Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 06 May, 2015, 03:15:15 AM
First I heard!

Must be something in the water, as I only heard about Harve Bennett the other day (though to be fair, he passed away around the same time as Leonard Nimoy and got overshadowed slightly).  A great contributor to Star Trek's rejuvenation in general, but also gave us specifically the high watermark of the franchise in Wrath of Khan.

ZenArcade

Ah ballicks, error was a top guy. Bummer. RIP. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Dandontdare

King of The Blues B.B. KING, aged 89

Gutted about this - I adore BB King and have seen him a few times. Always gave a great show and lived an incredible life - In addition to some of the most sublime blues music ever recorded, how can you argue with an elderly obese former sharecropper who seduced loads of women by taking them flying in his 2 seater plane?

von Boom

That's terrible news about B.B. King. He was a legendary musician. RIP.

Zarjazzer

BB kIng deserves a place amongst musics immortals. The thrill is gone. :'(
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

shaolin_monkey

Such a shame about BB King, but a good innings, and an incredible legacy.

I want to treat you all to this live recording, my favourite of his, from the Newport Centre in New York, I believe 1965 (could be wrong).

It's from an amazing live album called The Blues: A Real Summit Meeting - originally very rare, hard to find vinyl, but now thankfully available on iTunes.  All the blues greats of their time perform in one incredible concert.

BB King is last on the album, with this epic number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyOaCWoF3Dg

Jacqusie

The King is dead, long live the King.

Legend doesn't really start to describe what this man was. A huge inspiration to me, taught me how to feel the blues, wringing out the touch & tone of each and every note. It's always sad when another bluesman is called back home, but his music will always endure. Fairwell Riley.B. King, enjoy the great gig in the sky...

Good to see the posts for the big man & cheers for the link shaolin monkey...

This is also classed as one of his best concerts. Live in Africa 1974. Man he was on fire...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQQ_vl47CGc

It's actually 'Outside Help' but no matter, its fabulous...

Richmond Clements

Never got to see BB live, but I did get rip roaring drunk in his club in Memphis. That'll have to do...

Ghost MacRoth

Peter Chapman.  Likely none of you would know the name, he was a DOP in film and TV, you'll all have seen his work at some point I expect (Lovejoy, Dr Who, Blakes 7, Dad's Army, Dixon of Dock Green, and so many more), but like all GOOD DOP's, he was the kind of professional filmmaker who just blended into the background mix of the shows he worked on, letting the work speak for itself.  I don't tend to get that upset when folk I know die...it's just a fact of life.  However, on this occasion, I am deeply saddened by the loss of this lovely crazy old bugger.   At least he went i a fashion befitting his character (70+ year old man doing tree surgery for shits and giggles) rather than wasting away with illness in a hospital bed.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 15 May, 2015, 12:13:05 PM
BB kIng deserves a place amongst musics immortals. The thrill is gone. :'(

Never new him by his wrok, only by name, and about the last part of your post....

Not true, I'm still here

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 16 May, 2015, 04:17:10 PM
Peter Chapman.  Likely none of you would know the name, he was a DOP in film and TV, you'll all have seen his work at some point I expect (Lovejoy, Dr Who, Blakes 7, Dad's Army, Dixon of Dock Green, and so many more), but like all GOOD DOP's, he was the kind of professional filmmaker who just blended into the background mix of the shows he worked on, letting the work speak for itself.  I don't tend to get that upset when folk I know die...it's just a fact of life.  However, on this occasion, I am deeply saddened by the loss of this lovely crazy old bugger.   At least he went i a fashion befitting his character (70+ year old man doing tree surgery for shits and giggles) rather than wasting away with illness in a hospital bed.

I shall watch a Blakes 7 episode tonight in memory of Peter. What a CV of talent he had.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Ghost MacRoth

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

rogue69

Actor Terry Sue-Patt has passed away at the age of 50.

He was best known for his role as Benny Green on British TV drama series Grange Hill, According to reports, he was found dead on Friday at his home in London, but the cause of his death has not yet been confirmed.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Oh God that's terrible of bad news. The old nostalgia is kicking in a bit. I always remember watching Grange Hill and that episode where Benny and Tucker have to infiltrate a rival school to get one of their blazers back is one of the best things I ever saw on children's telly. Sorry to hear he's gone and sympathies to his family and friends. Wow Downer Saturday. :'(
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Jim_Campbell

Ramsey Campbell has tweeted that mainly-fantasy author Tanith Lee has died. Wikipedia seems to confirm. No other info.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.