Main Menu

2000AD: Project Sketchbook

Started by ming, 16 November, 2013, 04:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 14 February, 2017, 07:23:15 PM
Wow it must have been something special to seem them in the flesh.

That is a doozy by Mr Coleby.

Thanks, Colin - yeah it was an amazing treat to see three of the four books in person (for the first time since they started their global travels four years ago); shame I missed you on the day.  Project Sketchbook will hopefully be all over and done with by the time the 50th event rolls around so I'll try and catch you at that one!

No Lego plans for this weekend (busy with other stuff) but this just came in from Simon Harrison...

Jim_Campbell

Fucking hell. I'm not an uncritical praiser of Harrison's time in the prog, but that's great.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

ming

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 March, 2017, 07:55:13 PM
Fucking hell. I'm not an uncritical praiser of Harrison's time in the prog, but that's great.

Thanks, Jim!  I'm really happy that Simon was up for this; Project Simon now includes Messrs Davis, Fraser, Coleby and Harrison; just Bisley and Jacob to go...  :lol:

Colin YNWA

Yep always been a big fan of Simon Harrison and it would certainly appear he still has it!

Mute77

Love that strontium dog! I really liked Harrison's strontium dog back in the day too..

Mardroid

Quote from: Mute77 on 12 March, 2017, 01:47:21 PM
Love that strontium dog! I really liked Harrison's strontium dog back in the day too..

Yes. I found the stuff he drew ... unsettling*.. to read, but his art was always interesting and dynamic, and his depiction of Johnny Alpha was very good.

*This isn't necessarily a bad thing, concerning the subject matter and the resolution to that arc. It gave me a real sense of depression. Strangely, the artwork of Colin MacNeil on the same arc did not make me feel that way despite the writer being the same, and the ending being [spoiler]even more depressing if anything.[/spoiler] This is not a criticism of Mr. MacNeil's work at all, as his artwork was just as beautiful and I actually found it easier to read, because it felt less oppressive, despite the dark story matter.

Both artists worked in their own way, but it really brought home to me how the artwork can alter the tone of the story, even though the writer is the same.

ming

Illustrator extraordinaire and Deadline alumnus Jonathan Edwards is a big 2000AD fan (his previous takes on Strontium Dog and Dredd are worth checking out) and I'm really, really happy he was up for doing a little something for Project Sketchbook...

Jim_Campbell

That's brilliant. I follow Jonathan on Twitter and every image he posts is just a delight, as is this.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Just spend a very pleasent 20 minutes with a cup of tea and this thread.

What could be better... well aside from the book being yours that is of course!

Dash Decent

Lovely stuff, ming.  Thanks for continuing to share all the thrill-power goodness.

I read the Kingdom: Aux Drift trade yesterday and was reflecting on some of the similarities between Rogue and Gene the Hackman.  That fantastic image by Jonathan Edwards, with it's square shapes and thick muscular neck (and even the colouring) really reinforces the thought in my head.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

ming

Glad you're liking these - I'll keep dusting off the thread and sharing contributions as they come in.

Quote from: Dash Decent on 16 April, 2017, 12:24:11 AM
I read the Kingdom: Aux Drift trade yesterday and was reflecting on some of the similarities between Rogue and Gene the Hackman.  That fantastic image by Jonathan Edwards, with it's square shapes and thick muscular neck (and even the colouring) really reinforces the thought in my head.

Definitely; the whole 'bred for war' thing together with the current rebellious turn Gene-dog's taking... I love Kingdom to bits.

JoFox2108

QuoteIt's all a deep end.

JoFox2108

Quote from: ming on 06 August, 2014, 08:06:16 PM
Quote from: Spikes on 06 August, 2014, 05:51:06 PM
Nice to see these posts popping up at (fairly) regular intervals, now. Some cracking pieces, and yes, its all kinds of lovely to see 'Ewins 2014', as others have said. But my..... that Langley Slaine is nice!

Thanks, Iain!

That reminds me, I neglected to add this fine Mean Machine, also by Clint.

I love the detail in this!

Sent from my HUAWEI M2-A01W using Tapatalk

QuoteIt's all a deep end.

ming

Dan Lish has just blown my mind again...  I love this to bits.