Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Tjm86 on 08 February, 2017, 05:11:10 AM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 07 February, 2017, 10:46:06 PM

Richard Hatch of Battlestar Galactica - both old and new.

Just seen this on CBR too.  Currently rewatching the original series.  A quality slice of nostalgia.

Very sad news, Apollo and Starbuck were two of my heroes as a kid and I was so happy when he appeared in the reboot in such a great role. I think he was quite instrumental in that even happening actually, he was apparently tirelessly campaigning for a reboot for years before it happened. Sad news indeed.

Steve Green

IAMTHESYSTEM

Alan Simpson of Steptoe and Son fame dies according to the Beeb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38906672
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JamesC

Tara Palmer-Tomkinson has been found dead.
She was always a figure of fun in the media and obviously had her problems with drugs and alcohol. Apparently she'd been diagnosed with a brain tumour.
All a bit tragic really.

Mardroid

Yes. She was only 45, apparently.

Daveycandlish

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 08 February, 2017, 02:42:15 PM
Alan Simpson of Steptoe and Son fame dies according to the Beeb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38906672

Legend. I love Hancock and Steptoe  :(
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

TordelBack

The Legendary Shark

Love listening to Hhhhhancock's Half Hour on BBC Radio 4 Extra, still funny. Steptoe & Son too. Both funny but in completely different ways - S&S is full of pathos and drama as well as humour - the desperation of the two characters, one to escape and the other to stay put, is as tragic as it is funny. Genius writing scribes of today just can't match.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Heath C Ackley

Galton and Simpson - two of the very best comedy writers ever.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

auxlen

I believe Steptoe was considered the first Sitcom....IIRC.

Hawkmumbler

Jiro Taniguchi, author of A Distant Neighbourhood, The Summit of the Gods and A Zoo in Winter amongst many others. The only mangaka to receive a french knighthood.

RIP

CrazyFoxMachine

I'm an avid Radio 4 listener BECAUSE I HAVE THE BRAIN AN OLD MAN and I was saddened to learn this evening of the death of Steve Hewlett whose weekly discussions of his struggles to get his terminal esophageal cancer treated had been featured on the frequently astounding PM with Eddie Mair. It's rather alarming and inspiring to have heard a man so candidly speak of his potential death, having his sons on to speak about it, the prospect of a final Christmas etc etc...

Mair frequently read letters allowed from listeners who gained a new understanding cancer treatment and attitudes from the extensive coverage - who'd gained new ways of relating to their own fathers or friends suffering through it. Hewlett would tear up at these quite frequently - clearly never believing he was doing much more than speaking about his own struggles. I'll certainly never forget him, and I never even knew him.

Frank

Hewlett was the model of what the BBC should be; scrupulously balanced, well informed, and able to communicate complex issues in a way that made them comprehensible and interesting to a general audience. He'll be greatly missed.

TordelBack

I don't think I've ever listened to better radio than the Mair/Hewlett chats over these past months. It has been compelling, moving and incredibly informtive and the acme of what public service broadcasting can be. Here's to you Steve, I know I'll never forget you or what I've learnt about death and life listening to you.

Tjm86

It is impossible to convey the true impact of what this man did.  As a journalist he took his responsibility to the utmost and took what is probably our most challenging taboo (death) to its limits.  It was profoundly humbling to listen to this man explore what it meant to him as a person and to those closest to him as he dealt with his impending death.  The courage with which he faced it, focusing on what it meant, makes his passing so much more powerful and effective.  How do we live our lives in the face of this?