Main Menu

My comics are eating my home

Started by Trout, 04 July, 2002, 07:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcrab

I'm drooling already! :o)

I was thinking of doing that sort of thing on my boxes. Still got to check what the first/last one in each box is though. Then it's time to rake through the prog covers here to print them out.

Boarding each one is pretty excessive I think. Apart from space, it'd be ridiculously expensive like you say.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Ol^ Marbles

OK I've refined my idea.
Apart from safe storage, the main thing a box must do is allow easy retrieval of the correct prog at a moments notice.
So Rebellion could make :-
(a) Dividers (with appropriate art) covering say every 25 progs - they could have prog info on them to facilitate finding that story you are looking for. Would fit into most peoples collections.
(b) Prog Info stickers (as with the dividers) for again say 25 Progs. These can be slapped on the side of whatever Thril Containment Vessel you are currently using and would again aid quick retrieval, as well as looking good if the ywere done well.
Just a thought.

JTurner

I agree about the dividers and headers, I hate having to go through prog after prog if I'm looking for something specific.

roystead

I use cardboard magazine boxes from Ikea - you get five for a pound and each holds 30-50 progs (30 of the old size, 50 of the new ones).

The same boxes hold all sizes of prog and Megazines and specials, and the complete run pretty much fills 2 Ikea bookcases in the bedroom.

The bookcases were forty quid each, and the complete run of progs fills one bookcase (32 magazine boxes).

On the other bookcase, The Megazines fill one shelf; the specials, Starlord, Crisis, Revolver, Scream, etc, fill another shelf; reprints (Best Of Monthlies, Complete Judge Dredd, Classic 2000AD) fill a third and the annuals (unboxed) pretty much fill the fourth shelf.

The magazine boxes have the comic name and issues scrawled on them with a marker pen, so I can find them.

Oh, and they look pretty good, too.

Roy

PS/ I'm now only two years behind the rest of you in my reading - hard to believe I've read 23 years of 2000AD, Starlord, Megazines, specials, annuals, etc, since November, but there you go.

Of the stuff that's current at the moment (for me), the second series of Mercy Heights just finished (it was crap), Balls Brothers series two was quite fun, Dredd: Doomsday Scenario is what I'm in the middle of right now, and I'm enjoying that a lot. Though it's a pain having to remember to swap back and forth between the weekly and the monthly every few issues.

roystead

Oh - that should be 40 old-size progs and 50 new size per magazine box. The only ones which old have 30 in them are the very early progs, because progs 3-10 and the banned progs (71,72,77,78) are bagged and boarded, which takes up more space.

None of the other comics are bagged (though I might pop 1208 in a bag after I've read it, I doubt I'll bother)

Roy

paulvonscott

Better than a box file would be one of those A4 plastic shelf tidys, that way you probably have the easiest access to your progs.  

That's what I've started putting a few of mine into (these are whsmiths ones and quite solid and sturdy).  Easier to get at than box files.  I don't know if you can get them with some sort of hinged lid.  Anyway, I'd buy some of those.

Anything that invlolves a box makes it less likely I'll actually read the progs again.  My poor 520 ones are bagged and boxed (it was a phase I went through) and I've never read them since)

I was originally going to buy some files, but I really don't like the look of the current ones.  Rather a hip and trendy design from the nineties.  Yuk.  I have one of the first files produced, it's okay, but I'm not convinced I can get my progs back out and it doesn't hold many.

Anyway I'll hold off buying anymore shelf tidies until I see what you come up with :) , if it looks cool and is reasonably priced, I'd rather buy something with a logo on it.

Trout

Well, thanks everyone for the suggestions.

My 2K-format comics are the ones I need to find boxeds for, in case I need to move house in the near future.

The Ikea solution sounds practical and affordable and I'll probably look into that next chance I get.

However, I would consider something practical and cool if Rebellion were offering it at a reasonable price.

Cheers,

Trout

Ol^ Marbles

Yeh I've got my small but growing collection of 2k's (only came back into the fold at 1201 I'm ashamed to say) in 'Muji' transparent plastic shelf tidiers as well. They are really nice looking and sturdy but the sods stopped making them the moment thay became my thrill containment vessel of choice. Bastardos. (I've also sellotaped some pics of Dredd on the front from promo cards etc).
But I was thinking longer term I'm not sure I can give up the shelf space to back progs as the collection grows and will have to box 'em.

Aaron Smurf Murphy

Right now I've got all my comics an a long shelf but i'm about to run out space. Nows the time to sort things out...

Finnigan Sinister  

Oddboy

I moved recently and shifting 3 boxes with 400 progs in each was serious hard work.  I'm going to be moving again at the end of the summer & having something more manageable would be great.

It needs to be small enough to carry without breaking yourself.  However, if they're too small (1year boxes for example) then I'll end up with too many boxes, which will involve countless trips up & down stairs.

The dividers are good thinking, but these should cover 52 progs (by year).
Better set your phaser to stun.

Mudcrab

Yep, I like the sound of the dividers, although an official story index would be good. Should be easy enough to produce with the database on here. Could be sold through the shop and updated every year or something? I've got one that covers 1-1000 and it's invaluable when you're looking for a story, especially a single episode Dredd. Plus you usually come across things you'd forgotten existed, like the odd classic future shock.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

W. R. Logan

Here's a list of some of the storage stuff that ACE omics have on offer, they have stuff for american comics but I'll just list the 2000AD relevant comic supplies.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Ace Comics
COMIC SUPPLIES

MAGAZINE POLY BAGS (X100)
will fit old UK Marvel comics, Dr Who monthly, Starlog etc.
Price: ?2.95

2000AD POLY BAGS (X100)
will fit oversized magazines, graphic novels.
Price: ?3.25

MAGAZINE BACKERS (X50)
Price: ?7.95

WHITE PLASTIC DIVIDERS 20MM LIP (X10)
Helps to separate your collection & still leaves room for comic box lids.
Price: ?7.25

DELUXE MAGAZINE BOXES (X3)
Postage included.
Price: ?18.00

DELUXE MAGAZINE BOXES (PER EXTRA BOX)
Price: ?4.95

Link: http://www.acecomics.net/" target="_blank">ACE Comics

http://www.acecomics.net/splashcentre.gif">

stodge

do the new sized progs still class as oversized comics in comparison to the older pre 520 progs?  does everyone use a standard bag for all their progs or do they have different sized bags for different era's of 2K.  i really like the idea of the boxes and dividers.  i would invest in some of those.

roystead

I just checked and the Ikea bookcases we're using are called Billy", apparently, if you need to look 'em up.

The "boxes" I mentioned aren't things with lids, by the way, just cardboard magazine files.

HTH

Roy

Oddboy

I think I've found a solution!
At work we were archiving a load of last years files the other week using them brown stiff paper storage archive boxes...
They're just the right size to hold a years worth of progs & they come in boxes of 25.

Not too pretty, granted - but you can always print out pictures from this site to stick to them...

Link: Where you can get them from...?8.99

http://paperpunch.opnet.co.uk/3-Tier/Images/252/297323.jpg">
Better set your phaser to stun.