Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grugz

I CAN READ!!!  no eye test as yet but I tried some of those £1.99 reading glasses from home bargains and now I can see the tiny print on my fallout 4 guide and can catch up on my megazines as I gave up before Christmas...

I can also look disapprovingly over the tops of them at my daughter when shes being cheeky. ;)
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Dandontdare

Quote from: Grugz on 03 February, 2016, 06:13:15 PM
I can also look disapprovingly over the tops of them at my daughter when shes being cheeky. ;)

When I had to start wearing readers this was one of the few big plus points. It's a scientifically proven fact that wearing glasses makes you look cleverer - this is amplified 100% by looking over the top of them because it suggests "I'm talking to you, but I'm still reading at the same time because I'm just so damn smart"

wearing them on a little chain however negates this effect and makes you look like a camp pensioner.

ZenArcade

The multiple clicks of assorted squaxx chains landing in the bin. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

I, Cosh

Quote from: Dandontdare on 03 February, 2016, 06:27:16 PM
Quote from: Grugz on 03 February, 2016, 06:13:15 PM
When I had to start wearing readers this was one of the few big plus points. It's a scientifically proven fact that wearing glasses makes you look cleverer - this is amplified 100% by looking over the top of them because it suggests "I'm talking to you, but I'm still reading at the same time because I'm just so damn smart"

wearing them on a little chain however negates this effect and makes you look like a camp pensioner.
Depends how many links, surely!
We never really die.

von Boom

Went to the dentist. I have to have my wisdom teeth pulled. Drok.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: von Boom on 03 February, 2016, 07:42:40 PM

Sympathise - tis about to happen to me. In a very big surgical type situation. MY DOK.

von Boom

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 03 February, 2016, 08:41:26 PM

Sympathise - tis about to happen to me. In a very big surgical type situation. MY DOK.

Well, at least the x-rays show the roots are well aligned. The dentist feels they should slide out fairly easily. Easy for him.  :rolleyes:

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 03 February, 2016, 08:41:26 PM

Sympathize too - had mine done years ago. Awoke with two bruises - one on my forehead (hand-shaped) and one on my chest (knee-shaped)... I'm sure it's more scientific these days, though. Probably.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

I make 12-14 journeys on this tram a week. At least twice a week someone sits beside me who has apparently shat themselves, puked on themselves or not washed for a couple of months.  And that's not counting the folk that reek of booze, gas, solvent or that wonderful sour heroin smell.

Right now I'm in danger of vomitting myself, as the gent beside me appears to have been eating particularly noxious catshit, and keeps picking at his teeth and heavily exhaling in my direction.  I've never smelled anything like it, and I dig cesspits for living and use building site toilets. Two rows down there's a junkie with a puppy loudly threatening to murder the next person who looks at him, so I'm not keen on drawing attention to myself by forcing my way down the carriage.

One in six journeys seems a little frequent for this kind of thing, even for a line that links two major hospitals, several courts, and runs from the inner city to some ofvtoughest parts of the Western suburbs (Cheeverstown I'm looking at you).

Add to that the line closed by at least one signal failure or RTA a week, and at least one violent incident,  and I do wonder what the heck is going on.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Tordelback on 04 February, 2016, 05:06:07 PM
Add to that the line closed by at least one signal failure or RTA a week, and at least one violent incident,  and I do wonder what the heck is going on.
The start of Block Mania by the sounds of it!

I'm with Stephen Fry block, by the way. You?

Dandontdare

Manchester's trams are quite expensive so we don't get too many of the tramp/junkie demographic - ticket checking is variable though. I once worked out that if I had not bought any tickets for my daily commute over the last year, the number of times I would've been caught and fined £100 would still have worked out cheaper than my season ticket.

TordelBack

The Smell has followed me home, I keep catching whiffs of it, so I'm faced with the possibility that (a) I'm losing my very last marble; (b) it's permeated my clothes; (C) it was me all along. I can't decide which is worse.

Something Fishy

Because after nearly 30 years since I first started training for it I've had to jack in my career in computing.  My eyes are just too fucked and hurting all the time and have gone downhill very badly since my last surgery in 08.

I had planned to get to November when my contract ends so I could then have claimed jsa whilst I figure out what's next. Sadly I can't get there though so won't b able to claim a penny and have no idea what's coming next.

Might be skint for a while but being ill just isn't worth it.

So yeah, bit shitty but hopefully I will figure out a way forward.

TordelBack

That truly is a rough situation, Fishy. I'm sure you'll find other ways you can use your skills and experience, but you still have my sympathies.