Main Menu

V for Vendetta review

Started by Buddy, 20 February, 2006, 09:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Sounds promising, but I've read others that say it's pants.

We'll see.

Link: http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1521432/story.jhtml?newsSection=loder" target="_blank">V

Bico

Is it just me, or did the proof-reader of that review remove the word "Dude" from every other sentence?
That reads suspiciously like a press release, rather than a review.

Art

MTV, your source for quality reviews...

Funt Solo

I couldn't possibly read any further than:

'It's an amazing movie. Not in exactly the way "The Matrix" was (how tired would that be?)'

How was The Matrix amazing?  How tired would that be?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

I did do a word search, though, and came away with 9 mentions of the Matrix in a review about V for Vendetta.  

How tired would that be?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Bico

Art

Like, totally ten times more rad than the Matrix Reloaded!

Adrian Bamforth

David Lloyd has seen it and praises it highly in SFX magazine (it has V on the cover but not really that much new stuff inside).

Q: Does the movie deliver?

A: "It's terrific. It'll present some challenges for dedicated admirers of the graphic novel because it takes major diversions from the original and wipes out some characters. But it keeps the spirit, the integrity, all the key and central scenes, and the strong political message of the original. Also, for me it was extraordinary to see scenes I'd worked at for maximum effect in the graphic novel brought to cinematic life with similar effect by Natalie Portman and Hugo Weaving."

Q: Could this finally be the film that does Alan Moore justice?

A: "You could only get an answer about that from Alan My view is that the film version is an extremely effective adaptation that has something of its own to say about general politics and the shockingly expedient wat that the worst kinds of governments run countries. It'll stand as a piece of creative work in its own right without having to depend on the support of the creators of the original incernation."

(this is me again) Personally, I adore the story and think about it all the time, though I don't think it's flawless - I'm not sure I care much about the political manoeuvrings at the top, other than it pointing out that they're fairly unpleasant people. The 'Leader', is fairly flat and the 'Fate' computer is obviously dated now, and the beurocracy in general. Finally, the revelation that V has nurtured chaos by having access to Fate all along is somewhat of a Deus Ex Machina, hacking just doesn't seem to me to be V's style. So I'll be happy if some of those elements are changed for the film. The moral heart of the film is obviously V's relationship with Evey and that sounds like it's come through unscathed (though Evey is older in the film).

I think the introduction to Guy Fawkes and new ending (the posters are a bit of a giveaway) are quite a good idea.

ADE

Art

GordonR

"David Lloyd has seen it and praises it highly in SFX magazine (it has V on the cover but not really that much new stuff inside)."

I'll remind you that Kev O'Neill was also going around saying how fab the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie was too, at the time of its release.

V for Vendetta might be great, but, well, David would say that, wouldn't he?

Bico

If I'm thinking of the same poster to which Ade alludes, can I assume that the new ending is ripped off from 'Amigos!  Amigos!  Amigos!'?

Funt Solo

Jesus H Spoilers, people.

(Something I've been guilty of myself, I know.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Leigh S

Also see all the "not too bad" comments from various bods at the time of 'that' film.  

Quirkafleeg

>V for Vendetta might be great, but, well, David would say that, wouldn't he?

And Mr Moore has disowned it for 'eggy-bread' or something I seem to remember

Adrian Bamforth

Sorry, I don't know much about changes there may or may not be myself so please don't take any of the above too literally.

ADE