Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunk!

Wanted to put Darwyn Cooke R.I.P. on this thread as it's the place for it and I, for one, will feel his loss to the comic world.
So glad I fought through the black apathy that hounded me at the time to attend the Lakes International Comic Art Fest in Oct last year, where I got to shake his hand and, in a trademarked star struck mumble, thank him for all his work and the influence it has on my meagre output. Can't get my head around the idea that I won't get another series from this great artist.

Cheers for everything, Mr Cooke.

That stated, truly sorry for your loss Dave, horrendous circumstances.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

paddykafka

My condolences, Dave.

JayzusB.Christ

Sorry for your loss, Dave.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Grugz

sorry for your loss dave,never mind sharky's suggestion of him getting a pint in,if he comes across an old fella called roland Watson (my granddad) he's bound to have either set up a still up there!
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

von Boom

Dave, that's just so awful. Condolences on your loss.

Dandontdare

that sucks Dave, condolences to you and your mate's family.

DaveGYNWA

Thanks all - still stunned by it, met another member of us "older lot" on the train this morning and just had a good chat about it all and a good cry...helped a lot. As everything is now more public, his band have made available a recording of their last gig with Chris - worth a watch:

https://www.facebook.com/131347206687/photos/a.386701151687.172970.131347206687/10153427000186688/?type=3

Was due to go see them again in a few weeks, as they were due to support Blaze Bayley in Winchester (he loves them, they've supported him twice before) and chose not to go to this one as a result of that. Wish I'd gone now.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Misanthrope

John Berry, founding member of The Beastie Boys, aged 52.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

rogue69

actor Alan Young, who voiced "Mister Ed" & Scrooge McDuck he also co-starred in the classic sci-fi film "The Time Machine," has died at age 96,

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: rogue69 on 21 May, 2016, 09:11:36 AM
actor Alan Young, who voiced "Mister Ed" & Scrooge McDuck he also co-starred in the classic sci-fi film "The Time Machine," has died at age 96,

He was the 'voice' of Keyop in Battle of the Planets apparently! Sorry to hear he's left us his poignant part in the 'The Time Machine' as George's friend David Filby doomed to die in WW1, then as his son James fighting in WW2 added an emotional connection through time for Rod Taylor's character.   
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

CrazyFoxMachine

A shocker, this.

Nick Menza drummer with Megadeth on Rust in Peace, Countdown and Youthanasia. Rust in Peace particularly was one of the albums of my teens (in the 00s - it was an odd time :S )

He died drumming on stage at the legendary Baked Potato jazz club in Los Angeles.

Daveycandlish

Just heard Stephen Prestwood has died.

I've known Stephen for years. He was a regular contributor to my PARAGON comic from a very early issue and an everpresent since issue 4, taking over on Battle Ganesh from me as artist and going on to illustrate the complete Icarus Dangerous saga and then switching to return to his stint as Bulldog artist - a character he had drawn decades earlier in Bulldog's own comic, BAM!
He also contributed regularly to other small press comics including Zarjaz and VIOLENT so I'm sure you'll know his work.

I feel quite tearful at this shocking turn of events
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Spikes

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 21 May, 2016, 09:23:59 AM
Quote from: rogue69 on 21 May, 2016, 09:11:36 AM

He was the 'voice' of Keyop in Battle of the Planets apparently! Sorry to hear he's left us his poignant part in the 'The Time Machine' as George's friend David Filby doomed to die in WW1, then as his son James fighting in WW2 added an emotional connection through time for Rod Taylor's character.

Ah, no. :-(
The Time Machine is one of my absolute favourites - he also had a cameo in the remake , so sad to hear of Alan's passing. But 96 is a very good innings.

Fun fact - his real name was Angus Young...   

flip-r mk2

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 22 May, 2016, 06:22:20 PM

I've known Stephen for years. He was a regular contributor to my PARAGON comic from a very early issue and an everpresent since issue 4, taking over on Battle Ganesh from me as artist and going on to illustrate the complete Icarus Dangerous saga and then switching to return to his stint as Bulldog artist - a character he had drawn decades earlier in Bulldog's own comic, BAM!
He also contributed regularly to other small press comics including Zarjaz and VIOLENT so I'm sure you'll know his work.

I feel quite tearful at this shocking turn of events

Life can be so fucking shite sometimes.
R.I.P Mr Prestwood.

filippo
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Greg M.

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 22 May, 2016, 06:22:20 PM

Awful news, Davey. I had seen that Stephen was very ill, but had hoped he could somehow make a recovery, however unrealistic that hope might have been. He was very talented and a lovely bloke - his art was a genuine inspiration to me, and I am glad we got to work on a story together for PARAGON. It probably seems weird, but I always think of him in connection with the movie Battle Beyond the Stars, after we had both enthused about it on his small-press comics forum. A dreadful loss. R.I.P. Stephen.