Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 12 June, 2013, 02:40:35 PM
the last person from the 19th century

Well, thats certainly a very good innings, and being the last person from the 19th century really puts that age into perspective, doesnt it.

RIP, Mr Kimura

Simon Beigh

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 12 June, 2013, 02:40:35 PM
the last person from the 19th century

It is sobering to think when I was a child I had friends who had grandparents or great-grandparents that were born in the 19th century...

As Judge Jack said, a fine innings indeed.

RIP Mr Kimura

Hawkmumbler

Agreed, thats no bad age and really make's you consider the potential for longevity. You can only imagine the stories he must have living through so many historicaly signifecant events.

JOE SOAP

A.Cow

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 20 June, 2013, 12:21:42 AM
James Gandolfini

Great shame.  51 is too young but he made an indelible stamp on modern culture that will outlast many of us.

Sideshow Bob

Yes, very sad to hear of his death.......And at only 51 years old ......way, way too young....

First saw him, in a really great movie, True Romance as the 'thinking' Hit man.......a great performance...
And obviously,  as Tony Soprano in The Sopranos ....just brilliant...
And as a character actor in various other roles....The Last Castle with Robert Redford, being one.....a really great actor....
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Goaty

Bloody hell. Too young!

RIP James, thank you for The Sopranos :(

Colin YNWA

Just seen the news. The Sopranos is probably my favourite ever TV show and its such a shame that Jame Gandolfini has passed way too young.

As people have said here though it wasn't just his most famous role, he was a great actor, for me I always remember the part he played in the Coen Brothers' very under-rated 'The man who wasn't there', superb.

Frank

Cut to black and roll credits without music.

TordelBack

Kim Thompson, A champion of innovation in and translation of great comics.  I can't even guess how many of my favourite reads have been from Fantagraphics.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 June, 2013, 08:00:29 AM
Kim Thompson, A champion of innovation in and translation of great comics.  I can't even guess how many of my favourite reads have been from Fantagraphics.

Man that is very sad news...

Also, RIP Slim Whitman: our last line of defence is gone. Prepare for Martian invasion.

Colin YNWA

Yeah the passing of Kim Thompson is another massive loss and also too soon. He leaves behind a legacy that almost anybody in the comics industry should be enviable of. Really did do so much to shape the diversity of the medium and deserves an incredible amount of recognition for this.

Sideshow Bob

Sad to hear of the death of Kim Thompson.....also way too young....

I didn't really know much about him, until I watched the Sky Arts show about comics....Ink..Alter Egos Exposed, where they did an interview with him and he talked about Fantagraphics....
His belief that the creators of comics and comic characters should retain 'ownership' of their creations, struck me as very 'forward thinking' at the time...
Seemed like a genuinely nice man who 'loved' the medium he worked in...
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Recrewt

James Gandolfini

I always hate waking up and hearing an actor that I like has died.  I hate it even more when they were only 51.  This is really sad news, he was a great actor and as well as the fantastic Sopranos he also did some outstanding film work.  I particularly liked him in In the Loop, The Last Castle and True Romance.

Link Prime

Damn, 51 is no age to go.
I really thought he was older to be honest.

Sad day.