Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Wow, great post by Louis,

and many people mistake me for Louis Theroux!

CrazyFoxMachine

Theroux has a unique perspective on the man and said it wonderfully - very, very interesting read cheers for posting that Pops.

Jim_Campbell

David Trampier, for me, one of the definitive artists in D&D's early years...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Trampier was THE D&D artist for me, such a fabulous sense of design, each monster and party like a little cartouche.  His DM's screen was the single most influential D&D product I ever bought, his tone-setting images the only constant in hundreds of hours of play.  Even when I ran things other than D&D I just bluetacked the relevant tables inside it.

The Doctor Alt 8

Bloody hell... he was only 60... that's really no age at all
RIP

von Boom

I spent HOURS pouring over Trampler's drawings. They brought worlds alive for me. He'll be missed. RIP. :(

Dandontdare

I wouldn't have known his name but those b/w images are seared on my consciousness and I often tried to copy them as a teenager. RIP

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Dandontdare on 28 March, 2014, 05:10:11 PM
I wouldn't have known his name but those b/w images are seared on my consciousness and I often tried to copy them as a teenager. RIP
Snap. One of them 'I know that artist!' Types who you respect without being aware of who they truly are. RIP

QuickQuag

It sounds as though Tramp, like a few of the early D&D pioneers, led a pretty troubled life, and his disappearance is pretty much now part of the legend. Very saddened to read this - he was a master.
The views above are entirely my own. And there's the problem.

Zarjazzer

Very sad news about David Trampier -the PH cover is one of the most fabulous and iconic illustrations for me.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Daveycandlish

Lorenzo Semple Jr - writer on 60s Batman TV show and 80s Flash Gordon movie has died aged 91  :(
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 28 March, 2014, 07:19:07 PM
Very sad news about David Trampier -the PH cover is one of the most fabulous and iconic illustrations for me.

And he also drew some of the very best beasties in the MM. There's nothing like those old manuels.

Zarjazzer

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 28 March, 2014, 10:38:17 PM
Quote from: Zarjazzer on 28 March, 2014, 07:19:07 PM

And he also drew some of the very best beasties in the MM. There's nothing like those old manuels.
Indeed. A sore loss. His Pit Fiend is still one of my favourite illustrations even now. So evil looking.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Frank

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 28 March, 2014, 09:40:02 PM
Lorenzo Semple Jr - writer on 60s Batman TV show and 80s Flash Gordon movie has died aged 91

Which makes him responsible for forming my early preferences in fiction and the way my brain still works to this day. Sounds like he must have enjoyed a comfortable retirement in the California sunshine, which is something I wish could say for all of the writers and artists who entertained me in childhood and adolescence. He worked on The Parallax View, Papillon, and Three Days of the Condor too!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorenzo_Semple,_Jr.

GrinningChimera

Oderus Urungus a.k.a Dave Brockie

The music world has lost of one it's greats.

R.I.P