Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Aww Lauren Bacall with deadly pout.

TordelBack

A great talent, a gorgeous woman and what a voice.

Professor Bear

That's a shame.  Apparantly she threatened to beat her grandchild with a shoe for making her watch Twilight - that's the kind of class I like in a broad.

von Boom

Terrible news. A real classy dame.

Frank

Talking about Bacall appears to have turned everyone into a character from a Chandler or Ellroy novel.

JamesC

If I just put my lips together and blow it makes a sort of raspberry sound. Whistling aint as easy as it looks.

Jim_Campbell

"A blonde to make a bishop kick a hole in a stained-glass window..."

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Mullah Abdul Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Bear on 13 August, 2014, 11:35:10 AM
That's a shame.  Apparantly she threatened to beat her grandchild with a shoe for making her watch Twilight - that's the kind of class I like in a broad.

In old age, she raged against what she saw as the mediocrity of contemporary Hollywood, as represented by everything from the career of Tom Cruise to the Twilight movies that her granddaughter dragged her to see. "She said it was the greatest vampire film ever made," Bacall recalled. "After the film was over, I wanted to smack her across the head with my shoe."

Instead, Bacall bought the child a DVD of FW Murnau's 1922 classic Nosferatu. "Now that's a vampire film," she told her sternly.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/aug/13/lauren-bacall-dies-at-89
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Heath C Ackley

Lauren Bacall possessed a talent rarely seen in Hollywood actresses; she played sexy with a strong, intelligent edge. It was this ability - in her youth - that made her characters more than just the 'love interest.' It is the sign of a survivor that when the times changed so did she - forsaking Hollywood for the theatre. Considering that it was only a magazine cover that led to her big break, the length of her career must surely be a indication of her acting ability.

I'm sorry about the length of this and the Robin Williams post. It's just when you are a fan, you just enthuse a little too much!
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Batman's Superior Cousin

Well said Zippo, well said!!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Sideshow Bob

Lauren Bacall....A very sad loss of a tremendously talented and absolutely stunningly beautiful actress...

Going back, just for a moment,  to the tragic death of Robin Williams and in particular Tordelbacks' very astute quotes about depression, I saw this on facebook and thought it was particularly relevant...

http://www.upworthy.com/what-is-depression-let-this-animation-with-a-dog-shed-light-on-it?c=ufb4

Hope this link works,
Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Grugz

great link bob..
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Bat King

That's a great little video.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Fungus

Clever video - ta for posting.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 12 August, 2014, 06:06:31 PM
I couldn't believe the news when I read it.

MORK IS NO MORE

That's where I first saw him on television back in 1979 0r a little earlier and a classic sitcom.

It's really sad that that I'll never meet him (Even if that might seen as a blessing for him...) and seen him tour if he was ever planning to in the near future.

So many roles...I think I like him best in Good Morning Vietnam, (His voice work for the Genie in Alladin, Gumanji, Miss Doubtfire (There was a sequel planned...you know!!) Millienium-Man (Now, that would be a idea, but there is rumour of that his passing had nothing to do with his age or health.) One-Hour-Photo (Creepy...)

On the subject of his tours and how I've never seen him perform on stage. It was less then ten years ago now while I was semi-homeless in the city of Sydney, New South Wales that I was listening to practically almost a entire cd of his stand up work current to that time in a music store in Fox-Studios near Centennial-Park. In this store and I could sit in one of these booths with headphones on and choose to listen to what was available. This was for free and I was proberly meant to purchase the cd before leaving the shop.  It was his usual humorous look at life, his comedic fair and very hilarious as well. I just hope my carelessness here wasn't the breeze from the beatings of a butterfly's wings that resulted in the hurricane drove him to the state he's now in.

On a sligthly different note.. I had always thought that if the Dragon-Lance novels were to be made into a film or television series. He would have made a great Fizban] the elderly wizard avatar of the god Paladine, but after the flop of the original and more generic Dungeons & Dragon's film. I don't think that (or my personal realisation of it.) would have ever come to be

Here's another memory of Mork

My apologies if you find any of my remarks inappropriate. Yet, you should know me by now and that I do mean well.

Damn, I said Millienium-Man when it should have been Bicentennial-Man....so, I got my years mixed up. Kind of like millimetre and centermeters in earlier thread topic  :P

Other movies....

I liked him in...

Popeye as the man himself and a superb and very accurate realisation of the cartoon. I'm surprised it didn't spawn a sequel or even television series.

The World According to Garp.... There is weird stuff to read about if you click on the link I made....I only really recall the topless girl he made out with and him being shot at the end and being flown somewhere. I think it was the opening credits that showed off this sequence of pictures drawn by a kid which is very memorable to me. Otherwise I couldn't sit through this again and I'm not really into butch transexuals.

Dead Poets Society.... Seen this a few times and thought I have always like New England. Sort of bridge the gap between America or Canada and the British-Isles. It's this lush green country side and the forests. Not that I've been there though. As for...Seize the Day!

I just can't do that as much now.

Good Will Hunting Now, I know I'm not smart, not academically at least. So, I could never really appreciate this film as much and don't have a lot to say about this one.

Jack I can almost sympathise with his character here. Not that I like to admit to retardation. But my life has been rather slow with regards to relationships and work as well and I'm still living at home with my dad. I can only comment about the bit where he stuck his hand and under his shirt in mockery of how  he appreciated the ditsy brunette's upper chest and his personal graduation scene.

I think it's called Moscow on Broadway or Moscow on Brooklyn.  or something like that where he was very convincing Russian immigrant who moved to New York. I think he was either in Russia or some place where they had secret police and he went through a lot of crap just to pay his girlfriend a visit. This movie had some more female nudity than the rest or that's how I recall it. Which is big thing with a prepubescent kid such as myself in the early 80's who had hardly any contact with the opposite sex.

I think that's most of the films...... the other ones I didn't mention earlier. Then I found this on Facebook not long ago.

Lewis Black blasts Limbaugh: 'F*CK YOU' for making light of Robin Williams' death

Something I hope never gets directed at me, because I had few words to share here....

(Hopefully not seen as unkind, but respectful words!)

When I  only know his body of work and not the man himself. Not personally, but could I be forgiven for thinking I might know him so well because I've seen him in so many aspects, that it's almost personal.

Trying not to sound gay here, as I feel the same about a lot of female celebrities well.

There are two famous people that are now dead that I have met or at least one of them I have only seen in person.

The first is the guy from the old Kun-Fu television series. A real martial-artist, who dies of auto-aphixia. You might know that fellow better if I mention I saw him briefly at a convention in Sydney in the early nauts promoting one of the Kill Bill films. I think he was the bad guy who spoke  with that weird, but distinctive lisp. I might have preferred to be viewing Urma Thurman or Darryl Hannah. I merely walk into the room where he was sitting behind a long desk with other celebs (John Noble, ethanor from LOTR and some cheeky oriental guy who was Ghost from The Matrix-Trilogy.) and walked over to stare right at him and walk very quickly away from him. Because I did
n't know how to greet him at the time. Yet, at least I saw him.

I also met Doc Neeson and his band the The Angels when they were promoting one of their last album/cds on the Gold-Coast and I shoot hands with the fellow and exchanged a few words with him
and the others as well. Which reminded me how eccentric the famous are. They will never be the same without him as he only died a few months earlier. I've also seen him up close and from a distance in concert and even walked right past him without so much as a nod.

So it's funny how we mourn the well known dead almost as much as our own because they still enter our lives most regularly if still less personally.

I said this before and will repeat...because it's important to.....remember them first!

My mother and her parents died all over the course of the last eleven years. The last one a few months ago now.

Rest In Peace to them all and hoping nothing I wrote here is perceived as disrespect.