Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

Never an Eagles fan in any sense, but bad month for 70's Rock icons. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 19 January, 2016, 11:51:38 AMAll this dying-in-your-sixties stuff going on lately is fairly depressing.  Aren't people supposed to be living longer these days?  I won't even get my pension till I'm 69  :(
Really?  Which country are you in?  The current state pension age in the UK is between 60 and 67, depending upon gender and when you were born (though you can claim private or occupational pensions from 55 onwards).

JayzusB.Christ

Nah, this is a private pension from the Bank of Ireland... the problem was I started it too late in life.  The state pension I can get before that.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Something Fishy on 18 January, 2016, 11:16:57 PM
Glen Frey of the Eagles has now passed away aged 67.

I loved his chilled voice on several of their brilliant songs.

RIP.

Would you believe I only started taking notice of this guy when the original Miami-Vice series debuted on television back in 84.

I distinctly remember two songs he did for that....

The Heat is On

Smugglers Blues

Found out he was lead singer of the Eagles at roughly the same time through excessive exposure to radio.

I do have one of best of compilations on cassette tape. Use to listen to them a lot while driving. They have some great songs and I not sure they were still playing up to the day he died. They were supposed to have broken from 1980 onwards and I think those songs from M.V. were the only significant work he got since then. After that I'm not sure.

Sad to hear of his passing....

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 21 January, 2016, 07:48:06 AM
Nah, this is a private pension from the Bank of Ireland... the problem was I started it too late in life.  The state pension I can get before that.

Well, not much earlier - 66. And who knows what it'll be in 20 years time.

Big_Dave

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 21 January, 2016, 07:19:54 PM

RIP.

Would you believe I only started taking notice of this guy when the original Miami-Vice series debuted on television back in 84.

The Heat is On

Smugglers Blues

heat is on was from beverly hills cop  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU8L0-RkDYU

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Big_Dave on 21 January, 2016, 07:52:59 PM
Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 21 January, 2016, 07:19:54 PM

RIP.

The Heat is On

Smugglers Blues

heat is on was from beverly hills cop  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU8L0-RkDYU

Oh really...but I pretty sure that movie was put out at the same time, did they ever play the song for M.V. at all?

I might be confused because my excessive radio usage in those years. Because it's that much more deceptive as I'm only listening.

Do my ears deceive me when the disc-jockey is talking?

However I saw this yesterday as well...

Animal the Drummer Dies at 66 due to Threadbaring syndrome

You may all think this is disrespectful of me because he's not like that others (Old Sesame-Street reference there!) , but now that it's been put out there, they can't bring him back.

Old puppets die-hard.

Something Fishy

Colin Vearncome of Black, most famous for Wonderful Life has died aged just 53 following a recent car crash.

Wonderful life was one of those sad song that always cheered me up, helped me realise I wasn't alone when feeling like that.

Very sad RIP.

Something Fishy

Spikes

Actor Abe Vigoda, best known for playing Sal Tessio in the Godfather, has died aged 94.
He's another whom I would have said died years ago.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Something Fishy on 26 January, 2016, 07:55:26 PM
Colin Vearncome of Black, most famous for Wonderful Life has died aged just 53 following a recent car crash.

Wonderful life was one of those sad song that always cheered me up, helped me realise I wasn't alone when feeling like that.

Very sad RIP.

Remembered.......and one of those film clips that was shot entirely in black n white, like so many other afterwards as this trendy. Perhaps not the first to do it in that time, but that's how I recall it. I always found the mood of this song in a leage of it's own without out being out right depressing, just more realistic than the sugar-coated stuff that seemed more popular.

otherwise, I didn't bother paying the artist much attention. Wasn't even sure they were still performing. Sorry to here of their passing all the same.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Something Fishy on 26 January, 2016, 07:55:26 PM

Very sad RIP.

I've always liked that song a lot; but had somehow never thought to check who sang it and hadn't heard of Colin Vearncombe or Black before you posted that. (Sorry to be an insufferable pedant but it seems Black was his stage name, rather than his band.)

A quick trawl through the internet led me to discover he was doing some really good blues stuff only a few years ago. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXwgtiEbnps

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

I, Cosh

Paul Kantner, from out of Jefferson Airplane.

Here's Sunrise, because feedback has always been awesome.
We never really die.

richerthanyou

Quote from: The Cosh on 29 January, 2016, 09:05:28 AM
Paul Kantner, from out of Jefferson Airplane.

Here's Sunrise, because feedback has always been awesome.

Time to break out the bong. Rest in peace Paul. Thanks for all the great trips
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

sheridan