Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie boy

Last 2 job interviews I had, both told me I'd be looking at starting with 12hrs but they'd be bumped up in no time so I told them I'd be interested in that. Both told me I had been successful. When I ended up calling them a few weeks later to ask why I hadn't heard anything regarding a start date, both said no hours had came about so I'd have to wait until they did.
Applied for the Home Office through a temping agency. The agency was calling me a few times a week for a couple of weeks, saying they urgently needed me to come in with something or other to replace something (they'd previously said was good enough) else in my application pack- each call was supposedly on the last day my pack could be sent off. But anyway, after waiting more weeks, I finally got my email from the Home Office- the all important security questionnaire or whatever. To access this, I have to enter a security code. In all those times the temping agency had me rush in as well as in the guidance notes they gave me for this questionnaire, they never once told me about this security code or gave it to me!

TordelBack

Gah.  Think I have just lost a decent little job because I don't have Public Liability insurance in place in advance of being awarded the contract.  I  can't afford to maintain PL when I have no bloody work (and thus am no danger to the public*), but obviously I include the cost of same in my tender so that I can get it to cover the gig.  Of course I am several days deep into the tortuous tender process before the local authority decide to mention this.

I NEED WORK MONEY.

*In theory.

paddykafka

Hi Tordel,

If it's not too late, it might be worthwhile checking with your nearest Citizens Information office to see if they could point you in the right direction with regards to your Public Liability dilemma. I rang my nearest office to see if they had any info but apart from a very nice and helpful receptionist there was no one else to assist. She suggested going online to www.citizensinformation.ie to locate an office close to you. There might be grant-aid or some other funding solution available to sort your problem. Hope this is of some help anyway and best of luck.

All the best - Paddy Kafka

TordelBack

Cheers Paddy - believe it or not, I did eventually get it sorted in much the manner you describe.  You can get 50% of your PL insurance covered under a Technical Assistance Grant from the local SW office, provided you are an Enterprise-Allowance-approved start-up (which itself requires a minimum of 4 meetings, 6 forms and approval from 3 different bodies), and provided you submit three written quotations for said insurance to the SW office in advance, and provided you can find the 'Facilitator' responsible (mine seemed to have promptly escaped from her maximum-security cubicle and vanished into the Los Angeles underground), and provided they approve of the quote you favour, and provided you have the patience to go through all that... 

I do wish they wouldn't make qualifying for these things an endurance test of slogging between queues and appointments and unanswered voicemails and then more queues, but I am very pleasantly surprised that such a grant exists at all.

Still, after all that, it looks like I'm back in the running for the contract.  On my way back baby, oh yeah.

Colin Zeal

England collapsed in the cricket and look like they'll lose the first Test heavily unless something drastic happens. Or it rains for the next three days. Even worse than this is the fact that my Scottish friends have taken the chance to wind me up about this and my phone has been glowing hot with text messages since 7am this morning.

Proudhuff

good luck with that TB, you must have the patience of a saint

Mr Zeal: hahhaha.

as for my woes, Minimini Huff managed to miss the last trainout of Weegieville after the Antigua Monkeys last night... lesson learnt I hope
DDT did a job on me

I, Cosh

Quote from: Proudhuff on 22 November, 2013, 11:27:15 AM
as for my woes, Minimini Huff managed to miss the last trainout of Weegieville after the Antigua Monkeys last night... lesson learnt I hope
Only if you insisted he sleep in the bus station because it's character building.
We never really die.

radiator

God, eBay buyers are a shower of impatient twats aren't they.

Sold a load of stuff recently and am getting emails every day since asking if I have posted the items yet - one guy is emailing every 24 hours.

Refuse to reply to them. Get a life!

paddykafka

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 November, 2013, 07:09:21 PM

Still, after all that, it looks like I'm back in the running for the contract.  On my way back baby, oh yeah.

Glad to hear that, Tordel and fair play to you for your persistence. Hope it pays off!

TordelBack

Quote from: paddykafka on 22 November, 2013, 12:43:28 PMHope it pays off!

So do I!   :-\

Have to say, while all my current attempts at bootstrapping myself back into existence are frustrating, expensive and probably as ill-advised and poorly-timed as anything I've ever done (and that is one impressive list, believe me), it feels so good just to be doing something that seems like part of a potential future, rather than the dogend of past failures, that I'm really enjoying it.  Fool that I am.

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Cosh on 22 November, 2013, 11:52:02 AM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 22 November, 2013, 11:27:15 AM
Only if you insisted he sleep in the bus station because it's character building.

If it had been up to me that would have (had to have) been the solution...
DDT did a job on me

GrinningChimera

I have no money. Because I keep buying things. Every time I tell myself I will save money, something new and shiny comes along and demands that I buy it. And thanks to the internet I don't even need to leave the house to buy things. I mean, when you get an email saying "save 50% on all of this stuff but only today" you really don't have a choice.

I think the only way I can escape this is to become a monk. Or homeless.

Colin Zeal

Following on from my message on Friday about the cricket things have got even worse for England. My minor impediment isn't about them but the fact that I'm sat watching them play at 2am when I should be in bed but yet I can't stop watching.

TordelBack

Quote from: GrinningChimera on 23 November, 2013, 05:22:49 PM
I have no money. Because I keep buying things.

But if you had money, you'd have no things.  Money is for buying things.  It's all just a matter of timing, and who the things are for.

Proudhuff

Quote from: GrinningChimera on 23 November, 2013, 05:22:49 PM
I have no money. Because I keep buying things. Every time I tell myself I will save money, something new and shiny comes along and demands that I buy it. And thanks to the internet I don't even need to leave the house to buy things. I mean, when you get an email saying "save 50% on all of this stuff but only today" you really don't have a choice.

I think the only way I can escape this is to become a monk. Or homeless.

or don't go online?   :D or do what I do and ebay all the crap collectibles from the back of the cupboard/old boxes...
DDT did a job on me