Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noisybast

This. Totally.

I have never felt so let down, unsupported and flat out powerless as I have since I first reported this to the police. I stupidly thought they'd view it as an easy arrest to keep their figures up. Turns out a stolen bicycle is just not interesting enough, even when I do all the bloody donkey work for them.

I don't know why I'm surprised. Around 1998-99, I was badly beaten up at a bus stop by five chavs for wearing a leather jacket instead of a tracksuit. It was the latest in a series of increasingly violent incidents involving the same gang, who had seemingly targeted me because I was local, different and frequently out alone. I was concussed and needed stitches. When the police eventually arrived, several hours later, they took a statement with an air of disinterest and griped to my parents that they'd been called away from a traffic accident for this.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

JamesC

Having worked in a public city centre building for the last 12 years I have thousands of stories of Police disinterest / incompetence.
It almost makes me want to become a petty criminal because the chances of actually getting caught for anything seem minimal.
From my experience things like bike thefts tend to be put down to the actions of a small group of regularly nicked scrotes who get asked if there are any other offences they'd like taken into consideration when they're in court. They actually get a lesser sentence for 'owning up' and the police get to close their cases nice and neatly without having to do any extra work.

von Boom

They've watched too many police dramas and expect their lives to be like that. They can't even feign interest in real police work any more.

Professor Bear

Quote from: radiator on 28 June, 2013, 10:02:52 AMWhen the police arrived, they took a statement, but treated us in an extraordinarily patronising manner. They repeatedly tried to get us to admit that we had somehow antagonised the gang - that they must have been the bar we were in, and we must have had some kind of altercation with them prior.

Ah, victim-blaming Due Diligence is merely a part of police procedure.
A mate of mine was hospitalised several years ago when he was jumped after leaving a bar, and only for the fact that this happened immediately outside the building and he was spotted laying on the ground, he'd have died, as he spent several days having his breathing done by machines.  Like me, my mate is Catholic and got a hiding from another Catholic after leaving a Protestant bar (we both live in a very Nationalist town) some time in the early hours after a lock-in.  He'd never met the guy, never even heard of him, so he thought nothing of the police questions about knowing him or having met him before - at the guy's trial, it was said he had a long-standing beef with my mate, and the fact the police had asked questions about this was trotted out as part of his mostly-successful defence.  The fact that this happened hours after the bar closed and the guy was a hardcore Nationalist in a Protestant area in the wee hours of the morning didn't seem to factor much into things.

Dandontdare

An office I used to work in was burgled one night. we'd had a few petty thefts, but this time the place was ransacked with computers etc nicked. The police investigated and found the fingerprints of our night-time security guard (and his smackhead brother) inside cupboards that they should have had no access to.

His defence was that the prints were there from the earlier petty thefts, but he hadn't done the burglary, although he'd been on duty that night and had seen nobody else. He was not charged with any offence.

My own prints were taken for elimination and we were told we could attend the station after being eliminated in order to witness them being destroyed. Despite repeated requests, this never happened.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I hate it when you're watching Countdown and the numbers round is so easy it's almost insulting
You may quote me on that.

Satanist

I've waited in all day for B & Q to deliver a new toilet that now when I open the box looks like it was dropped from a FUCKING helicopter!!! Aaaargh!!!!!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Tiplodocus

I left it too late to catch Fast and Furious 6 at the cinema.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

vzzbux

Don't know where to put this so here it lies.
Just found out I am going to be a gramps.
She is 17 in a few weeks. Stupid girl.
At least me and the ex had a good laugh about it earlier.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Frank

Quote from: vzzbux on 05 July, 2013, 10:01:03 PM
Don't know where to put this so here it lies.
Just found out I am going to be a gramps.
She is 17 in a few weeks. Stupid girl.
At least me and the ex had a good laugh about it earlier.

Congratulations?

vzzbux

She has been a complete bitch over the past year and it has been nearly that since I last saw her. Maybe this is the kick up the arse she needs. Only time will tell.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

maryanddavid

Its a tough one vzzbux, it often can be the making of someone, with family support. Congrats too, I hope it will bring much happiness for yourselves in the years to come.

Albion

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Simon Beigh

"To be honest I'm shocked but money has not got such a value to me. I think it is funny.

"I really love the idea of me creating something out of such expensive things that's worth less. I think it's brilliant."

Yeah - right. I bet his Missus gave him a kicking when he got home :lol:

Frank

Is there really any human being alive who doesn't know that old comics are worth silly money?