Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

"I like my planes like I like my women. No! Get inside her 5 times a day and take her to heaven and back! WOOF!"

RIP

Spikes

Aye, very sad news indeed. Cant quite believe it, tbh.

RIP peoples poet.

Professor Bear

And punks and skins and Rastas will all gather 'round and all hold their hands in sorrow for their fallen leader and all the grown-ups will say "but why are the kids crying?"
And the kids will say, "Haven't you heard? Rick is dead."

RIP, Rik.

von Boom

Shocking and sad news about Rik Mayall. RIP.

shaolin_monkey

Yeah, it's shocking. I was only yesterday listening to a Richard Herring podcast where he and his guest discussed at length the impact Mayall had on their approach to comedy.

One of my fondest memories of my grandmother, now long dead, was how shocked she was at the Young Ones, yet how funny she also found it, particularly Rik.

Even now I find myself laughing when I remember Rik going through Jennifer Saunders' bag at the party, and finding the tampon - 'Did you get me a present? Ooh look, it's a little mouse!' and then gives it a drink, and suddenly realises what it is.

Comedy genius. Such a shame.

Heath C Ackley

Absolutely gutted my all-time comedy hero has gone. I've followed Rik since Kevin Turvey. Each generation has their comedy legends - Goons Python League Of Gentlemen - and The Young Ones were mine. It was great to see him return to the tv screen with Man Down. I can't be too sentimental about him because he would have hated that and given me a justifiable two fingered salute!

Had enough Nazi, or do you want some more?
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

radiator

QuoteYeah, it's shocking. I was only yesterday listening to a Richard Herring podcast where he and his guest discussed at length the impact Mayall had on their approach to comedy.

Which episode was that? Simon Pegg? Want to give it a listen.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: radiator on 09 June, 2014, 05:41:02 PM
QuoteYeah, it's shocking. I was only yesterday listening to a Richard Herring podcast where he and his guest discussed at length the impact Mayall had on their approach to comedy.

from memory, Greg Davis one, I think.

CrazyFoxMachine

ah - yes Greg Davies is strikingly similar to him ... and Rik last played his dad in Man Down...

despite only being ten years older!

:'( Still in complete shock

Daveycandlish

Absolutely gutted by that one.  I love Bottom. (Don't take that out of context!)
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Greg M.

I just can't get my head around the idea that Rik's no longer with us. I was watching various interviews and performances of his online just last week, including one where he's trying to control himself on children's tv and not make a joke about johnnies. I love that guy –  it's a tamer, sadder world for his passing.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 09 June, 2014, 05:46:34 PM
Quote from: radiator on 09 June, 2014, 05:41:02 PM

from memory, Greg Davis one, I think.

They mention him in a few actually - Edgar Wright talked about him a bit too. Obviously Alexei Sayle mentioned him more than once.  I'm pretty sure Graham Linehan mentions him too.

TordelBack

So sad to hear about Rik.  I must have passed more hours in school 'hilariously' quoting Rick, Lord Flashheart, Alan and later Richie than almost anything else.  A real comedy hero whose merest pervy grin could reduce me to hysterics.

Bat King

Dangerous Brothers used to really amuse me as well as those already mentioned.

Bloomin sad news. Bloke had brilliant timing and consistent characterisation.

56. 9 years older than me. He was brilliant.

yeah.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

CrazyFoxMachine

Ade has said summat now:

"There were times when Rik and I were writing together when we almost died laughing. They were some of the most carefree stupid days I ever had, and I feel privileged to have shared them with him.

"And now he's died for real. Without me. Selfish bastard."

:'(