Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HdE

You know, just to bounce off the last half dozen posts, we've been getting an aaaawful lot of telesales calls lately.

I know they're bogus, because the caller asks for me by name, then says 'you recently completed a market research survey for us--' at which point I cut them dead and say (truthfully) 'No I didn't', before simply putting the 'phone down.

We had about three calls form the same people like that. After the last one, I expanded my response to 'No I didn't. Don't call us again.'

And ever since, it's been nice and quiet...
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

The Legendary Shark

"If you telephone me or my family again I will report you to the police under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997."
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SmallBlueThing

Since my guys are out, i just jumped into the shower at work, to save myself a bath tonight. Was wash wash, shave shave shave. However, just as i'd begun to shave my head (four days since last one, beginnings of a frasier crane), i remembered i didnt have any balm with me. Bugger. However, now im out and running a hand up my neck to my hairline, i appear to have accidentally given myself the beginnings of a david sourbutts. Shit!
SBT

Something Fishy

Prompted by a posting on here I decided to get my cholestorol tested, having been high ten years ago but done nothing due to being alergic to statins.

Glad i did, turns out my BP is too high, pre hyper-tension, apparently and my chol has risen far too much.  Gotta be seen by heart person now and be under the heart nurse at the docs to get proper medication for both BP and chol.  It's annoying. I'm not overweight, i have a reasonably good diet (but like a few treats i guess) and I keep fit and exercise pretty much every day in some way.  I guess none of it can entirely change things if you have a tendency to this.

Not good but then, better to sort it now than die in 10 years time, as a friend of mine sadly did.

Thanks for prompting me to do so Rog69.

Hoagy

Hrmph. Going to have a pleasant hangover this afternoon, when a blow a fuse at my mate over tobacco. I was after him all day the other week and he was avoiding me or had no time. He finally tells me he's got none. I feel cheap. I tell him its okay. I should really be dependent on him anyway. Slightly huffy but it was a way of getting over it. I needed a smoke at the time, see?

So he sends me a text yesterday.  I ignore it. He calls me today all upset about the dependency remark. Its not his fault, he had none.  Brings up his girlfriend. I did not want to talk about his girlfriend. I say I don't care about his fucking girlfriend.

"Nah, you don't care about anyone nor anything," he says.

He calls me up to have a go about not picking up tobacco off him. I say I'll pick it up from a shop from now on. More reliable like British gas costs more but is more reliable and I'm independent. He ends up characters assassinating me over the phone!  I said vI didn't care about his girlfriend and he puts that out as I don't care about anything or anyone. Makes me feel even more cheap! I have to play nice 'cos the old cun* plays music on a wednesday night with me at the pub. Its a spiteful person I'm dealing with here and I end the phone call showing my true colours. Asking him, how does he like my true fucking colours? Don't deal with black market bums kids, they'll have you  looking like a bitch when you've got a problem about it.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

strontium71

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 21 July, 2011, 10:44:49 PM
Because I can't find the "Things that make you :-/" thread, and because I've just seen the advert for the new series of Dragon's Den.

WHAT THE FUCK is that new woman in it?? What are those RIDICULOUS shoulder pads and face like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle all about?? And that wig?? Jesus CHRIST!! She hasn't said a word yet and I already want to see her committed.

SBT

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I saw the trailer too and wondered what the hell was that?
...because I hate you.

Emperor

Aaaaaaaaaand that is the last straw with the window cleaner. He is no great shakes on the fundamental aspects of his job (and it is bordering on charity now), he even once turned up without a bucket because someone had stolen his and he'd never got round to buying a new one, but since splitting from a more competent team he has been relying on his idiot son who keeps trying the brilliant scam of coming around to collect the window cleaning money, despite his dad telling us not to pay him since he managed to pull this off the first time and went and drank all the money. Giving him the knockback again today I go out to the car and find it has been keyed right down the pavement side and is the only car to have got that treatment in the road. No one saw him doing it (that I know of) and it could, conceivable, happened this morning but this pushes things just far enough that it is time to look for a new window cleaner, preferably one that knows how to clean windows properly.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Zarjazzer

I coulda bought a copy of Asylum (from Oxfams) I could have been a contender. Instead all I have is an empty shelf and the thought of what might have been if I wasn't such a stingy git.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 25 July, 2011, 07:14:16 PM
I coulda bought a copy of Asylum (from Oxfams) I could have been a contender. Instead all I have is an empty shelf and the thought of what might have been if I wasn't such a stingy git.
Look on the bright side. You could've bought a copy of Asylum.
We never really die.

Zarjazzer

Quote from: The Cosh on 25 July, 2011, 07:21:23 PM
Quote from: Zarjazzer on 25 July, 2011, 07:14:16 PM
Look on the bright side. You could've bought a copy of Asylum.

I've never actually read it. Oxfam did have a copy of Red Seas -perhaps I should have got that as I always like B&W art. But now they're gone ! Gone! Like tears in rain-oops wrong universe. :-[
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

The Legendary Shark

All these moments will be lost, in time... like GNs in Oxfam.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

HdE

Quote from: Emperor on 24 July, 2011, 03:54:55 PM
Aaaaaaaaaand that is the last straw with the window cleaner.

Speaking as somebody who has worked in this field...

Entirely justified. There's two types of window cleaners. Bluntly thse fall into the category of 'legit' and 'chancers'.

The chancers are usually easy to spot. If your guy has no transport, does a bad job, has a slow work rate and is cheap, then something ain't right. During my time in that line of work, I spotted a number of these sorts dawdling about trying to earn easy beer money.

Honestly - and don't take this as a dig at your good sef, Emp, because you gave the guy a chance - I'm amazed that people take these types on in the first place.

The sad truth is, if you want quality work from your window cleaner, you DO have to shop around for someone who's trustworthy and be prepared to pay more than you might expect. Also, DON'T look for somebody on the basis that they will be regular as clockwork. Because NOBODY in that line of business can be. 

HdE

Also, my life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments because of this expensive keyboard that doesn't register all of my keystrokes. Apologies for the typos, folks!

mogzilla

one of my neighbours is over doing the happy grass! every day when i walk past i'm getting the stink of it ,not too long ago he was arrested for a property of his he "alledgedly" let out was being used to grow the stuff , but the weathers lovely and i feel i cant open minis window ...

HdE

That does indeed suck, Mogzilla.

I have new neighbours, who can't go a single day without standing outside (underneath my bedroom window) and smoking what seems like a whole pack of regular cigarettes. Being a devout non-smoker, it puts me off opening my window, as the stench makes me feel physically ill.