Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Quote from: GordonR on 09 February, 2016, 05:10:14 PM
Artist Wayne England, who did a huge amount of work for Games Workshop and, after that, companies like Wizards of the Coast.  His work surely defined a lot of the look of the Warhammer universes, and - even though I don't think he ever did comics - there must be comic artists out there today influenced by his work.

I didn't know his name but he's surely contributed to my collection of minis over the years. RIP.

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Zarjazzer

Truly sad loss. Pathfinder RPG he made the entire "look" of that game. R.I.P Wayne England.  :'(
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Something Fishy

Very sad, myself and son have no doubt enjoyed his work over the years.

GordonR

He lived in Barnsley and was apparently good mates with some of the cluster of comic artists who live round there.  Including Dean Ormston, who was at art college with him.

Judging by the number of messages I'm seeing from comics and games pros, he was an extremely well-liked guy whose work inspired a lot of people.

James Dilworth

What I love most about Wayne England's work was the way he pushed characters and compositions to almost abstract levels and yet they still retained a genuine solidity and weight.

He was a truly unique talent.

sheridan

GordonR

Just announced tonight that artist Tony Luke, formerly of this parish, died this afternoon, after a long, long battle against cancer.

Tony and I had been talking over the last year or so about doing something together, and, for a while last year, it looked like Tony had finally beaten the disease that had plagued him for so long.  Then it came back, and his condition worsened severely over Christmas, and, not long after New Year, he finally knew his time was up, having beaten the odds time and time again in the past.  (I believe he was given a few months to live about 12 years ago.)

Tony leaves many friends in the UK comics industry and beyond - he was the first British artist to do work for a manga publisher in Japan - and we'll all miss him.

Bat King

Sorry to hear this and commiserations on your personal loss here Gordon. I loved his work on Young Midden face with Alan Grant.

I don't think I ever read any of his work outside 2000AD or the Megazine. But I do know about Disney's appropriation of his work.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Mikey

Really sad to hear about Tony Luke, always enjoyed seeing his work. Was it Tony who did the stop motion Blitzspear video as a project at art college?
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Hawkmumbler

Andrezj Zulawski, director of the truly bizzare Possession. A cracking and under rated visionary.

RIP

Steve Green

Quote from: Mikey on 18 February, 2016, 09:52:59 AM
Really sad to hear about Tony Luke, always enjoyed seeing his work. Was it Tony who did the stop motion Blitzspear video as a project at art college?

Yep - Liam Sharp posted a vid on facebook of a young Tony talking about stop motion to Michael Bentine on a programme called Madabout, and he was demonstrating a puppet he'd made of Nemesis.

Will post it when I get home.

RIP Tony.

Something Fishy

Very sorry to hear this.  RIP.

ZenArcade

Respects to a departed creator: Tony Luke RIP. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

von Boom

Very sad news. RIP Tony Luke.