Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

Julian Bond, a leader of the 1960's civil rights movement and former chairman of the National Association for the Advancement of Coloured People (NAACP), died on Saturday night. He was 75.

Big_Dave

Yvonne Craig 1937-2015

The dark-haired beauty, a native of Taylorville, Ill., began her theatrical career at age 17 as the youngest member of The Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo. She traveled the U.S. and was with the troupe for three years when she was discovered by director John Ford's son Patrick and cast for the lead in the movie The Young Land (1959).

She then starred opposite Elvis Presley in the films It Happened at the World's Fair (1963) and Kissin' Cousins (1964). The two dated for a spell.

Her film résumé also included The Gene Krupa Story (1959), John Sturges' By Love Possessed (1961), 7 Women From Hell (1961) — with future Joker villain Cesar Romero — Ski Party (1965) and Mars Needs Women (1967).

On television, she appeared on The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Fantasy Island, The Six Million Dollar Man, Kojak, Land of the Giants, Mod Squad, The Wild Wild West, Emergency! and many other shows.

IAMTHESYSTEM

As The Kinks sang a little bit of my childhood just died. Sorry to hear she's gone.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Big_Dave

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 19 August, 2015, 03:08:12 PM
As The Kinks sang a little bit of my childhood just died. Sorry to hear she's gone.

Forget to mention she was one of Kirks green girls in Star Trek https://youtu.be/1H2QvmWLT4s

COMMANDO FORCES

Wes Craven has passed away aged 76.

Mattofthespurs

Goaty

Something Fishy

That's a shame. he scared up my teen years brilliantly. RIP.

Third Estate Ned

Oliver Sacks, the author and neurologist, has died aged 82.

If you haven't read anything by him I recommend The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat or An Anthropologist on Mars. My wife has a series of books by him and even if you skim the detailed sections on drug trials and dosage, reading the cases never seems like voyeurism due to the compassion in his writing. Most striking for me was The Case of the Colorblind Painter, who was disgusted by his condition but with Sacks' help was able to live with his condition and continue painting.

A notable life.

rogue69

Proudhuff

Quote from: rogue69 on 05 September, 2015, 05:15:28 PM
Rico Rodriguez : The Specials' trombonist dies aged 80

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34162351?post_id=912487905460053_965884883453688#_=_

yeah those of us of a certain age and Mod persuasion lifted a glass to him over the weekend, Saw him a couple of years ago at a Ska weekend in London, lovely man.
DDT did a job on me

Heath C Ackley

I am of that certain age and mod persuasion but I'll remember Rico more for his appearances with Jools Holland especially his solos on Hootenanny.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Spikes

TordelBack

Aye, have always loved the Specials, but Rico on Jools Holland is my abiding memory. What a talent.

Zarjazzer

Indeed a sad loss for music fans. R.I.P Mr Rodriguez.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.