Main Menu

'Free' Megazine GN Suggestions

Started by radiator, 01 July, 2008, 12:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Cosh- I'm taking umbridge over this. The strips in Zarjaz & Dogbreath are not harvested from scripts sent in and rejected- (That's FutureQuake :)) they are in almost all cases created simply for the fun of playing with Thargs toys. Admittedly, a lot of the top end artwork is used as portfolio submissions for his Emerald Awesomeness, but they are created with passion and talent and are a long way from being called 'dredgings'.

Kev Levell

Have a little respect for the fanzines please... you don't like them - that's your prerogative. You don't want the reprint to comprise anything from them - fine. But please have a little more care when you run down the unpaid efforts of others.

I think a certain amount of constructive criticism is fair enough, needed even. To disparage the efforts of the small press in this way, however, is nigh-on unforgivable.

From your comment Cosh, I suspect you haven't read one of the Fanzines recently...

Richmond Clements

I, Cosh

Yeah, fair enough. I don't doubt the sincerity, enthusiasm and ability of the contributors and I've no desire to go over the sort of ground that was covered when the Meg had the small press slot. When it comes to comics, I have no interest in trawling through the small and independent presses looking for the gems and rely on Tharg to be my quality control filter.

Double standards considering I'm happy to follow all manner of local musical acts of hugely varying styles and quality? Possibly, but there's only so much time in the day.
We never really die.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: judgefett on 23 June, 2011, 12:07:39 PM
Id like to see the 70s/80s Brett Ewins, Brendan McCarthy et al smallpress stuff that Ive never seen. Some of the earliest droids small press work would be very cool to see.

Squaxx champing at the bit for early work by droid gods?

Reprint Future Shocks Tharg baby. Future Shocks.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

judda fett

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 24 June, 2011, 02:57:15 AM
Quote from: judgefett on 23 June, 2011, 12:07:39 PM
Id like to see the 70s/80s Brett Ewins, Brendan McCarthy et al smallpress stuff that Ive never seen. Some of the earliest droids small press work would be very cool to see.

Squaxx champing at the bit for early work by droid gods?

Reprint Future Shocks Tharg baby. Future Shocks.

Yeah that'd work, in the meantime Im going to cop the Art of Brett Ewins book!

JSouth5942

How about a floppy or series of floppy's containing Tales from the Black Museum?

I've always enjoyed these and although its a fairly new series in 2000AD history I can't see them getting the full GN treatment anytime soon and would love a collection of them on my shelf.

Jason

Emperor

Quote from: JSouth5942 on 27 June, 2011, 03:54:35 PM
How about a floppy or series of floppy's containing Tales from the Black Museum?

I've always enjoyed these and although its a fairly new series in 2000AD history I can't see them getting the full GN treatment anytime soon and would love a collection of them on my shelf.

It's a good idea as there are some quality tales in there but it might be a little too soon.

What would be an idea is to collect the Strange Cases stories which were the TFtBM's ancestor and they have a strong line-up of creators including Warren Ellis' only 2000AD-related work:

http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=thrill&page=profiles&Comic=Megazine&choice=STRANGE
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

maryanddavid

Id be well up for Dogbreath or Zarjaz Best of. Think back to the summer specials and annuals and compare them to the output of Clements and Evans and be pleasently surprised. If there is anyone out there that wants extra QUAILTY 2000ad material you could do worse that checking out Zarjaz and Dogbreath. The ABC special is the latest I have read, and it is excellent.

I think I posted this before, but we all know that Tharg is is too busy to produce another new talent Winter Special, so how about doing a best of new talent Winter Special and taking the best of the Fanzine produce, the prize been published in an 'official' 2000ad produce(not necessarily cannon) and some small renumeration for the efforts for the creative team.

David

Bolt-01

Folks- with regards to printing strips from Zarjaz & Dogbreath- T.M.O. says no. Leave it alone, you'll make it bleed. As far as being a useful playground and a way of actually working on submissions for his verdant emeraldness- all good, but if Tharg wanted to commission a creator- it would be for something new.

PreacherCain

How about a Sean Phillips collection!?

Emperor

Quote from: PreacherCain on 28 June, 2011, 07:17:21 PM
How about a Sean Phillips collection!?

Good idea (although material that hasn't been collected might be tricky to find, although if you did a Strange Cases collection you'd scoop up his 2 stories there) - those artist-focused collections are a treat and he does have solid name recognition in the US.

On artist-focused collections - what about Colin MacNeil? Not such a big name over the Pond (which is both a loss for them and a bonus for us, as it means Tharg can give him as much work as he can cope with, although I think we'd all like to see him do another Conan story at some point) but his work still stands up well today - I recently re-read Vanguard and it looks magnificent still (the story also had a lot of promise). The only tricky thing is finding enough Dredd stories to make up a collection as his older work has now been Case Filed and more recent gigs have tended to be on high profile Dredd stories that get collected pretty quickly. Maelstrom and The Corps were both collected in Extreme Editions, which might rule them out but there should be enough material around, or collect Vanguard.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

ukdane

Cheers

-Daney

Emperor

Finn? It went a bit off the rails so a trade might not be wanted but the early stories would be well worth collecting somewhere.

maryanddavid

Rebellion may not own Finn, its a spin off of Third World War, which is still copyright Egmont.

David