Main Menu

GARTH ENNIS PLANES and BOYS

Started by Tiplodocus, 02 October, 2008, 10:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Anyone else been following Crossed?

Up to now I've read it in the shop but the latest issue was intriguing enough to be added to my wee bundle (two Sherlock Holmes, a Do andriods dream and an old Omivistascope)   

Its a highly enjoyable zombie helltrek but with GE sweary bits and gore.
DDT did a job on me

Paul faplad Finch

Quote from: Proudhuff on 13 October, 2009, 03:57:54 PM
Anyone else been following Crossed?

Up to now I've read it in the shop but the latest issue was intriguing enough to be added to my wee bundle (two Sherlock Holmes, a Do andriods dream and an old Omivistascope)   

Its a highly enjoyable zombie helltrek but with GE sweary bits and gore.

I'm waiting for the trades on this, as I do with all my comics. Other than 2000ad of course. This is one I'm waiting particularly impatiently for I have to admit.

Am I allowed to say that I only buy trades. I overheard a conversation in the shop the other day between a staffmember and a customer with a big pile of comics.  The customer was bemoaning the fact that his mate had gotten angry with him for giving him spoilers. The staff guy's reply?

"Fuck him.  I fucking hate tradewaiters, set of pricks."

Is this some stigma I have been blissfully unaware of. I felt a little nervous as I sidled gingerly past with my pile of trades.  I consoled myself that perhaps this is why the gorgeous girl in the comic shop won't give me the time of day. It's nowt to do with my crushingly dull personality or pitiful looks. She just hates people who wait for trades.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Richmond Clements

Quote"Fuck him.  I fucking hate tradewaiters, set of pricks."

Is this some stigma I have been blissfully unaware of. I felt a little nervous as I sidled gingerly past with my pile of trades.

Wereas I would have asked to see the manager and complained about him. Swearing in front of customers? That's a no-no.

Satanist

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 13 October, 2009, 04:29:33 PM
Quote"Fuck him.  I fucking hate tradewaiters, set of pricks."

Is this some stigma I have been blissfully unaware of. I felt a little nervous as I sidled gingerly past with my pile of trades.

Wereas I would have asked to see the manager and complained about him. Swearing in front of customers? That's a no-no.

To be fair he was swearing in front of a scummy tradewaiter :) even worse above that huffster admits to treating other peoples future purchases like hes in a fucking library >:(

Its a strange one as I imagine if we all waited on the collected edition then there would be no comics to collect?

Anyhoo just picked up the latest issue of Crossed and it is indeed great stuff. It has a man weilding a [spoiler] horses cock [/spoiler]in it and thats just the first page.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Buddy

Quote from: faplad on 13 October, 2009, 04:10:11 PM

"Fuck him.  I fucking hate tradewaiters, set of pricks."

I think I would have dumped all the trades you were carrying onto the counter top, looked him in the eye and said "I'M a prick tradewaiter, but I guess I'll wait on my trades and spend my money elsewhere"

Or something like that.

TordelBack

F****ng Tradewaiters!  Better to be a Librarywaiter like me, we're really killing comics.

Thought latest issue of Crossed (7) was disappointingly mild, and managed to wring not an iota of pathos out of the most significant story development yet.  I hope Walking Dead handles this better When the Time Comes.  

For the really good stuff you need to go back to the first issue, and what is still the most horrific, explicit and frankly disturbing comics double splash I've ever laid eyes on.  I actually despise myself a little (more) for thinking it's bloody brilliant.

Dandontdare

I'd have done the same: "If you think I'm a prick, I'll take my business elsewhere". You didn't mention which shop it was - c'mon NAME AND SHAME!

Forbidden Planet seem have a rep for rude condescending staff, though I've never had any bother personally, but I've recently discovered Travelling Man in Manchester which is even nicer - really friendly and helpful staff and just as much stock in a space a quarter of the size (more comics and less cash-in merchandising - though I was tempted by the big plastic Thor hammer the other day!)

Paul faplad Finch

Well, I was in a FP branch but I'll not say which as I've never had any kind of pproblem in there in the past. Either this guy is alone in his feelings or the rest of them just swallow the hate when they're dealing with me.  As for the swearing, I got the feeling that they were old mates (the conversation I heard was certainly very casual) but yeah, he did say it loud enough for me to hear so possibly I could have complained. Never really occured to me though as if I'm honest I swear like a trooper in casual conversation so it just sounds normal when I hear it.

As for Travelling Man, I absolutely prefer it to FP. Make occasional trips to FP, like the one above, if I know I want something merchandise wise and will pick up some books while I'm there. Otherwise it's Travelling Man all the way. My local one is also much smaller than the nearby FP but does seem to have a much better range and yes, very friendly staff. Maybe they pay more than FP.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Satanist on 13 October, 2009, 04:42:13 PM
Quote from: His Lordship rac on 13 October, 2009, 04:29:33 PM
Quote"Fuck him.  I fucking hate tradewaiters, set of pricks."

To be fair he was swearing in front of a scummy tradewaiter :) even worse above that huffster admits to treating other peoples future purchases like hes in a fucking library >:(

Its a strange one as I imagine if we all waited on the collected edition then there would be no comics to collect?

Anyhoo just picked up the latest issue of Crossed and it is indeed great stuff. It has a man weilding a [spoiler] horses cock [/spoiler]in it and thats just the first page.

I am in a library, but that's me job.  ;D

I don't have a problem reading comics in the shop especally if there is a sign telling me not to. I can't afford to splash out £3 very time something might catch my eye and given I'm handing over a good whack most times I'm in I'm entitled to look. Having browsed the previous ones I've bought the recent one and will probably now buy the Trade. Now if I could look thro em I would have just left it same goes for everything I've mentioned above, so its an investment for the shop allowing the likes of me to browse.

More importantly can't they ever surprise us with the music in FP? It seems designed to drive people out with sheer volume and its boringness.
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Over at Newsarama ennis has confirmed the other 2 stories in the current run of Battlefields after 'Happy Valley'. The sequel to 'Tankies' I'd already heard about but also a sequel to 'Night witches'

"The second is The Firefly And His Majesty, the sequel to series one's The Tankies, in which Sergeant Stiles finally gets a better tank- unfortunately, so do the Germans. The last one is Motherland, sequel to The Night Witches, wherein pilot Anna Kharkova gets posted to single-seat fighters in time for the battle of Kursk- one of the biggest and most terrible slaughtering matches of the entire war."

more here about the possiblity of future stories too...

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/091027-Ennis-Battlefields.html

Proudhuff

Latest Crossed anyone? that was not expected.I'm surprised its not been up  there with the boysin popularity ... first six now collected Hardback and on sale at 19 Quid!!!
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Finally got around reading 'Battler Briton' which has been workig its way up my to read pile for an age now. What a romp, its brillant.

Ok so it can open to criticism that its just a well told but unoriginal war action story, but it wears its colours on it sleaves with pride and given what it is it's brillant. Ennis just has a blast with it all. Once you've read his introduction you have a pretty clear idea of where the story is going to go and what's going happen but he has such fun with its a blast to read.

All this and Colin Wilson art who is one of my favourites anyhoo.

Ripping yarn.

Mike Gloady

Wilson is brilliant at that type of thing.  On paper, I think I'm agnostic about Ennis in many ways, but when I've actually got something he's written in front of me I invariably enjoy it. 

Damn it. 

THAT'S ANOTHER COMIC I'LL PROBABLY HAVE TO LOOK AT.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

strontium_dog_90

To any fans of The Boys living in good old Tyne & Wear, upon the first of several dreaded Christmas shopping "adventures" yesterday, I found that both FP and Travelling Man have copies of book five, the collected mini-series "Herogasm," which surprised me; Amazon is still listing it as not being out until the 19th of December. Not sure if they're imported copies or not, but it's well worth a read, and I've already demanded the collected edition for Christmas. But I'll probably have to keep it well away from the increasingly comic-curious kids . . .

Dandontdare

Pleasant surprise to find The Boys: Herogasm on the doormat this morning - been so long since I pre-ordered it I'd almost forgotten about it. If you liked the earlier volumes, the quality is maintained. Packed full of hilarious moments - a four way featuring the "Fantasticos", Vic the Veep's "dickie hat", Uncle Dream's acceptance speech at The Supies awards to name just a few.

The only thing I can't work out is why Hughie hasn't recognised his girlfriend as one of the Seven yet. Surely he'd have at least seen pictures of the new line-up by now, given his job?