Main Menu

2022 Sci-Fi Special

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 15 July, 2022, 12:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

Yeah, properly good, this Special.
The Dredd, SinDex and Fiends all SO good, in fact, that the other strips were a bit disappointing, despite being perfectly good in themselves.

Not quite sure how much actual inspiration was taken from the songs themselves (haven't even heard of about half of them), but I would say 'the Joker' was the only one where I could tell the lyrics were having a literal impact on the story and it was maybe a bit much, but forgivable for the goofy fun of it.

I'm all for Tharg adding gimmickry to the Specials. So far they've been the most memorable - the 'red' theme for the 40th Anniversary, the 'creator swap' ones from the mid-90s, and the horror-themed Winter Specials.

Funt Solo

"Thrills to the speed of 45 rpm"?

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

AlexF

I mean, Tharg knows his target demographic...

Colin YNWA

Finally got around to reading this on my holidays after picking it up in my LCS and want to echo the positive sentiments here. A blast of a special... well ever if I read it with the songs playing (known and unknown) and get distracted by thinking - in some cases - what you took the song that way, REALLY. Which is clearly an inherantly silly thing to do, but... well it was there. So I'll rate the storys as stories and use of their inspirations.

Dredd - did know the song but having hear it will reading (in exactly the time the song took to play interesting) it fitted wll. Was a blast and Stewart K Moore's art improved each time I see it and the storytelliing is fine here.

Sinister Dexter - lovely old skool thrill and neatly and simply used the songs title to play with. Which given its supposedly simple poetic nature isn't a bad thing and with lovely art this is super and best thing in a good comic.

Fiends of West Berlin plays nicely with the details of the song and with Warren Pleece art is a lovely little horror story with a fantastic ending.

Anderson don't much like Kate Bush but put this on and it washed over me... so kinda like th story which was fine but didn't have the impact I felt it might.

Middenface McNulty was a really fun story BUT this is the one that really threw due to its poor use of the song. I love me some Neil Young so WAY over thought how I'd have used it differently... didn't even make the concert reflect the concert in the video... grumble groan silly pointless moan... still did really like the story so got over it.

Judge Death now this one went the opposite way of Middenface and used the well known songs lyrics very literally, but in equally fun ways so I enjoyed the playfulness of this and it made good use of panto Death in the context. Also nice touch at the end.

So yeah great special and I kinda want them to use this theme on a regular basis it has such potential for fun!

sheridan

Quote from: AlexF on 28 July, 2022, 12:31:47 PM
I'm all for Tharg adding gimmickry to the Specials. So far they've been the most memorable - the 'red' theme for the 40th Anniversary, the 'creator swap' ones from the mid-90s, and the horror-themed Winter Specials.

Same here - especially as the format of specials and annuals have changed so that they look a little like an oversized prog (back in the seventies and eighties, the weekly was four-colour on bog paper while the specials had higher quality printing on the cover, at least).  So the ones you've mentioned, plus the Carlos special make them more distinct.

Next planned special, of course, has to be an Alan Grant themed special, like the Carlos one.

AlexF

Smokin' pot and stickin' it to the Man - the Alan Grant special! Looking forward to it already  :P