Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveGYNWA

Don't know that one, but if you're ever near Soho Square then check out the Crobar and its walls.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

ZenArcade

If youre in Belfast check out the upstairs of the Hudson Bar, It is papered with covers from the old 2000ad monthly. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Legendary Shark

Just finished work. Back in again 2am Boxing Day. Harrumph :-(
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Ah well, at least you get the big day off. Where are you working these days anyway?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

True. Local transport firm driving little waggons and vans. It's okay and it's not hard work, just crappy hours.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 24 December, 2014, 04:26:33 PM
Just finished work. Back in again 2am Boxing Day. Harrumph :-(

Bloody hell lad, that's a bit harsh.  I sincerely hope they're piling on the double-time for that one.

JayzusB.Christ

Glad to hear you've got a job you're happy with anyway.... enjoy your day off and Merry Christmas!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

I'm not that fussed about Christmas any more, really. So long as I get to see Dr Who and scrounge a couple of roasties, that's good enough for me.
Thanks, chaps - and a very Merry Christmas to ye!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Goaty

Oh fuck! That they will block Netflix viewers if they watch US version of Netflix on International DNS, which I did, bye bye Netflix USA as they got all films & TV series in Subtitles which UK version dont got! :(

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/netflix-is-blocking-international-streamers-who-use-vpns-to-access-the-us-version-9956469.html

Rog69

Quote from: Goaty on 04 January, 2015, 09:25:37 PM
Oh fuck! That they will block Netflix viewers if they watch US version of Netflix on International DNS, which I did, bye bye Netflix USA as they got all films & TV series in Subtitles which UK version dont got! :(

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/netflix-is-blocking-international-streamers-who-use-vpns-to-access-the-us-version-9956469.html

That's really annoying, I only just got a fast enough internet connection to be able to make streaming viable and Netflix along with UnblockUS was on my shopping list  :(.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Rog69 on 06 January, 2015, 07:33:46 PM
Quote from: Goaty on 04 January, 2015, 09:25:37 PM

That's really annoying, I only just got a fast enough internet connection to be able to make streaming viable and Netflix along with UnblockUS was on my shopping list  :(.

Not only is this not true, it seems it originated from a torrent site... I wonder why they'd do that..?

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jan/05/netflix-denies-crackdown-on-vpn-users#comment-45792795

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

I like Netflix UK, so this makes no odds to me.

However, I would like to applaud Mr Clements for his retort to the pro-BitTorrent commenter on that Grauniad page. Bravo!

Professor Bear

But sadly factually inaccurate, as copyright violation isn't theft, it's a violation of archaic rights to reproduce work that the law hasn't updated to remain relevant to emergent technologies.  Apple and Netflix have proved people are happy to pay for stuff they can get for free via torrents, the various creative industries just have to stop playing the victim and work for their buck like everyone else.

Also stay off the Guardian comments section, Richmond.  I commented there once and felt dirty immediately afterwards, like I'd been dragged into a slanging match with some kids whilst passing their schoolyard at playtime.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Bear (PhD) on 06 January, 2015, 09:49:26 PM
Also stay off the Guardian comments section, Richmond.  I commented there once and felt dirty immediately afterwards, like I'd been dragged into a slanging match with some kids whilst passing their schoolyard at playtime.

It gets weird in there - as much as I'd like to think that participating in forums makes you develop an understanding that there are 'characters' that delight in rubbing people up the wrong way in every community  - some of the commenters there defy logic (although my brother's partner once asserted (wrongly I think) that the Guarbian's comment section was "worse than the Daily Heil's"!!)

Professor Bear

It's well-known that the Mail's readers camp out in the Guardian comments section to make ad hominem attacks on the paper, the paper's columnists, liberals, and women - when there's an article written by someone who falls into the latter three categories, note the increased hostility compared to the comments section of articles by male journalists.
There are some liberal commentators on the DM website, but they're largely redundant as the comments by default sort by which have been best-received, so the result is that the comments seem reasonable enough to begin with but get progressively more mad the further you read.