Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

I feels for ya banners - a cyclist rode into the back of me at a pedestrian crossing last night and then shouted AT ME to watch where I was going - as he rode away he got some loud and expletive laden "advice" about the meaning of the words PEDESTRIAN crossing.

Banners

Dandontdare

yes thanks, just limped for about five minutes - his front wheel went right on to my achilles tendon

TordelBack

Aargh and ouch there, chaps.

My daughter is learning a rather catchy song about an allosaurus in school.  Good good, you say.  BUT the song-sheet is illustrated with clip art of what is quite obviously a cutesified non-specific sauropod, undermining all my hard work on early-years cladistics: as if all the saurischia were interchangeable. Parent-Teacher meeting isn't going to be a one-sided affair this year, oh no.

sheridan

Quote from: Tordelback on 18 September, 2015, 12:36:38 PM
Aargh and ouch there, chaps.

My daughter is learning a rather catchy song about an allosaurus in school.  Good good, you say.  BUT the song-sheet is illustrated with clip art of what is quite obviously a cutesified non-specific sauropod, undermining all my hard work on early-years cladistics: as if all the saurischia were interchangeable. Parent-Teacher meeting isn't going to be a one-sided affair this year, oh no.
I want to know how the song goes now.

Grugz

Quote from: Dandontdare on 18 September, 2015, 11:58:34 AM
I feels for ya banners - a cyclist rode into the back of me at a pedestrian crossing last night and then shouted AT ME to watch where I was going - as he rode away he got some loud and expletive laden "advice" about the meaning of the words PEDESTRIAN crossing.

I can see both sides of this, when I were at school my brakes didn't work at the best of times but as it was pissing it down they didn't work at all, I found this out at the busy junction near school so I stopped by means of a car convieniently parked at the lights.

and I did miss the woman a few years ago who decided to just walk out in the road right in front of me and she had the cheek to give me abuse!
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Banners

Quote from: GrugzI can see both sides of this...

I know you're not being entirely serious, but a situation where I'm looking at £500 estimate for repair – discounted to a still significant £350 excess if I use my insurance and risk buggering my no-claims – with no comeback on the cyclist, can hardly be said to have two equal sides.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Grugz on 18 September, 2015, 08:18:26 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 18 September, 2015, 11:58:34 AM

I can see both sides of this, when I were at school my brakes didn't work at the best of times but as it was pissing it down they didn't work at all, I found this out at the busy junction near school so I stopped by means of a car convieniently parked at the lights.

Sounds like you were riding on the road where bikes belong (if you're over 12)  - this twat was riding on the pavement and crossing at a pedestrian crossing.

ZenArcade

Bastards flying on the pavement are a total hate of mine. I don't move one inch for the pricks Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Banners

The official repair estimate from when the cyclist went into me is now here, and it seems a hell of a lot...!

How can a cyclist be allowed to go around and cause this amount of damage without any repercussions?

TordelBack

Bloody hell, you could buy my car and tax and insure it for 2 years for that!  (That's an offer, by the way).  Does seem ludicrous that there's no comeback for you, but perhaps equally daft that the existing insurance system has left mechanics thinking they can quote that for fixing a nasty scratch and someone will pay it.   

Banners

Yes, I agree that the quote is preposterous and opportunistic – the car itself can't be worth much more than that. I think that once they knew it'll be an insurance job, the bodyshop just added loads of unnecessary extras to try and get as much as they can. For instance, things like taking out, checking and replacing the windows and lights on the side I was hit, are on the quote for some reason...(!)

Apparent malpractice such as this obviously pushes up everyone's premiums, which is another unfairness, but I'm bound to become guilty of perpetuating it. I've now had another quote for a much lower but still not insignificant £656, but as I'll 'only' be paying the £350 excess towards the repair, I'll be pushing for as much as I can get, and steering the insurance company towards the higher quote for what appears will be a more thorough and better job.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: Banners on 21 September, 2015, 11:20:14 PM
The official repair estimate from when the cyclist went into me is now here, and it seems a hell of a lot...!

How can a cyclist be allowed to go around and cause this amount of damage without any repercussions?
People driving cars are allowed to get away with much worse without repercussions.  I was in hospital for most of 2013, still can't walk unaided had many expenses and had to move house as a result.  The police / CPR did nothing.

Grugz

Quote from: Banners on 18 September, 2015, 09:21:02 PM
Quote from: GrugzI can see both sides of this...

I know you're not being entirely serious, but a situation where I'm looking at £500 estimate for repair – discounted to a still significant £350 excess if I use my insurance and risk buggering my no-claims – with no comeback on the cyclist, can hardly be said to have two equal sides.

my apologies if I was appearing too flippant, obviously that prat was at fault if hes caused that damage with no comeback ,if it was a car or motorbike you could have reported him using his reg plate, perhaps there shoud be a similar system for cyclists ,though god knows how theyd go about it.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html