Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

Because some fucker has signed me up for some group on facebook lamenting the fact that a pub and a club in hastings have just closed, and because i mostly access fb on my phone, i cant leave the sodding group. Ive now got a facebook full of bleatings about how sad people are that they've gone. I've been in the pub twice in my life, and hated it both times, and the club ive not been in for twenty years, and even when i did go regularly, between 1985 and 1989, it was always shit. For fuckssakes!
SBT

Colin Zeal

I hate most of the groups people sign me up to on FB as well.
My minor impediment today is that I went out to catch up on the Invincible trades I haven't read yet, starting with volume 9. Went to Orbital and FP rather than order online as I was too impatient to wait. Guess which was the only volume both shops had sold out of?

Dandontdare

people can sign you up to groups without your consent? Jeez, that's crap.

Another reason why I'm glad I don't do FB.

House of Usher

Here's a minor impediment. I found myself agreeing with a Tory cost-cutting policy on education: namely that they want to reduce the number of secondary school teacher training places and scrap the maintenance bursary for everything but maths and science teaching*.

The reasons why I think this isn't anywhere near as evil as most Tory policies are:

1) there are already enough teachers for the time being
2) there are plenty of unemployed teachers because jobs are so scarce
3) by training up yet more teachers, we're denying jobs to people we've already spent money training who may never get their turn to teach
4) a lot of graduates go into teaching because they think they've got few career options, and for no better reason than that
5) most of the opponents of the cut are thinking in terms of students' employment prospects being harmed, but more training doesn't produce more jobs: it just keeps you busy and off the dole for another year
6) the taxpayer doesn't owe under-employed graduates a living
7) people tend to think, when things are good, that things were always the same; they forget that teachers had to pay for their own maintenance under the last Tory government anyway - it was only under Labour that they started funding teacher training properly again
8) there was no catastrophic shortage of teachers the last time the Tories kicked recruitment in the balls: a recruitment drive with incentives under Labour fixed the situation in time, just as the Tories are probably expecting will happen four years from now, unless the gaps are all plugged by the quarter of trainee teachers who graduated without jobs every year for the past several years.
9) lastly, when the Tories are cutting vital services left, right and centre, it doesn't make sense that they would lavish money on topping up the qualifications of graduates who had to borrow the costs of their undergraduate tuition in the first place!

* They're increasing primary school teacher training places at the same time.
STRIKE !!!

mogzilla

Quote from: Dandontdare on 01 February, 2011, 08:14:55 PM
people can sign you up to groups without your consent? Jeez, that's crap.

Another reason why I'm glad I don't do FB.

you also apparently never leave as i deleted my account yet still recieved emails and freind requests click on the link im still there! i emailed facebook and told them to remove me from their server,they didnt.

I, Cosh

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 01 February, 2011, 04:29:38 PM
because i mostly access fb on my phone, i cant leave the sodding group.
You should still be able to access the full version of the site via a link at the bottom of the page on the mobile version and do anything you need to.
We never really die.

Rog69

The battery is shagged on my laptop and where the power lead plugs in is a bit flaky.

I spent two hours this afternoon skilfully crafting a stunning work of fiction* entitled January 2011 Mileage Report, only to accidentally knock the laptop power lead out and lose the lot before I even had chance to save it.

*Although it was partly based on a true story.

Cyberleader2000

I'm anoyed as one of my favourite animas I have been watching for a year now has finished and now I've got to find something else's to watch on a weekly bases as the people I was downloading the series from aren't subbing the next one.
Pleases Vist My Blog

can you name the anime

House of Usher

Girls are better than anime. Anime is what you fall back on if you don't get the girl.
STRIKE !!!

SquashedFly

Quote from: Cyberleader2000 on 05 February, 2011, 11:48:33 PM
I'm anoyed as one of my favourite animas I have been watching for a year now has finished and now I've got to find something else's to watch on a weekly bases as the people I was downloading the series from aren't subbing the next one.

Look for visual guides on how to woo women while wearing a Gundam suit.

Mikey

Yesterday, I missed the Ireland match as I attended a self congratulatory wank fest, otherwise known as Lunch With The In-Laws.

M
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

House of Usher

Quote from: Mikey on 06 February, 2011, 10:22:09 AM
a self congratulatory wank fest, otherwise known as Lunch With The In-Laws.

Oh I do hope not. Especially at the table!
STRIKE !!!

vzzbux

My in-laws can be so up themselves as well, especially the mother in-law.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

TordelBack

My own in-laws drive me to distraction (not least because of the deeply hurtful favouritism they endlessly display to their darling son as opposed to my wife), but I have a dear friend whose in-law troubles make mine seem entirely non-existant.  

To hear what my friend's husband's family come out with, you would swear their son had married a feral baby-eating smack-head from a mutated tribe of war-criminals, not the highly intelligent, witty, hard-working woman who manages to also be a published author and loving mother of their two grandchildren.  I'd take her reports with the usual pinch of salt one applies to one-sided domestic accounts, except that she can present the proof of this insanity - her in-laws enjoy sending her long intervention-style e-mails bullet-pointed with invented grievances and ultimata for their redress.   It's painful to watch the effect it has on her husband and herself, and the kids that don't know why their 'other' grandparents never send them birthday cards or come to visit.  Families, I ask you.

House of Usher

My in-laws are great. I mean the mother and step-father.
STRIKE !!!