.It's just about control.And they do control it now. Lock,stock and...

If it was suffciently profitable and making money, they wouldn't be shutting it down.

Daveycandlish

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22011629

Milo O'Shea has died - Duran Duran in Barbarella - at the grand age of 86
(one of those I thought had died years ago!)
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

willthemightyW

RIP Roger Ebert :(
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.