Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

There can't be many Fifth Beatles left now....

RIP, Mr Martin.

ThryllSeekyr

John English just died some time this morning, I think. Due to complications from surgery, he was only 66. He's a well local musician where I am. Yet, at a rough guess, not from Brisbane or even from Queensland. Quite possibly either a Victorian or New South Welshman. The latter most likely. Very tall, haunted eyes!

The very early song that I can remember him singing is....

Which I think was tied in with Against the wind a very old 70ish television series in which he starred & was about colonial settlers in Australia.  I vividly recall singing this with the rest of my home room  in either year 4 or 5. A bloody long time ago and that's not something we did out of habit. Although this was a break from the usual  maths, English and social studies we did back then. He was in this saucy sitcom called Number 96. Famed for it's partial nudity & page three pin up girls. I once fancied Mega-City version, but set in a entire apartment block and you may find that post/comment of mine somewhere around here. He was in a less serious more comedy inspired sitcom called All Together Now  during the 90's and was also in a stage show...the famous Pirates of Penzance (The Pirate King, no doubt!) Which never saw. I only ever seen the send up film with that young blonde haired fellow from The Blue Lagoon with Brooke Shields. (Which was kind of dumb!) and I don't much of his work otherwise.

yet, I went to a concert of his with some friends while he toured Twin-Towns-Tweed-Heads on the Gold Coast. It's bit of song, bit of dance and then he drops his pants in front of everybody right towards the end while his back was turned. He did have a young lady (Another performer, not one from the audience!) up on stage who did the same. Kind of like a limited version of what happened at the end of the stage production of Hair when the entire cast remove all their clothing while singing. I went to that concert roughly. Another 90's event if anybody recalls when Hair was touring back then. I wouldn't be surprised if John English was one of the original cast members for earlier version of that I found a flyer and program that belonged to my parents. I know Marcia Hines was in that.

It's shame he's gone now. It seems like he had more to do around here.

rogue69

Prog-Rock Legend Keith Emerson aged 71

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: rogue69 on 11 March, 2016, 11:48:02 PM
Prog-Rock Legend Keith Emerson aged 71

Very sad - it sounds like suicide. I think I'll break out Pictures At An Exhibition tonight, one of ELPs best live albums.

Daveycandlish

Sylvia Anderson, ex-wife of Gerry and voice of Lady Penelope in Thunderbirds, at 88
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Albion

"Farewell, M'Lady".

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Goaty

Paul Daniels and Frank Sinatra, Jr.

:(

Hawkmumbler

Good freakin' lord it hasn't been a good year for my childhood icons.

RIP Sylvia Anderson

IAMTHESYSTEM

Frank Sinatra Jnr, Paul Daniels, Sylvia Anderson. The postwar generation meet time the leveller and that's why we've had such a dire list of star deaths. The people we saw on TV when we were nippers are getting old and checking out. The baby boomers are still fairly numerous so we'll all be reading the obituaries more than we like in the years to come. RIP Boomers, you changed the world but perhaps not as much as you thought you could. I'm feeling a bit miserable now.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Something Fishy

Late 80's really does seem to be the limit for the vast majority.

Lots and lots of them going now, the established stars of our youth.

JamesC

I think it's a real shame about Paul Daniels.
It's been unfashionable to like him since the 90s but I used to love his TV shows and think he was a great magician. He's the yardstick by which I measure any other magician or performer of that ilk.
A bloke who was properly good at his job.

Ghost MacRoth

Paul Daniels....essential 80's viewing.  Annoying?  Maybe.  Entertaining? Undoubtedly.

And now another Star Wars original shuffles off too...'Red leader' Drewe Henley.  :(
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Bat King

I used to know a Magician who attended classes run by Paul Daniels as a member of the Magic Circle.

My acquaintance told me that what we knew was pure public persona. What was in the profession was a genuine helpful man. Of course what was in private may have been different again.

Pretty sure my old acquaintance will be pretty sad today. We lost touch about 14 years ago...
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Tombo

My family has a couple of (fairly loose) connections to Paul Daniels.  His father threw my father out of the local cinema on a couple of occasions*, and back in the 80's my older brother worked as a roadie for Daniels' son Martin for a while.  Sad week for entertainment all round.

*Dad swears he was innocent and that it was other people causing trouble, throwing sweets at the screen, and than Mr Daniels Senior was just heavy handed.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 17 March, 2016, 02:47:56 PM
Paul Daniels....essential 80's viewing.  Annoying?  Maybe.  Entertaining? Undoubtedly.

I was an aspiring magician as a kid (if only I'd stuck at it, rather than being negatively influenced by begrudging 'friends'!) and never missed an episode of his show.  I loved it and I'm sorry to see Paul go.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"