Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

Awful news and unexpected. Very sorry to hear about the passing of your good friend.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

The Legendary Shark

Thank you all for your kind words, a great comfort.

I can't think of Bill without smiling, so I'll share the celery rustling anecdote with you, if you'll indulge me.

I was about 19 and Bill would be about 23 at the time.

I was driving my new second-hand car across Tarleton Moss in the silly early morning hours when the back wheel fell off, much to my consternation. My spare was flat and I couldn't find the errant wheel and so I walked a couple of miles to a 'phone box and rang Bill, who turned out to help me. I had a fairly powerful torch but Bill had one that could bring helicopters down and so we set about looking for the wheel, retracing my route and gaguing where it should be from the divot in the tarmac. It took us ages to find it, it had rolled into a celery field, leaving a spiral crop circle in its wake, which we followed until we found the wheel. We then followed the spiral back out again, for no other reason than it seemed the thing to do.

We returned to my stricken car and wondered how to reattach it as all the wheel bolts had disappeared as well, pinging off into the darkened grass and ditches. We elected to steal one bolt from each of the remaining three wheels and, as we were about our task, a blue flashing light appeared in an angry display and two coppers leaped out.

One of them cried "Bloody gotcha!"

We both looked blankly at the coppers as they looked in our cars. Finding nothing, they demanded, "Okay, where is it?"

"Where's what?"

"The celery you've been pinching."

"We haven't been pinching celery," I said, "my back wheel fell off and we've been looking for it in the celery field."

The coppers humphed, obviously the victims of a duff report from a farmer, and one of them said, "well, I suppose it's a good job it wasn't a front one."

Bill humphed back. "If it had been a front one," he said, "this daft bugger would be getting a ride home in an ambulance and I'd still be all snug and warm and asleep in my bed instead of fucking about out here in the freezing bloody cold at three o' clock in the morning."

The repair job then paused as neither of us could do anything for laughing and, at some point during the hilarity, the coppers got back in their car and huffed off.

There was a Kenny Rogers song in the charts at the time, "Lucielle," and, of course, Bill couldn't resist. The next time I came into work he led the rest of the lads in a rousing rendition of, "You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel; three on me Lada and one in a field..."

Ah, Bill - I'm going to miss the Hell out of you but I'll never stop laughing at the fun we had and I'll always feel privileged to have known you. Keep a cloud warm for me, okay?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Good story. Sorry to hear of your loss... good friends are hard to come by, and their untimely departures hit hard.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Proudhuff

keep the good thoughts at the top o the pile sharkie, its the only way... 
DDT did a job on me

sheridan

Thanks for sharing the story!

Dandontdare

My condolences Sharky - he sounds like a real character.

paddykafka

That's a great anecdote, Sharky. Condolences on your loss.

Old Tankie

Sorry for your loss, Sharky.

von Boom

Losing good friends is hard Sharky. Condolences.

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, everyone - I love you all.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Eric Plumrose

Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Jim_Campbell

Spikes

Bill Nunn, actor - most famous for playing Radio Raheem in Spike Lee's glorious Do the right thing.

RIP, Mr Nunn.

Colin MacNeil

My precious little pup, Jana.
24/12/02 - 26/09/16

She came in to my life and made a basket of my heart.

My Master is the Shepherd

My master is the shepherd
I follow at his heels
Looking for the lost ones
We stroll among the hills

I gather in his flock
Hearing his commandments
Together we will walk

I wait upon his upon his word
Telling me the secrets
Of legends never heard

I love him through and through
His kind and gentle ways
Forever will be true

Through seasons we will go
From lambing springs and summers
To winter's howling blow

When I am done and old
I'll come to him a running
Upon the hills of gold

Jim_Campbell

Aww, man... fourteen years is a long time to make a place in your heart. That's so sad, Colin.

(I hate this thread.)